Vintage vs New Versions-

cynthea

My very first deck was my husbands old Rider deck, that I had no idea is a rare beautiful blushing fool edition! I since have discovered many other editions of the Rider deck, I want to say original, but now there is a newer "original rider" version lol. Anyway, there is a huge difference in the ones printed with New York Addresses for US games and the others, even though some still printed in Switzerland. I am looking at Thoth decks and from what I gather the vintage may not be better versions than the newer versions. I am wondering your opinions on various decks, and how much difference a vintage version makes? I just finished an auction for a Morgan Greer with a black border. Information here suggests it is a second edition, the only one printed with a black border. I actually like the look of this deck, although borderless are usually preferred. Mainly, I am wondering what decks differ in card stock quality, non-laminated vs laminated, and any other issues affecting quality and your opinions. I am now familiar with how to date US Games Decks, but not so much other companies. Do Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo decks differ as much as the early Rider Deck compared to the new versions? Thanks , hoping for a lively discussion :)

nisaba

I am wondering your opinions on various decks, and how much difference a vintage version makes?

For me, vintage decks are only about bragging-rights, and as I get older I'm less inclined to skite about "valuable stuff".

To mer, a deck-is-a-deck-is-a-deck. If the original is getting old through the centuries, every copy will fade and crumble. Reproductions keep it fresh and in circulation, which is great. I'm entirely okay with *legal* reproductions.

G6

IMHO

It's more about whether or not it's in print. If it is in print then it's a question of whether the cardstock, print quality, design on an older version is more to my liking.

cynthea

Rider Vintage decks 1000 times better

Maybe if you saw a vintage Rider deck without the lamination, no copyright, blushing fool you would understand how cosmic it is. It has nothing to do with the value or fact that it is vintage! The colors seem softer and the feel of the cards is amazing to me. They also have the hand written fonts versus the computerized font and the image print is better. It is a total different experience. When I received my newest version which is still an older Switzerland edition, but it has computerized font, laminated and very coarse images, I finally understand why so many say they do not connect with the Rider deck. It is a horrible edition, I do not know if the newest ones are better. I do not have a new version. I do have a Universal Waite which I quite like though.

This is why I am wondering if other decks have similar differences between original or older decks and their newer laminated cousins. Are there similar differences in other decks?

nisaba

Maybe if you saw a vintage Rider deck without the lamination, no copyright, blushing fool you would understand how cosmic it is. It has nothing to do with the value or fact that it is vintage! The colors seem softer and the feel of the cards is amazing to me.

That may have something to do with generations of hands handling them, which will happen with our brand-new copies, too. :)

cynthea

Cards were not used, cardstock is different

These cards were packed away and not used. The difference is the cardstock. I am sure you have seen the difference in cardstock of even new decks. Different companies and printers use different cardstock, especially independent decks compared to some mass produced decks. The US Games card stock has changed over the years and the printing changed and moved from Switzerland to Italy. There has been many changes over the years, that has nothing to do with the cards being handled and used, and in this case not used. The pre-copyright deck my husband bought eons ago were not used and are like new.