Giving readings at a a fair

TarotGirlJess

Ok all when i first signed on monthes ago I said that i had a town fair where I would be reading. It ended last night. this may be long but there is a question. LOL
First I am in a VERY small town. I was aware that people would be a little unsure. I was not expecting what happened. First, all day all other boothes were full. except mine.. mine had a wide 10 foot empty hole around it where people wouldn't even walk BY. I had other things non tarot related as well, but as soon as people saw the tarot their focus changed they Usually reacted one of several ways
1_ smile freezes in place as they speed up to get away
2- looked shocked, turn and walk other direction
3- speed walk by while looking down grumbling to themselves
4- verynice, understanding and talkitive, loved to learn about it ( very few but still worth it)
5- pull curious children away saying "you are not going in there!"
I stayed for 12 hours and only reading, and sold 1 other trinket hubby and i were deciding to pack it in.. we had given it a shot it seems the town wasn't ready then something happened.. it started to get dark and all of a sudden EVERYONE hit at once, i don't know if it was the darkness or the drinking but people were finally interested and willing. We ended up staying another 3 1/2 hours during which time i did alot of readings. In that three hours we were able to recoup all that we had paid out.

now my questions are:

1) what were your experiences doing readings at fairs and similar places
2) were people more adventurous at night?

Thank you in advance for sharing with me
Tarotgirl Jess

Grizabella

I've thought of having a booth here but was afraid that very thing would happen that happened to you. But the little Saturday market here doesn't go till dark, so I'd never get the chance to see if the night crowd was any different. Thanks for sharing this. And I can tell you didn't lose your sense of humor about it in the way you wrote about it-------good for you! Some places just aren't ready for tarot, are they?

Vadella

Your post was very funny. Please don't take offense. :) I haven't read for anyone out in public yet... but I have seen expressions from others [when looking at tarot readers]. You nailed it. haha I think people feel more protected at night for some reason. Maybe they feel that their neighbor or someone else who knows them won't see them at your booth. Could have been the alcohol opening their minds up also [like you suggested]. I think that if you keep doing it, your town will get used to it and hey, maybe you'll start getting the respect that you rightfully deserve. :) Best of luck to you!

TarotGirlJess

Nope, some towns just aren't ready. i did realize that when people come with an open mind the readings are much more involved and specific.
i don't know yet wether it's good or bad but i had bought 10 decks to sell at the booth. the only one that sold was the Faery Oracle ( froud) I ended up selling it for cheaper than I had planned but those faery's sure let you know when it's time to go, i found myself adding goodies as well. so now it seems i have 9 decks for trade. LOL
Jess

Eco74

Having grown up in a small town I can certainly relate to the response you got.
It's as if things out of the ordinary just can not be done in daylight, unless by those already established and accepted as "different" or by those moving in a "crowd of giggles" seemingly playing truth or dare.
At night though, things are different because one can sneak in, make a quick by-line and the next day say to the general aquaintances that "someone must have confused me with someone else wearing a similar jacket" and to the friends who share the allure in secret "I went in and had a reading and..".

In smaller places, things are done in unison.
If something is not entierly accepted as mainstream, it's done in the dark by those who share a curiosity for it. Or by those few who have the guts to go at it on their own inspite of what people might say.

Zephyros

Perhaps it was the Moon that did it, making the hidden fears and desires of people come out...

Or maybe it was because in the daytime, people came with their families, who are more resreved and traditional, and at night young people who are usually more open minded came to the fair.

Happy it was a success after all!

Alta

Now that is an interesting experience, and while I had never thought of that effect I found myself saying 'of course!'. I mean, how many folks do things after dark they would not do in broad daylight? Tarot seems slightly illicit to many, and maybe the darkness adds that measure of comfort to explore. Difficult though, because I suspect not many fairs do go until after dark. There may be a technique here!

wizzle

great story

Dear TGJ,

That's a great story. Please keep us updated on any followup business that comes your way from your townsfolk. I really wouldn't be surprised if you planted some seeds and opened some minds to possibilities.

Thanks so much for sharing your day with us.

Mother Goose

I imagine the people in my small southern US town would react the exact same way. lol The way you described it I could just picture it in our town square!! hehehe

My hubby is an artisan blacksmith who takes his stuff to a monthly flea market/tradeshow....it's HUGE....and I go nearly every month to visit him while he's working. And out of all the times I've gone (over the past 4 years)....I've only ever seen one tarot reader ONCE. People did seem to either hurry past her booth or concentrate really hard on the booths on the opposite side of the path. I did see her doing one reading...for this frail looking older lady. I guess she'd gotten to the age where she didn't care what others thought of her sitting there asking for a reading. :)

I certainly wish you the best of luck if you decide to do that again. :D

tao51

When I have read in public people react with fascination because they came because they were curious about the various arts at the fair. Now, colleagues at school just react by saying "OK"--but they know I am this crazy person anyway!--LOL --Tao