Herbal Medicine Practitioners

RavenOfSummer

I'm starting a year-long herbal medicine apprenticeship in a few weeks and I'm so excited. I was wondering if there are any other herbal medicine practitioners here, either formally or informally? Would be fun to discuss :)

I know I'll be working with the following herbs throughout the year (probably more as well):

1. Nettle Leaf
2. Oatstraw
3. Red Clover Flowers
4. Lemon Balm Leaf
5. Linden Leaf and Flower
6. Peppermint Leaf
7. Elder Flowers
8. Catnip
9. Marshmallow Root
10. Holy Basil “Vana”
11. Burdock Root
12. Dandelion Root
13. Licorice Root
14. Yarrow Leaf and Flower
15. Hawthorn Leaf and Flower

Onaorkal

I am a fervent user of plant material as medicine and I would love to get a herbalism diploma one day but unfortunately it's very expensive!
So I try to read about it and learn by myself.
I've been starting to make medicinal oils and tinctures this year and I'm getting ingredients and material to be able to make more products like lotions, etc.

I would he happy to participate in conversations about medicinal plants in general, with you and anyone who's interested in the subject! :)

RavenOfSummer

I am a fervent user of plant material as medicine and I would love to get a herbalism diploma one day but unfortunately it's very expensive!
I've been starting to make medicinal oils and tinctures this year and I'm getting ingredients and material to be able to make more products like lotions, etc.

I would he happy to participate in conversations about medicinal plants in general, with you and anyone who's interested in the subject! :)

Awesome! It is indeed expensive to do a course. I got lucky in that I got a discount on this one, but it's still expensive even with that. It's really cool you've been learning about these things on your own! Would love to discuss with you as I get into the course :)

I'm looking forward to making salves and tinctures. I'm not sure if we'll cover lotions in the course so maybe that's something I can look into on my own :)

theFeeLion

This sounds so interesting! :)

I'm beauty therapist and have always loved making and using products with herbal matter (don't get me started on the 'natural' word lol). So if you want any help when it come to making lotions etc or mechanics of the skin/body I have 2 years worth of notes and a few books I can trawl through :love:

I also have a pretty simple lotion recipe I can share if you would like too :D

RavenOfSummer

I'm beauty therapist and have always loved making and using products with herbal matter (don't get me started on the 'natural' word lol). So if you want any help when it come to making lotions etc or mechanics of the skin/body I have 2 years worth of notes and a few books I can trawl through :love:

Oh wow, sounds great! :love:

Onaorkal

I'm starting a year-long herbal medicine apprenticeship in a few weeks and I'm so excited. I was wondering if there are any other herbal medicine practitioners here, either formally or informally? Would be fun to discuss :)

I know I'll be working with the following herbs throughout the year (probably more as well):

1. Nettle Leaf
2. Oatstraw
3. Red Clover Flowers
4. Lemon Balm Leaf
5. Linden Leaf and Flower
6. Peppermint Leaf
7. Elder Flowers
8. Catnip
9. Marshmallow Root
10. Holy Basil “Vana”
11. Burdock Root
12. Dandelion Root
13. Licorice Root
14. Yarrow Leaf and Flower
15. Hawthorn Leaf and Flower

I looked over the list more slowly this morning and those are really interesting choices!
I've read a lot about nettle since last year, but haven't tried anything with it except incorporating it in some of my herbal teas. It indeed has many different helpful properties!
Like a lot of people, peppermint is one of my favorite plants. Dried leaves, fresh leaves, essential oil, essence, name it!
Also all those roots! I don't know why, but I love roots in general haha. I'm often too lazy to prepare a proper decoction but I do have many different roots sitting with all my herbs. :)

celticnoodle

RavenOfSummer, I've been watching this thread since you posted and before the first response. I am very interested in herbal medicine and other ways to use herbal remedies. I hope you enjoy your class, how exciting for you! I also hope you will keep us posted on how it goes and share some of the things you learn here in this thread with us.

Same here. I love to use (and when possible grow our own herbs) natural things in lieu of prescription medicines and also for cleaning, etc.

I wouldn't mind taking a class myself, but as you say...expensive....

Oh! I'd be interested in this recipe--please do share!

I have purchased a variety of store brand lotions, but I also often use coconut oil or olive oil as a lotion. Looking forward to your recipe! :)

RavenOfSummer

I looked over the list more slowly this morning and those are really interesting choices!
I've read a lot about nettle since last year, but haven't tried anything with it except incorporating it in some of my herbal teas. It indeed has many different helpful properties!
Like a lot of people, peppermint is one of my favorite plants. Dried leaves, fresh leaves, essential oil, essence, name it!
Also all those roots! I don't know why, but I love roots in general haha. I'm often too lazy to prepare a proper decoction but I do have many different roots sitting with all my herbs. :)

Yes, I'm quite interested to explore these! And agreed, you really can't go wrong with peppermint in any form :D Working with most of these will be new to me. I do enjoy elder flower wine- it's hard to find in the States, but there was a shop near me that sold it when I lived in London for a couple of years. Hawthorn, I use the berries when I make incense but have not used the leaves and flowers before. Nettle tea sounds like a great idea- must try that!

RavenOfSummer

RavenOfSummer, I've been watching this thread since you posted and before the first response. I am very interested in herbal medicine and other ways to use herbal remedies. I hope you enjoy your class, how exciting for you! I also hope you will keep us posted on how it goes and share some of the things you learn here in this thread with us.

Same here. I love to use (and when possible grow our own herbs) natural things in lieu of prescription medicines and also for cleaning, etc.

I wouldn't mind taking a class myself, but as you say...expensive....

Oh! I'd be interested in this recipe--please do share!

I have purchased a variety of store brand lotions, but I also often use coconut oil or olive oil as a lotion. Looking forward to your recipe! :)

I will for sure! It's nice to be able to discuss with the group here :)

theFeeLion

I'll post the recipe for the lotion later today in its own thread in case there are any questions and stuff about it :)

I'll try and post the link here too :love: