Tucson mineral show 2014 in review (with pictures of goodies!)

Vashii

In February of this year I had the glorious experience of going to the Tucson gem show for the first time. I'd love to share pictures and a little of what I experienced out there. I went because I am a bench jeweler living on the east coast and there are very few shows that sell the kind of stones and crystals I am looking for: raw/uncut and unique stones. If I wanted diamonds and emeralds, I would buy from the same places online that I buy all my other faceted stones. I wanted to touch and feel the stones before I bought them, not just look at pictures.

I stayed in Tucson for a week out of the month long riot of wonder that is the Tucson gem show (which is really 40+ gem, mineral, and fossil shows occurring simultaneously all over the city from the end of January to the end-ish of February). Everyone I spoke to told me that there was nothing like it in the entire world. Having not visited the entire wold, I cannot speak to the accuracy of such statements. What I can say is that it put things like the Natural History Museum's gem and mineral exhibit to utter shame on a scale that is almost incomprehensible. I walked the shows for 5-8 hours a day, every day for a week and saw maybe 1/3 of what there was to see.

I'll confess I did not make it to the metaphysical show at the Clarion, although it was on my list of shows to see. I was not entirely impressed with some of the mass produced metaphysical offerings at the shows I did go to. Lots of mass produced pendulums/wands/pendants from overseas. (I will freely admit my bias- I make all my silver wire and sheet from scratch and everything I make is highly individual, with the wearer in mind, and I believe that the magic is in the making of an item. I do not generally connect with mass manufactured items.) I'm still in the early stages of learning about the stones and their properties, but what I do not is that all of the stones I bought were meant to come home with me. They each "spoke" through the clamor of all the other stones and I found them, though some were louder than others.

Pictures! Forgive the horrible lighting on this one. We found this stunning, huge amethyst geode outside a booth on the side of the road. (the hubs was standing there to give a sense of size and look silly. He's 6'3")
*~HUGE amethyst geode!~*
Next to the geode was this stunning smokey quartz point easily the size of my torso:
*~Smokey Quartz~*
*~Acres of Labradorite!~* (I wish labradorite was easier to photograph...)
This booth had easily a *~dozen and a half tables~* piled 3-4 deep with boxes of cabs.
Sometimes it was less than fancy, tables covered in *~blue tarp and crystals~*.
Most things were sold by weight, like a *~bag~* of *~singing quartz~* that I bought by the kg and hand sorted.

This *~tourmilated and rutilated quartz~* was one of my two favorite buys, the other being this stunning *~hematoid quartz~* which SCREAMED at me until I bought it. The hematoid quartz was also called harlequin quartz or fire quartz at another booth where I bough them in *~cab form~* along with some *~rough cut moonstone with tourmaline inclusions~*. I also managed to snage this incredibly lovely princess cut *~oregon sunstone~* and two perfectly matched triangle *~garnets~*

I got lots of rough stuff too, including this collection of *~imperial topaz, kyanite, tourmaline, garnet, and what I think is apatite~*.

I found a really unusual *~quartz with epidote inclusions~*, an *~azurite cab~*, and this amazing *~agate with a small druzy~* that a trusted healer told me would facilitate travel between worlds.

Those are the best pics but if you want to browse the album, here it is: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DarkElf1257/library/Tucson 2014

Some of the stones have told me what they are going to be and others have not yet but I can't wait to work with them all.
It was an amazing experience and if anyone is passionate about crystals and stones, Tucson is the trip of a lifetime and well worth it! Thanks for looking!

Briar Rose

I don't know what to write. I am in awe of all your pictures! I would love to go to the Tucson show. Being a miner is my dream job.

I love the black framed tray with the imperial topaz. I have just one of those. It's soothing to me, yet gives me strength. The whole tray is beautiful.

Do you work with Crystal Grids? In all my years of working with Crystals I have yet to know the sound of a singing Crystal. Could you please explain it to me? Is that bag- the whole bag full of those singing Crystals? Do you have to have more than one singing Crystal for the sound to work? Explain please? That must be the best way to rev up the oscillattion for the tuning of all the Crystals.

wildchilde

thanks for the amazing pics and tour! I was at the Tucson show many years ago. It is an unbelievable experience but soooo tiring! and absolutely no way to get to all that is available. You really have to have a handle on what you want too or you will break the bank the first day! LOL

That amethyst geode is insane!! glad you mentioned how tall your hubby is...really puts the size and power of that geode into perspective!

