Lenormand, the diff between cross and coffin?

.traveller.

What a wonderful discussion! I go to work and when I come back, I see all these posts :)
I agree that the Mystical isn't a traditional lenormand, the pictures are much more complex. Take the ring for example, in a trad. deck it would show just a ring. In the Mystical it shows a magpie holding a ring in its beak, resting on a windowsill. An open jewelry box, a string instrument, a mirror reflecting the magpie, and a chandelier are also pictured. There are very different connotations to be derived from each. That was why I was flummoxed by the coffin card, a coffin means one thing and a sarcophagus means something else entirely. I am expecting two different lenormand decks in the mail, I hope to compare my readings to see if they differ in message.

Even keywords will vary according to the person who is reading... I personally can't see why 'Karma' is a keyword associated with the Cross. I would not normally think of that in a reading, no matter what the surrounding cards were or the deck used. Someone else might feel differently and the association of the two would seem very natural to them.

Occasionally, the cards are throwing up what appears to be a rogue reading for me. For example, house->letter->stars came up... looks great from a keyword standpoint, but common sense tells me otherwise. I'm still working on the above combination, my intuition hasn't sent up any flags yet.

MatPoint

Hey Traveller,

Maybe 'Karma' wasn't the most appropriate word. But it can be seen in that way as The Cross is about something that can't be avoided, something that you have to go through. Destiny. That's the main concept.

Another traditional keyword for that card is Misfortune. In fact, in other European decks you can see the Cross card but with the word Misfortune at the bottom.

In addition, both cards (Cross and Coffin) are future cards. There are a few more future cards in the deck that are used as separators.

i.e. House + Rods + Cavallier + COFFIN + child + bouquet + sun

There are discussions and arguments at home. This situation isn't going to last long. Very soon harmony, calmness and happiness will be restored.