Feelings about printing out of print decks?

gregory

There's a LOAD here, intended for collage artists - but even so, they use less than most people do, so it's pretty pertinent.

http://www.ovenall.com/copyright/index.html

And it is usually the US where things get really hairy - and

https://www.copyright.gov/

I KNOW creators of OOP decks frequently go after Russian pirates in particular. And I still think it's tacky as a general rule - though I do take the point about enlarging print.

It's a minefield.

SunChariot

I'm just curious if anyone has any feelings about printing out of print decks?

Like, grabbing some screen shots off the internet and printing them on card stock for your own personal use.

Is that a thing that anyone does?

I'm curious to get a topic started on this, I just thought of it today,
and I was wondering if it was a thing that was never done or super common.

I have a feeling that that would be illegal, at the very least without the deck creator's express permission. Something may be OOP for the moment, but the creator may want to reprint at a later date. I know of a few that have been reprinted after being OOP.

IN that sense I suppose it would be the same as copying a deck that is not OOP.

Babs

danieljuk

I suspect in future we will get a chance to buy "virtual" oop deck templates that we can then print on demand at our will or maybe even download a template of a deck that we can then send to a print service. This would be with copyright and we have seen it with books, I think it will spread to decks in future. We would do all the work and buy the rights to print one copy or two or whatever. They might even find a way to mark the template so we can't share it (like our address watermarks that some ebook publishers use). I think decks on demand will become a thing because it saves the cost of decks which never sell and have to be stored in warehouses.

But as things are now, there is two decks that I have thought about getting to print, one the Greenwood and another which was publicly shared as a pdf. I haven't done it yet because I am lazy and not got around to it!

I don't think I could print a deck that I didn't have the copyright for, it just seems unfair.

grabbing decks off the net is really not what the artist / publisher intended with their rights, doing that will start to make images of decks disappear offline and people using them on social networking and blogs will start getting told to pull images off them :(