Playing Cards

Logiatrix

northsea said:
What's a good book or website for the traditional playing card meanings?
One thing you will realize as you look at books of playing card meanings is that they all vary from book to book; I found that to be especially confusing when I was just learning--but that is certainly not to say that these books are not good.
Definitely read each of Lee's reviews very thoroughly, before you buy one...or two, etc.
I had invested in all of the books Lee listed, at one time or another, but that was before I had reviews to help me be more selective.
It would also behoove the potential investor to look at each of these titles on Amazon; I checked, and each of them has that "Look Inside" feature that gives you an idea of the contents of the text.
As I did my own research, I started to wonder if there really is such a thing as "traditional" playing card meanings, anyway.
Ultimately, I came up with my own way of reading, whick looks to be the direction of other readers here, as well.
:)

northsea

Lee and Logiatrix,

Thanks much!

Lee

Just to echo Logiatrix, in my opinion, the meanings one finds in a book aren't necessarily any better than what you could come up with yourself. The books are interesting to see what sort of meanings are out there and which meanings you might want to borrow for your own set of meanings. Or, of course, if you find a book you really like, you could just use those meanings as well.

-- Lee

diane drizzy

Thanks so much again! I'd really like to get more into playing card reading. I like the simplicity of playing cards, always have. As mentioned I also find them more discreet at times. And yes Logiatrix, (hangs head :(), I got a multitude of books, and eventually found myself overwhelmed. Right now I'm using the minor tarot meanings since it's less confusing. The sites suggested have also been helpful. :)

MeeWah

The oldest books I have on reading with regular playing cards all eliminate the pip cards from 2 through 6. I came upon those after encountering the approach of Maurice Woodruff, a late British psychic who used the entire deck. After examining the former, I prefer the latter.

As Logiatrix & Lee recommend, developing your own approach may serve your purposes far better as that relies on the intution, which no book can give.

An interesting site:

http://www.geocities.com/twelveofhearts/index.html

diane drizzy

Thanks MeeWah-found that very helpful. :)

seaofclouds

I read mainly with playing cards! I use a numerology/astrology/elemental system for my cards. I also marked my cards so that I can tell which way is *up* and I can read in reverse. It'd be nice to have a deck that was already marked though :)

When I started reading, it was mostly memorizing what I can only describe as the gypsy system. It seemed pretty subjective to me.

I prefer playing cards mostly because I have small hands and they shuffle better. I do miss the majors though.

~Melissa

Umbrae

Yeah...what everybody else said...

LOL

I use numerology/suits/elemental.

I use a joker.

I read the Jacks as Pages (cuz I read the Knights as very different than other court cards in Tarot, and view them as 'added').

Love reading with playing cards...

Lee

I just came across a very interesting-looking book. It's called "Personal Prophecy," by Deborah Leigh. I ordered it from Amazon, and then I found the publisher's website, where you can actually read the entire book online:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0595291953

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Browse Before You Buy," you can page through the entire book, if you have some free time!

It's a very well-worked-out system of reading playing cards. The author claims to have inherited the system from her grandmother. The card meanings seem to be derived from the types of meanings one can find in older sources, but they've been given a modern psychological depth. They don't seem to have anything to do with number+suit methods. And unlike several online sites that deal with playing card divination, the meanings have nothing whatsoever to do with RWS-derived meanings.

What really sets the book apart is that the author really goes out of her way to not only teach the meanings, but to teach how to learn the meanings and the layout system. The book is set up as a course with several levels, and she goes through each card step by step and tries to lead you to feel the card's meanings rather than simply knowing some keywords on an intellectual level.

The book also has a large dollop of self-help, self-empowering, self-motivating material in it, which is really unusual when combined with what are basically fortune-telling-type meanings. I also like the author's extremely friendly and encouraging tone.

When I get the book, I think I may actually go through the entire course as presented in the book. I have high hopes that this particular system will stick with me, unlike other systems which are always somehow unsatisfying.

Anyone who takes a look at the book online, please let me know what you think!

-- Lee

P.S. The author has a website of her own where she is known as the Psychic Love Doctor! :p

http://www.psychiclovedoctor.com/

diane drizzy

Hi Lee! I took a look at that site and will be extending my Santa list. :D