The meaning of the signs on The High Priestess

fordblackorchid

Hi,
I wonder if anyone knows the meaning of the letters 'J' and 'B',
which appear on the High Priestess card.
It was the outcome card in the reading I did for myself yesterday and I wonder if the hidden meaning of the letters would tell me something more.

Rosanne

Hi FordBlackOrchid, the two pillars on the RiderWaite Smith are the pillars at the entrance to the Hall of Truth in the afterlife of Ancient Egyptian belief. They are also the names of the pillars of Solomons Temple Jachin and Boaz (Masonic). They are also symbolic of of the balance of opposites- male and female, good and evil, as an example. ~Rosanne

Fulgour

Black & White OR Black on White (and vice versa)

Is the letter B (white) on the black pillar for black or white..?
Same too the letter J (black) on the white pillar...which is it?

The_Star

Pillars

fordblackorchid said:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone knows the meaning of the letters 'J' and 'B',
which appear on the High Priestess card.
It was the outcome card in the reading I did for myself yesterday and I wonder if the hidden meaning of the letters would tell me something more.

The two pillars (J and B) represent the pairs of opposites.

With the High Priestess (a hunch) as your outcome card... it could very well mean that the nature of your inquiry (the issue) has its roots in your sub-conscious. The solution (perhaps) is to replace a belief or other thought pattern with something more 'user friendly'.
In essence, patterns of thought have a tendency to reproduce themselves unless changed via The Magician Card.

Fulgour

Soon, soon...

The_Star said:
The solution (perhaps) is to replace a belief or other thought pattern with something more 'user friendly'. In essence, patterns of thought have a tendency to reproduce themselves unless changed via The Magician Card.
I am looking forward to when you post a thread here,
outlining your very interesting views on The Magician
as the (what really for sure I don't know) master-guy.

I'm picking up a lot of computer references. Very cool!

The_Star

Magician....

Fulgour said:
I am looking forward to when you post a thread here,
outlining your very interesting views on The Magician
as the (what really for sure I don't know) master-guy.

I'm picking up a lot of computer references. Very cool!

Fulgour!

I shall consider your excellent suggesion! In the mean-time you may "know" one Magician, if you have a mirror handy! :)
So, my friend! ... the Socratic question is.... "What happens to The Magician who denies (to him/her self) being The Magician"? :)
One answer is... The magical power of The Magician creates the illusion that he or she is not The Magician!

Conclusion (possibly) the first step is to reclaim the power!

rachelcat

Take it from the source

I Kings 7:15-22 (New International Version)

15 He [King Solomon] cast two bronze pillars, each eighteen cubits high and twelve cubits around, by line. 16 He also made two capitals of cast bronze to set on the tops of the pillars; each capital was five cubits high. 17 A network of interwoven chains festooned the capitals on top of the pillars, seven for each capital. 18 He made pomegranates in two rows encircling each network to decorate the capitals on top of the pillars. He did the same for each capital. 19 The capitals on top of the pillars in the portico were in the shape of lilies, four cubits high. 20 On the capitals of both pillars, above the bowl-shaped part next to the network, were the two hundred pomegranates in rows all around. 21 He erected the pillars at the portico of the temple. The pillar to the south he named Jakin and the one to the north Boaz. 22 The capitals on top were in the shape of lilies. And so the work on the pillars was completed.

Footnotes:
Jakin probably means he establishes.
Boaz probably means in him is strength.

www.biblegateway.com is a great resource!

The_Star

North and South

rachelcat said:
I Kings 7:15-22 (New International Version)

The pillar to the south he named Jakin and the one to the north The capitals on top were in the shape of lilies. And so the work on the pillars was completed.

Footnotes:

www.biblegateway.com is a great resource!

North and South imply 'opposites'. Suggesting that all of material 'reality' is an interplay of opposing forces (e.g. - gravity [down] and structure [up] ). North and South also suggest Heaven and Earth, above and below.

Fen Windglimmer

The_Star said:
North and South imply 'opposites'. Suggesting that all of material 'reality' is an interplay of opposing forces (e.g. - gravity [down] and structure [up] ). North and South also suggest Heaven and Earth, above and below.

Thanks for that, but it does lead to some other questions.

How exactly does this information, and the J and B, tie in with the symbolic meaning of the High Priestess. That is, are these opposites any different from those shown in many other cards?

What is the difference between these pillars, and the pillars on the
Death card, or the Moon?

Love and light to all

Fen

Umbrae

rachelcat said:
I Kings 7:21-22 (New International Version)

21 He erected the pillars at the portico of the temple. The pillar to the south he named Jakin and the one to the north Boaz. 22 The capitals on top were in the shape of lilies. And so the work on the pillars was completed.

Footnotes:
Thank you rachelcat for quoting the source material for Boaz and Jakin.

Here I want to take it one step further. If we go a step futher and keep reading – outside they built a 'sea' of bronze (yada yada yada)…so see the water behind the High Priestess? And if you set Jakin to the south and Boaz to the north…taking the view of looking at the High Priestess means you are looking in what direction?

Which further means…She ain't guarding the temple.

The point of view of the High Priestess card places you IN THE TEMPLE!!!

She guards the EGRESS!!!

Which is why, any time I find a new book on Tarot, I turn to the High Priestess. Anybody who says "…blah blah blah guardian of the temple…" is a hack.

And – once you find the source material – and ponder it – it changes the meaning ever so slightly does it not?

:smoker: