Druidcraft Study Group - Prince of Swords

Shade

Sulis, the style fo shield looks correct from what I've seen before as far as celtic armoury... however.... I think the shields I've seen that size are used by foot soldiers not cavalry. Too that, when were horses introduced to the British Isles?

Oh and here's a nice statue of the Morrigan with a similar shield design.

http://www.dryaddesign.com/catalog/morrigan.htm

Sulis

I found a site with the 2 helmets, Here it is.

I've seen shields like his on TV before too.

Mooncat I like your head butting analogy - that's a good one to remember.

Shade I don't think horses were introduced into the British Isles, I think there have always been ponies in the new forest and in many other places; the Isles of Shetland spring to mind. I think that's why the horses depicted in this deck are so small - British ponies are small.

I think it was probably unusual to use ponies in battle - that probably did come later which is maybe why he's holding a foot soldiers' shield.

Love

Sulis xx

WolfSpirit

Thanks for that link, Sulis.
I had never seen horse armour like that before. It looks worrying to me - looks more like decoration than useful in battle. I don't think the horse is conscious about the "horns" and won't use it as a weapon, it will only cause the horse to get injured more easily because it will get in collision with someone else on the battlefield.
I think they were more used in ceremonies and triumphal marches than actual warfare.
Maybe that is typical of the prince of swords - trying to make an impression, a stunning entrance, rather than actually go for a long battle.

TygrEyes

WolfSpirit said:
Thanks for that link, Sulis.
I had never seen horse armour like that before. It looks worrying to me - looks more like decoration than useful in battle. I don't think the horse is conscious about the "horns" and won't use it as a weapon, it will only cause the horse to get injured more easily because it will get in collision with someone else on the battlefield.
I think they were more used in ceremonies and triumphal marches than actual warfare.
Maybe that is typical of the prince of swords - trying to make an impression, a stunning entrance, rather than actually go for a long battle.

Could it be a mock battle for entertainment, like an earlier form of jousting? Maybe they carry & hold the sword in postion w/out actually using it. It could be a showing off of skill & finesse. If the horse's "faceplate" was used in battle it could be to deflect since the "horns" are curled backwards & not forwards to puncture. Also, curling horns signify wisdom since they grow & don't start to curl until the animal has some years behind it - life experience. Since the "horns" are a part of the horse's gear I think it helps to symbolize the Prince has some years of experience behind him that he "rides" or relies on. Thanks for the links, Sulis & Shade. I thought it was just a creation of the artist. You can tell a lot of thought went into the deck, but it's even more than I realized.

jota23

In another deck of mine, the prince of swords is the type of person who is very charismatic (yet vain) and is the first person to jump into a fight as well as the first to jump out when a more interesting quest comes to his attention. The mass amounts of decorative armour could be a way to show others how ready and curageous he looks to boost his troops morale while hiding his own fears. Charging into battle with his sword ready really shows his passion and determination for this fight, but I wonder where his passion will be placed when the battle is over.

magpie9

I believe the Roman officers brought horses to the British isles, and they interbred with the native ponies. Also, the Celts were very big on display, so wearing elaborate armor and clothing and lots of jewelry was something any proud warrior would do. In Ireland, the Brehon laws specified how may colors each class of people could wear. If you read the old stories, in thier description of the charactors they will go into how many colors they wore, and what jewelry of gold, and all the details of it, just like a modern society reporter would do.

Majecot

Prince of Sword reflections

Sorry I have been lax for so long...life was happening again...

As I sit with this card I have my first impression is that of a fierce warrior. Sword drawn battle armor, shield braced for a fight. But then I think, this is just for show. He is full of confidence and shows no fear, but does he have the stamina to follow through with the task.
His bravery cannot be faulted as he plunges head long into the thick with sword drawn, but he is also smart enough to know that he has the mental advantage over a lesser man, who’s primitive fears would send him running at such a site coming towards him. He has a steeliness in his eyes that says he means business.

Part of the battle is largely intellect. One must sink fear in the hearts of his enemy, hence the frightening battle garb.
His immaturity shows in that he does not yet realize that there are other, more peaceful ways of dealing with conflict. But I think he can out wit the best of them.
I love the detail in the battle armor, it shows that the artist did take some time in researching the ceremonial battle garb. The blues in his clothing are wonderful.

Those are great links..Sulis and Shade do good research too :)

Little Baron

I like this guy ... as I do, all of the Princes. He does make you sit back when you see him, which I am sure is his intent. He reminds me of people I overhear occasionally - in the pub, on the train (talking on their mobile phones, hoping that everyone can here how witty they are, what a great job they have, how important etc etc). It's a real 'look and listen to me' card. He feels like the kind of people that belittle others that cannot express themselves so well, but on the flip side, does not take well to critism directed towards him - hense the amount of armour. The armour is like a barrier that doesn't let others in so readily - unlike the Prince of Cups, who is open to others and extends his cup towards them. He is probably a little rash and acts on ideas very quickly without thinking them through, like his father has learnt to. His thoughts are like his horse, rushing forward without considering a clear route or method of attack. He does look confident and skilled but maybe, without a full plan.

LB

magpie9

LittleBuddha said:
-snip-It's a real 'look and listen to me' card. He feels like the kind of people that belittle others that cannot express themselves so well, but on the flip side, does not take well to critism directed towards him - hense the amount of armour. The armour is like a barrier that doesn't let others in so readily - snip- He is probably a little rash and acts on ideas very quickly without thinking them through, like his father has learnt to. His thoughts are like his horse, rushing forward without considering a clear route or method of attack. He does look confident and skilled but maybe, without a full plan.

LB
Hmmmm--sounds like a certain World Leader we are all coping with here in America. }) :D

*bad magpie creeps off into the woodwork before anyone can scold her*

Little Baron

Aha, Magpie ... interesting observation ... just read over what I had written with new eyes ... thanks for that.

LB