Comte de Mellet spread - the oldest ever recorded for divination with the Tarot cards

3ill.yazi

So I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any patterns when it comes to interpreting this spread. I read the pairs together of course, and basically it seems to go in a chronological line, with the majors possibly being the forces at work and the minors being the events. I'm wondering if anyone sees anything like the center pair being the present, and the others being various degrees of past or future, or does it fall all over the place, with more being about future/past, etc. I feel like people are making tarot history by bringing back this spread.

Grizabella

This is interesting and I'd try it except I can't even read through how to do it without totally losing the plot. I'm glad it was posted, though. What a treasure to have found the very first Tarot spread.

Lady Lenore

I absolutely love this spread! I just tried it out with some very, let's say, startling results. It was certainly informative, and far more insightful than I had expected. It certainly brought some harsh truths to the table and exposed some underlying issues I was aware of, but neglecting. I am saving this for future use and will definitely be incorporating it into my practice!

nisaba

I've grown very fond of this spread. I use it for nearly all my TdM exchanges and occasionally for people: rarely for clients, because it's kinda hard to explain why it's so special, and why you don't know until you are ready to go, whether I'll be reading two cards or sixteen <grin>.

It has a charm of its very own that is completely separate from its age and authenticity, although they certainly cast a glamour over it! (I'm using the world glamour in the technical sense here, not the popular sense).

I don't do the two-of-us-pulling thing. I pull the majors with my left hand and the minors with my right simultaneously, counting aloud after they have shuffled both portions of the deck. If I get one pair, I use it as a focus for contemplation. If I get three or more I treat it differently, and give the different pairs positional meanings: the first pair introduces the situation that is going to be read about, the last pair is the likely conclusion, and the pair or pairs in between are the progression (course of events or the work the querent must do) to get from one to the other.

Seems to work really well.

Starri Knytes

This is interesting and I'd try it except I can't even read through how to do it without totally losing the plot. I'm glad it was posted, though. What a treasure to have found the very first Tarot spread.
[emoji23]

It's much easier to do than read.
Do you remember, trying to patting your head while rubbing your tummy as a child? It's kinda like that. ;)

Starri Knytes

I love this spread. Reading pairs usually aren't my thing, but in this instance they work well.

I wouldn't recommend beginning it at 2:22am though. 7 pair later
I was finally climb into bed at 3:33am. :bugeyed: It was a great night for reading!

AlNablus

An interesting spread. Will try it tonight and see how it works