Iris of the Rainbows

greenbeans

Hmm, glad you see the match Jewel, I thought maybe it was just me- but all the rainbow colours and the fresh feeling match the image so well in my mind.

Like much of Hardy's poetry, the initially happy mood gives way to his grief about his wife who died, who he felt guilty for having been estranged from:

—Still in all its chasmal beauty bulks old Beeny to the sky,
And shall she and I not go there once again now March is nigh,
And the sweet things said in that March say anew there by and by?

Nay. Though still in chasmal beauty looms that wild weird western shore,
The woman now is—elsewhere—whom the ambling pony bore,
And nor knows nor cares for Beeny, and will see it nevermore.

I wasn't sure about the reverse meaning for Iris- I checked the book and Jessica writes that its all about overcoming obstacles 'storms' and reminds us that 'no storm lasts forever'- which is what i'd advise Hardy if he were with us now, that his grief and guilt are important but will fade with time, whilst the happy memories will last forever.

Jewel

Very nice. I think the whole poem goes nicely with Iris. You have to be in the storm and come out the other side to know that "and this too shall pass." I also see Iris as never forgetting, which he does not. Perhaps he was hung up on the melancholy, which I can see as fitting in a reversed way, not being able to see the rainbow, but simply focus on one "bubble" at a time, and perhaps not looking at other bubbles at all.

Thanks again for sharing.

Alissa

Jewel said:
Perhaps he was hung up on the melancholy, which I can see as fitting in a reversed way, not being able to see the rainbow, but simply focus on one "bubble" at a time, and perhaps not looking at other bubbles at all.
This reminds me strongly of the Five of Cups..... What a neat correlation! Iris has seemed bafflingly to me of late, it's really synchronicity to find your remark on the card, Jewel.

Jewel

Alissa said:
This reminds me strongly of the Five of Cups..... What a neat correlation! Iris has seemed bafflingly to me of late, it's really synchronicity to find your remark on the card, Jewel.
Glad it helped. If you look at the card there are several (4 I believe) "bubbles" or "glass orbs" or whatever you want to call them. It is easy to miss them, particularly the two at the bottom of the card. That is where I got that from.

geministar

Well its been such a long while since Ive used the faeries for a daily draw and last night, I was going to draw one single card from another deck, I just felt this strong calling from my faeries so I went with it to see what they had to tell me.

I drew Iris of the Rainbows of course! Wow this is such a beautiful card and it is so busy with so much going on, lots of little faeries and frogs and bubbles, there was so much to look at. I was drawn mainly to Iris and the little faery above her hand (on the right side of the card).

I believe this card to be so much about hope and keeping your spirits up.

When I think of rainbows I always think of that pot of gold thats at the end of the rainbow.

I didnt relate this card to the current weather here at all but interestingly enough, it could rain here later today/tonight. I wonder if it will.

It has been interesting reading the rest of this thread too. Thanks :)

Jewel

Hey Gem, Iris of the Rainbow was my companion for the day yesterday too! Hey did it rain afterwall over there on the other side of the world?

I wonder what the little faerie dipping his arrown in the rainbow is up to? what is he going to do with that arrow? Is he going to give it to the archer faerie at the bottom of the card? who is she shooting with the rainbow tipped arrows? and looking at your interpretation of hope, perhaps she shooting people with arrows that will give them hope, just like cupid shoots arrows to make people fall in love. Interesting thought that one ...

geministar

No it didnt end up raining here Jewel, its very hot and I wish it would storm :) Hey I thought the same thing too about the bow and arrow and the fae shooting people with hope. I noticed the rainbow tipped arrows too. I didnt like that great big frog peering out though. Funny how we both had the same card on the same day :)

Dwaas

Is that Losgunna? Left down?

Fiacha

dobro said:
Came across this in 'Conscious Femininity' by Marion Woodman:

"In the Tarot pack...Wisdom is always pictured with a rainbow and irises. The rainbow is a symbol of the connection between heaven and earth. Iris, who in mythology is also a wisdom figure, goddess of the rainbow, is the bridge."

So, Iris is both the hope that the gap can be bridged and the wisdom that knows how to do that.

Thank you very much! You've just finally provided me with the information, why Iris keeps showing up in every reading, since my father died.
I kept wondering all the time, because at the moment, I cannot see the good in the situation or beauty in the rain.
The beauty of the rainbow being a bridge- that's quite another thing!

qwaychou

I see a lot of bubbles, crystal balls. The ones already mentioned, but I see a smaller frggy fae with a tiny blue bauble closer to Iris. There is a small fae underneath Iris with another one.

Dreams, wishes. I see many staffs, I like the ones holding up the old fae's moustache, looking like a kitty's face, it goes especially well with the two loose kitty eyes above him.
I see a green man and archers. Iris looks to me like a no nonsense mom. She has winged feet