Wisdom of Avalon: Yay or Nay?

shamoness

Worries Unfounded

Well, tonight I gave the Wisdom of Avalon to my daughter, Tanya. She absolutely adores it! The marker cards were no big deal to her. She read them off with glee and doesn't seem to mind their sameness in the least. She told me she loves oracles and much prefers them to Tarot. I am so pleased she likes it so much. The fact that I picked them with her in mind meant a lot to her. She insists I spoil her and clutched them to her as she rushed of to her room to study them more and find a special place for them. I am just as happy she likes them as she is to get them. Thanks Kat!!!

thorhammer

Oooh! *wriggles with glee* That's just peachy! I'm so happy for you and her! It's so nice when you find the perfect gift for someone :) Bless.

\m/ Kat

shamoness

Especially a "just because I love you" gift.

raventepes

I'm honestly nowhere close to being impressed by the Wisdom Of Avalon. My first impression of the deck after I had seen it after hearing a LOT of hype about it is"Where's the Wisdom"?

To me, the deck seems like it's on repeat or something. Every other card seems to say the same thing, making it a very irritateing deck, IMHO. I think the only saving grace this deck has is that the art is decent.

shamoness

My daughter is very intuitive and is finding her own meanings for these cards. Taking what she knows about Arthurian Lore, she has decided what the animal cards mean to her. These meanings are before what is written on the cards in her mind. She hasn't told me everything she has come up with for each card as she hasn't had them more than a day. It will be interesting to hear what else she sees in them.

I was not personally impressed beyond the artwork, but the cards are working for her. I find in using Tarot I am more likely to intuit the meanings than follow what is written in a companion book. I am pleased to she her doing the same with an oracle.

Up to this point she has purchased all of her own oracles and every one has been by Doreen Virtue. I have given her 4 Tarot decks but this was the first oracle I gave her. I have Froud's Fairies put away for her birthday. I know she'll love that!

Satori

Hi Shamoness,
I think that your daughter sounds incredible! Now I'm not a huge D. Virtue fan either, but my old Healing with the Angels is in the hands of my 9 year old, and she does use it occasionally. Which I think is fine, as it is a good deck for a child.

I love that your daughter is going beyond the meanings on the card and using her own information for the deck. And as for Froud's, well I love it and think that yes, it will put her in a new place altogether. Isn't it nice to share stuff with our kids and see them so responsive??

FaeryGodmother

I'm a little surprised by the general lack affection for this deck. I recently got it and I like it. I did some readings on the Oracle exachnge board and got some good reactions. I wouldn't say its the easiest deck in the world to use but I like the way it feels.

At first, i did get frustrated with the Marker cards. The very first reading i did was for my mum who got three marker cards (in a 3 card reading). It did stump me at first, but the longer we talked about it the more I realised that the reading was right for her. Admitedly, it would have been nice if they had been more imaginative about them- its not like its even a very nice strecth of road, :p But it worked well enough for me.

I hadn't thought of seperating them into two decks- might give that a try and see how I go. Anyway- I vote Yay, I like the deck and seem to be able to work with it. :)

Bernice

Not liking this deck at all - very disappointing. It's been padded out with the 'signpost' cards. I ordered it then found all the pics online, so quickly cancelled it!

I cannot see the point of buying a deck and then dumping half the cards. It's great if someone can connect with it (signposts 'an all), but definatly not for me.

Just my opinion....

Bee :)

bengalwood

Who is the artist?

I don't plan on buying these because, like many of you, I find the marker cards to repetitive. I do like the artist, though. Only I can't find out who it is. (unless Baron-Reid is the author AND artist, which I doubt). Can somebody who has this deck see if the artist is credited? Thanks in advance, Bengalwood

sunflowr

FaeryGodmother said:
I'm a little surprised by the general lack affection for this deck. I recently got it and I like it. I did some readings on the Oracle exachnge board and got some good reactions. I wouldn't say its the easiest deck in the world to use but I like the way it feels.

At first, i did get frustrated with the Marker cards. The very first reading i did was for my mum who got three marker cards (in a 3 card reading). It did stump me at first, but the longer we talked about it the more I realised that the reading was right for her. Admitedly, it would have been nice if they had been more imaginative about them- its not like its even a very nice strecth of road, :p But it worked well enough for me.

I hadn't thought of seperating them into two decks- might give that a try and see how I go. Anyway- I vote Yay, I like the deck and seem to be able to work with it. :)

How are you doing with them lately? I havent used mine in awhile but it's one of my favorite decks. I use them as 2 decks. 1 pile of the markers and another for the images. Have you tried doing that yet?

I connect well with word oracles, so I actually really like the markers.