Vashii

Do you work with Crystal Grids? In all my years of working with Crystals I have yet to know the sound of a singing Crystal. Could you please explain it to me? Is that bag- the whole bag full of those singing Crystals? Do you have to have more than one singing Crystal for the sound to work? Explain please? That must be the best way to rev up the oscillattion for the tuning of all the Crystals.
@Briar Rose:
So, I'll be honest, I have not worked with crystal grids at all. In fact I only recently learned of their existence thanks to Instagram and some of the crystal people I follow on there. If I can find a way to accurately record what they sound like, I will upload a video. (The mic on my smart phone is atrocious.) The only way I can describe it is a very high pitched tinkling when lightly struck. The best sound is from 2 or more crystals but a single crystal does make the sound when tapped lightly with a thin metal object. The whole bag was full of crystals from 4+" long to short inch long shards. I'm trying to come up with a design that will allow them to be lightly struck when wearing them as earrings. As for tuning crystals, I wish I knew more about that but I really can't say. I'm only just beginning my journey for knowledge with regards to crystals.

@wildchilde:
Thank you so much! Their were dozens of huge geodes, though that was the biggest. They had many "matched pairs" that were book-matched slices of the same formation. Some even had citrine or black amethyst crystals instead of the more common purple amethyst. Between that and the petrified wood, I would have loved to just design a whole house around such items! (I would have to win the lottery first though.)

Laura Borealis

Wow! I wouldn't have known where to look. What an amazing experience that must have been.

stonesatiety

What a fun trip. You found some treasures! I plan to look around at the cabs and such next year. If you return, maybe stop at the Clarion and nearby area first? You will find a concentration of very nice stones there.

This year I visited my friends who have had a room for the show in the Clarion for years. A few stones came for someone recovering from a stroke, and a beautifully-carved labradorite turtle came for me! I knew it right away, but walked around a bit before buying it. The entire turtle flashes blue on top and on bottom. I've never seen anything quite like it. A slight shift turns the blue to gold. Wow!

I've found that a lot of crystals sing. That means they make a "ting" when tapped. I've never used metal. I hold a crystal by the raised edges in such a way that I don't dampen the vibration. Then I tap it with my fingernail. I have found anything from small laserwands to 12+ pound laserwands that "ting" audibly when tapped. A matched pair of singing wands will sound when tapped gently together, or rolled in the hand together. Pretty neat!

Crystals come "tuned." Just pick the one(s) that attract you, and you automatically use the correct frequency for whatever it is you are up to.

Mellaenn

Thanks for sharing the story about Tucson and all the wonderful pix. What a treat that must have been!

I really love the rutliated quartz; it's just amazing! I'm getting a healing vibe off that one, so whatever you do with it, it feels to me like it will help create healing patterns for any energy that it is near to it. And those garnets! :heart: I love garnets (I'm a January girl.) You'll make them into earrings, I suppose?

I'm going to keep this in mind. We are overdue for a trip out west and may need to think about doing this in the future.

Autumn Spice

Vashii, your pictures are amazing! Now I wish I had gone. It's a bit of a drive and decided not to go. Dang!

How are the prices at the mineral show in comparison to going to a store and buying a stone from the cute little dishes?

I think I am going to start talking my sister or husband into going with me next year.

stonesatiety

If you look around, many dealers sell their wares at wholesale to everybody during the show. If you obtain a wholesale license you gain access to large parts of the show not open to retail customers. I highly recommend spending a few days at the show to any stone lovers who are able!

You coming next year, Vashii? :)

Vashii, your pictures are amazing! Now I wish I had gone. It's a bit of a drive and decided not to go. Dang!

How are the prices at the mineral show in comparison to going to a store and buying a stone from the cute little dishes?

I think I am going to start talking my sister or husband into going with me next year.

Autumn Spice

Thanks. I really need to go next year. I was in a store just a few days ago and some ladies were telling me more about it.

I feel like I should start saving now. ;)