Yes - it's all about size....

LixiPixi

If I could create my very own deck or recommend any particular feature that would be my first and foremost - my #1 request that "makes" a deck - it would be the size (and quality) of the cards. Make them too big - okay, great pictures, but you're screwed in the long run. The minis are pretty darn good, but somehow just a bit toooooo on the extreme side of small.

How come nobody can just create a deck the same size as your everyday playing-card deck? I mean, really, for the majority of hands, small or large, is not the size of a standard playing card deck not perfect?

Why are so many made with the same width, but the length is bigger? And to top it all off......."I" have pretty big hands for a girl! I can't imagine the pretty petite hands trying to work with these decks!

If you're so inclinded to create your own deck - please consider the size of the final card! Ultimately - in the long run - that will make or break your success (in my opinion!)

LP~

baba-prague

Ages back we started a thread on this issue and found that there were as many opinions as card sizes! I don't think you'll find one overall preference. Some people adore large cards because you can see the artwork better - and are happy to shuffle in various novel ways to get around the size. Others would agree with you that small cards are better. But there really seems to be a wide diversity of opinion on this.

In the end personally we standardised on a size that we felt was as large as possible to show off the imagery, while still being small enough for most people to shuffle. But there is no "right" answer I think.

Oneira

I have the Lunatic and happily shuffle those, although I think they'd be better for tarot spells.

Size of deck has not been an issue for me. Of course, I have large hands and have never tried a mini-deck. I can imagine those might drive me nuts.

My big issue with decks are card quality. It is all too easy for my cards to start splitting on the corners because I'm not particularly gentle.

DraagonStorm

I offer my SpiroTarot www.draagonstorm.com in three sizes {Or custom size, since I print them myself}, and I had one person order the poker size 3.5" x 2.5. That person then contacted me, and asked if she could exchange it for a larger size, which I did for her. The artwork and detail didn't show up as well in the smaller size.

I have to agree with larger size cards being better for reading. The artwork and detail is so much easier to see. There are so many different ways to shuffle a deck, if a person is having a problem with oversize cards. JMHO

BB
DraagonStorm

LixiPixi

The idea of offering various sizes is just wonderful, DraagonStorm! It's very nice to have that option. Have you noticed a certain size selling more than another?

I just got my Victoria Regina deck and my Inner Child deck and boy, oh boy are they huge! However, I love the VR so much that I don't care and make due with shuffling them sideways rather than longways.

For a girl, I have pretty large hands, so I'm not finding it difficult for many of the standard size tarot decks like the Gilded or Llewellyn. Although, Nigel Jackson and DruidCraft, for example, are getting a bit big on the big side. Anything over that gets very difficult. I even find with my larger hands the mini decks can get away from me if I'm not careful. I guess that's why I opt for the ones more like a regular playing deck - they just seem to be a happy medium for me. I love shuffling - it's a way of meditation for me. I can sit and watch television just shuffling and shuffling to my hearts content :)

LP~

DraagonStorm

The 4" x 2.5" is the most popular size.

BB
DraagonStorm

Akatala

I, personally, agree on the size issue. I have small hands and if I can't shuffle a deck, then I'm certainly not going to use it for anything else but something pretty on a shelf. :S