Favorite Playing Card Divination Books

Promise

It's Written in the Cards by Leo Louis Martello is the one and only playing card book I have, and I love it to bits. It's got lots of information in it, but it's written with a lot of tongue-in-cheek wit and humor, so it doesn't seem so...overwhelmingly daunting.

It's OOP and can be somewhat tricky to find, but I wouldn't give mine up for the world!

MareSaturni

WolfyJames said:
The book Fortune Teller's Deck by Jane Lyle is quite interesting. The deck that comes with the book is really beautiful on top of that. I like how she talks about the court cards, she doesn't put all the bad rap on the spades/Swords court cards and all the good stuff on the others. They have all good and bad sides.

Unfortunately the set is out-of-print.

http://strangerealms.multiply.com/photos/album/10/Fortune_Tellers_Deck

Wolfy is right, this set is also great! And the cards are beautiful, i still use them, but i prefer Ana Cortez' method. I'm more used to it.

My problem with Lyle's method is that i had to consult the book all the time. Playing cards aren't the most illustrative sort of deck out there, as we know, and the suit + number things only works up to a limit. And her meanings were interesting, just not very intuitive in my opinion, i felt like i needed to memorize them.

But i believe it's an awesome set for starters, and the deck is just beautiful.

I did not know it OOP. Shame :(

Morwenna

I have Nerys Dee's book, but I've never come across the others. Looks like I need to go hunting...

cardlady22

Don't spend an arm & a leg, Morwenna! Try your library's Loan program for whatever they can get a hold of.

dvorah ophir

to marina hi

i read your thread- and you gave some realy great recomendation for me so i wish to thank you- i have many books about playing cards but always returne to the Jane Lyle book-althogh as you said you constantly have to consult it . i like your recomendation for the Ana Cortez book and your site. purticilarly because it has geomancy in it as well which intrests me so i will buy the book for sure. i am not sure about the cards themself and i saw it can be bought(the book ) seperatly. can you advise me about that- book only, or the set.what is your opinion please?
thanks in advance-dvorah
by the way, the best method i know to read playing cards without having to remember much or read from a book was on this site
http://www.hedgewytchery.com
only now the site is gone-does anyone have a new adress?
good for me that i printed it long time ago...

Lela

dvorah ophir said:
i like your recomendation for the Ana Cortez book and your site. purticilarly because it has geomancy in it as well which intrests me so i will buy the book for sure. i am not sure about the cards themself and i saw it can be bought(the book ) seperatly. can you advise me about that- book only, or the set.what is your opinion please?
I have the cards that go with the book, and I really like them. The colors are subdued - pale yellowish creame, blacks and reds - really not too much color. Also the art may be creepy to some, but I find it quite beautiful. If you can get the book and cards for cheap, I say go for it, but truthfully any deck of playing cards will work with that system, especially the geomancy part, if that is your main reason for getting the book.

dvorah ophir said:
by the way, the best method i know to read playing cards without having to remember much or read from a book was on this site
http://www.hedgewytchery.com
only now the site is gone-does anyone have a new adress?
good for me that i printed it long time ago...
You can still see the cartomancy info from the hedgewytchery site here http://web.archive.org/web/20080604095147/www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

HTH :D

MareSaturni

dvorah ophir said:
i read your thread- and you gave some realy great recomendation for me so i wish to thank you- i have many books about playing cards but always returne to the Jane Lyle book-althogh as you said you constantly have to consult it . i like your recomendation for the Ana Cortez book and your site. purticilarly because it has geomancy in it as well which intrests me so i will buy the book for sure. i am not sure about the cards themself and i saw it can be bought(the book ) seperatly. can you advise me about that- book only, or the set.what is your opinion please?
thanks in advance-dvorah

Oh, hi Dvorah! Glad i could be of help :)

The PCO comes in a set of deck + book and it comes separately, so you can buy only the book if you wish. You can use the book with any playing card deck, but i recommend getting the deck too because it's so nice... besides, you can find the complete set for sale just for US$ 12.00 :bugeyed:

http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=965&cat=0&page=1

I have two copies of the book and three of deck, because i love it so much!

dvorah ophir

thanks marina

thanks -i think i will follow your advise and buy the whole set- i wonder how much they charge for posting. at book depository it costs 28 i think and free shipping- i thoght to look at abebooks- they have realy low prices
will keep you informed when i get it to tell you what i thoght of it.
dvorah

OmSeaweed

Does anyone know the why or where the original Hedgewytchery site went? (It was so nice!)

Thank you!

OmSeaweed ॐ

dvorah ophir

OmSeaweed said:
Does anyone know the why or where the original Hedgewytchery site went? (It was so nice!)

Thank you!

OmSeaweed ॐ
if you read a few threads before you see that lela just gave the new adress-thanks again lela