Gay Tarot - The Fool/10 of Wands

Flavio

Lee said:
I don't mean to reduce the meaning of the card (or of the deck) to the trivial. But sometimes the trivial can contain mysteries of its own...

-- Lee
In preparation to join the study group I've been reading the current posts, and realized something like Lee said, now all the post about the cards seem to me very formal and serious, I think that's a good sign as we are just starting to know this deck, hopefully with the time we'll take a trivial look on the cards and discover their light and fun side.

Fulgour

My thoughts often come back to this thread, and now again
I find myself visiting, but still wish there were scans posted.

tarotbear

The dark side of the Fool card...

Lee said:
I should also note that the Fool in the Gay Tarot can have a darker interpretation -- this Fool may be doing something a bit dangerous by hoping to be picked up by a trucker. There could be a sexual undertone here...

-- Lee

When I compare these two cards I see several things. Firstly, in the RWS the Fool is usually pictured about to step off a cliff because he is not paying attention. The 18-wheeler - in ominous black can be read two different ways - one, the trucker is off on a long journey and the young hitchiker will be off on one with him, unaware of the future. The dark side speaks volumes, especially for those who do not 'see' young men in prostitution. Sexual predators come in many shapes and sizes and young, naive youth are the prey. This adventure could be heaven; it could be hell. One of the LWB's definitions is 'going beyond the limits of social conventions', and becoming the 'boy toy' for an older man is a sexual cliche that won't die. However, as I said - that is the dark side.

In the Ten Wands, our carefree traveler has found out a few things he didn't understand before. The LWB says "Obligations. Realizing that burdens are a part of life." Running away may seem like a great or fun thing to do when you are young and think the world belongs to you. Instead of being saddled by the burdens of ten wands on his back, the young man is burdened by the idea that running away from your troubles is not the answer - similar to Dorthy's realization at the end of 'The Wizard of Oz.' He leashes his puppy, and walks into the sunset - the direction of knowledge and seeks that which he lost, knowing that innocence is lost forever. Thus the new cycle continues, and that is the essence of a ten- ending and beginning in a continous form.