When to Reshuffle?

elle_muse

Hello Lennie lovers,

I just started dabbling with the GT, and last night did the 9x4 for next month. My significator card (WOMAN) is in the very last column (9) and at the very top. So, right corner. Meaning, she's in the future section.

I've read all sorts of things. That if the significator card is more to the right, it means they're influenced by the past and you won't get a future reading. Which defeats the purpose if you're doing a monthly and want to know what's going to occur that month.

I've read that if this is the case, some reshuffle. Others will wait another few weeks for another reading.

I've also read that it depends on where the significator is facing. Traditionally, the woman faces the right, so it makes sense that's she's looking at her future. Mine is facing the left, so if that's taken into consideration, even though she's all the way on the right, she still looking at her future. Some people don't even practice where they face though.

Because she's at the top, I know she's (I'm) in control of her future and outcome. The thought of me living in the past doesn't sit right with me because although I'm still healing from recent events, I'm really moving forward in my life and things are flourishing.

So, my question is: do I reshuffle, or do I simply see the bottom rows as the future? I'm someone who doesn't really take out more cards, or ask the same question over and over because it's useless, but in this case, I'm stumped!

When do you feel the need to reshuffle? What would you do in this case?

Your thoughts and tips are much appreciated!

Kurenai

Hello Lennie lovers,

I just started dabbling with the GT, and last night did the 9x4 for next month. My significator card (WOMAN) is in the very last column (9) and at the very top. So, right corner. Meaning, she's in the future section.

I've read all sorts of things. That if the significator card is more to the right, it means they're influenced by the past and you won't get a future reading. Which defeats the purpose if you're doing a monthly and want to know what's going to occur that month.

I've read that if this is the case, some reshuffle. Others will wait another few weeks for another reading.

I've also read that it depends on where the significator is facing. Traditionally, the woman faces the right, so it makes sense that's she's looking at her future. Mine is facing the left, so if that's taken into consideration, even though she's all the way on the right, she still looking at her future. Some people don't even practice where they face though.

Because she's at the top, I know she's (I'm) in control of her future and outcome. The thought of me living in the past doesn't sit right with me because although I'm still healing from recent events, I'm really moving forward in my life and things are flourishing.

So, my question is: do I reshuffle, or do I simply see the bottom rows as the future? I'm someone who doesn't really take out more cards, or ask the same question over and over because it's useless, but in this case, I'm stumped!

When do you feel the need to reshuffle? What would you do in this case?

Your thoughts and tips are much appreciated!

I would reshuffle and see if the woman card comes up somewhere in the left or the middle of the GT. If the woman card shows up again at the last column again, then you should wait a few more weeks before laying out the GT again. That's what Rana George advises in her book.

Barleywine

We've discussed it here before and the best advice seemed to be that, if the significator is all the way to the right (no matter which way it's facing) you're probably not going to get anything in the way of future information, so you should reshuffle. I know that some people don't use a past-present-future model, but even if you just consider the cards surrounding the significator, you're still missing a big chunk of the picture. I've done it both ways: if there's no urgency I will wait a period of time and try again; if there is, I will reshuffle then and there. If it happens again, I abandon the reading for the moment.

In The Essential Lenormand, under Tricky Situations on page 309, Rana George offered another option: she will reshuffle and recast the GT, but she will first do a mini-reading about past issues that might be hanging the client up, using a smaller spread. She will reshuffle the GT up to three times, which is probably two more reshuffles than I would do. I can see using this option if I intend to defer the GT but still want to provide some useful information. Since I usually project 6-12 months out with a GT, I might just do a 9-card square for the upcoming month and schedule another meeting.

1Eleven

I don't reshuffle.

elle_muse

We've discussed it here before and the best advice seemed to be that, if the significator is all the way to the right (no matter which way it's facing) you're probably not going to get anything in the way of future information, so you should reshuffle. I know that some people don't use a past-present-future model, but even if you just consider the cards surrounding the significator, you're still missing a big chunk of the picture. I've done it both ways: if there's no urgency I will wait a period of time and try again; if there is, I will reshuffle then and there. If it happens again, I abandon the reading for the moment.

In The Essential Lenormand, under Tricky Situations on page 309, Rana George offered another option: she will reshuffle and recast the GT, but she will first do a mini-reading about past issues that might be hanging the client up, using a smaller spread. She will reshuffle the GT up to three times, which is probably two more reshuffles than I would do. I can see using this option if I intend to defer the GT but still want to provide some useful information. Since I usually project 6-12 months out with a GT, I might just do a 9-card square for the upcoming month and schedule another meeting.

Yes, I know we've discussed this before; I've actually gone through all the GT Lenormand Helpful Threads and Resources section, including the thread you started. The reason why I asked is because most replies were about what it means to have the significator on either side or how high or low they are. I want to know what people do in my case, and in which situations they'd reshuffle.
Thank you for answering my question. I Wouldn't normally reshuffle, because the cards get cloudy after a while, but in this case, I feel like I should at least one more time. Then take a break if it looks the same.

elle_muse

I actually quite like this. It shows that the reader is genuinely interested in moving forward and seeing what they can do to help themselves and their situation(s), not just wanting to know what will happen.

I shall try this, thank you!

elle_muse

I would reshuffle and see if the woman card comes up somewhere in the left or the middle of the GT. If the woman card shows up again at the last column again, then you should wait a few more weeks before laying out the GT again. That's what Rana George advises in her book.

I swear, I knew you'd say you'd reshuffle! Kurenai and her extra cards, hehe! :heart:

Tag_jorrit

Nope. Don't reshuffle. They have fallen as they have because that's the way they should be.

There are a few different ways to read a GT but the first, original, traditional one is to read it with the method of distance. You can specify a period of time to which the GT applies then you read the cards as what's to happen within that time span. Then you read the cards with regard to their proximity to the signifier and to the various theme cards and the surrounding cards influencing the theme cards.

Barleywine

Nope. Don't reshuffle. They have fallen as they have because that's the way they should be.

There are a few different ways to read a GT but the first, original, traditional one is to read it with the method of distance. You can specify a period of time to which the GT applies then you read the cards as what's to happen within that time span. Then you read the cards with regard to their proximity to the signifier and to the various theme cards and the surrounding cards influencing the theme cards.

Yes, this would be an example of avoiding the past-present-future paradigm that I was talking about. I generally start a reading this way, but it's still tempting to read the horizontal and vertical "lines" as a continuum that plays out over time.

Kurenai

Yes, this would be an example of avoiding the past-present-future paradigm that I was talking about. I generally start a reading this way, but it's still tempting to read the horizontal and vertical "lines" as a continuum that plays out over time.

I am not so sure I understand... So for example, if the woman card is at the very last column, then continue reading the GT as is... Okay....

So the closest cards to the left of the woman card is what's going to happen in the near future while the one furthest is going to happen in the distant future?