Justice

maraeva

In russian LJ community we're disputing about symbolism of this card.
How do you think that's the meaning of the gold jewellery on Fey's neck and hands?

I've no idea about this but my russian colleagues suppose that is some celtics traditional jewellery. Is it?

BTW, I want to introduce you my own reading of this card:

... Look closely at the feather in hands of the Fey - it's a symbol of true, Ma'at's feather. Ancient Egyptians trusted, that after death they was appeared before a judgement of gods. Gods was put their hearts on the one scale of weighs and the Ma'at's feather on another. And if the heart was outweighted the feahter it was ated.

Now we'll turned to the eyes of our Fey - and will see that them three, pair normal (well, almost) and one more on a forehead.
Let's begin with the first (normal ) pair - we can see that our Fey is blind (like Themis) and her eyes are lighting in the twilight. I suppose that its not human blindness but some magic or etc. Such eyes capacitate her to understand (or see) something superrational and liken to the Themis.
Another (the third) eye on her fore-gead looks like that it’s drawned in pencil and it’s the symbol too. The wisdom, spiritual development and the Wadjet Eye – left Horus eye that symbolised the power of light, clairvoyance, perfection and etc.

Our Fey have a angelic wings - a symbol of freedom, cleanliness and a victory. And btw, if we’ll still using the egyptian symbolism it will be some wings of goddesses. For example the Isis wings. Having the wing she was the goddess of wind, magic, sacred laws and knowledge.

And last symbol of this card can be named the absence of people and presence of windows through which Fey can perfectly hear and see everything, and fly away if she want.

And if we’d want to read all these symbols and meanings as one it will sound like: clairvoyance, validity, innocence, freedom in judgements, truthfulness and finding out the truth.

P.S. I know my English is extremely awful but I hope you will understand the most part of my article.

caridwen

How do you think that's the meaning of the gold jewellery on Fey's neck and hands?

I think the jewellery may have had Celtic origins but it's unique to the Fey. I think it symbolises the sacred nature of Justice, much like the Oracle of Delphi.

maraeva

I think the jewellery may have had Celtic origins but it's unique to the Fey. I think it symbolises the sacred nature of Justice, much like the Oracle of Delphi.

You mean, it's the sacred (ritual, traditional m.b.) jewellery and nothing more?

caridwen

maraeva said:
You mean, it's the sacred (ritual, traditional m.b.) jewellery and nothing more?

I'm not entirely what you mean by 'nothing more' here. The Fey is wearing very heavy, gold jewellery that would be worth an awful amount of money. I think the fact that Justice wears thiis Jewellery emphasises their sacredness. As far as I am aware, this is the only Fey with such heavy adornment. Many cultures and tribes adorn what they most revere most expensively.

The Oracle of Delphi and other mythological seers also had their own place much like this Fey to symbolise their sacred nature, sensitivity, uniqueness and also for protection.

maraeva

caridwen said:
I think the fact that Justice wears thiis Jewellery emphasises their sacredness. As far as I am aware, this is the only Fey with such heavy adornment. Many cultures and tribes adorn what they most revere most expensively.

I understood your meaning but I can't see the connection between these facts - seers wasn't the judges and they wasn't they myphological creatures at all. So, the heavely and ornamented jewellery CAN be the seer's (or shaman, or priest and etc) accessories but weren't necessarily for wearing/using. BTW the original Fey Tarot's Seer don't wearing jewellery but Fey from XIV arcane wearing similar earrings.

amaretta

Just an idea :)

When I look at this picture of Justice her jewellery really catches my eye.
Look. It's gold and heavy. Feather is light and weightless. Gold stands for wealth and power in the material world of mortals. Feather, I agree, reminds of Maat's measure for soul. And even in European cultures feather often symbolises human's fragility, flying with the wind for the God's (or gods') will. (BTW, do you remember last scenes of 'Forrest Gump' with the feather dancing in the wind?)
Fey wears gold but her third eye's sight is concentrated on the feather.
One of the most traditional keywords for Justice is 'balance'. What if the feather and gold on this card simply signify such a balance between material-heavy-mortal values by one side and spirit-soul-innocense by the other? Gold is heavier than soul but not for the real Justice.

caridwen

maraeva said:
I understood your meaning but I can't see the connection between these facts - seers wasn't the judges and they wasn't they myphological creatures at all. So, the heavely and ornamented jewellery CAN be the seer's (or shaman, or priest and etc) accessories but weren't necessarily for wearing/using. BTW the original Fey Tarot's Seer don't wearing jewellery but Fey from XIV arcane wearing similar earrings.

There is a misunderstanding here. I am not saying that Justice is a seer, I am making a comparison with the way various sacred figures are adorned and housed in a similar way.

However, what do you make of Justice's third eye and blindness?

maraeva

amaretta said:
Gold is heavier than soul but not for the real Justice.

Wow! It's very similar to the truth, really! Your reading is great! I've no correction.

maraeva

caridwen said:
However, what do you make of Justice's third eye and blindness?

I wrote all my ideas in the article. I think that she's not blind as like as human can be. Her eyes are lighting in the dark and lighting through the dark. It mean as I think that she can see through the haze of lie and deception. On her fore-head we can see, I think, Eye of Omniscience - very ancient symbol (and not only the egyptian origin).

BTW, I thought about her eyes today and look at the other Feys very closely. I saw that many Feys're alike in the eyes. Is it specie, may be?

elvenstar

More ideas about the jewellery:

I wondered too when I saw them, because they are so prominent. In the same vein as caridwen, to me they look almost like shackles. Ritualistic ones, yes, but a symbol of responsibility, one of choice perhaps, but responsibility nevertheless.

Also, they may be beautiful or valuable, but you have to pay the price of their weight and awkwardness.

They add a certain 'weight' and seriousness to her image, which could otherwise be a bit too light and fluffy for the thing she represents. They say: I may look young and cuddly, but my role is very serious. I know it and neither should you forget it!

Just my two p, I'm very new to the Fey and these are my first impressions...