Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

huntd04

I was just making up an example. I don't know anyone who has the ability to tell the circumstances of what and how someone is going to die. I was just making up something to use.

The point I was trying to make is that if one has knowledge of a possible future and they do not like it there are steps they can take to avoid said future. To say that the future is set in stone would be saying that everything is predestined to happen and thus we have no real free will. Some may believe that way but I personally do not.

I am not trying to breed any sort of hostilities though in how I look upon things.

Nikita_

I was just making up an example. I don't know anyone who has the ability to tell the circumstances of what and how someone is going to die. I was just making up something to use.

The point I was trying to make is that if one has knowledge of a possible future and they do not like it there are steps they can take to avoid said future. To say that the future is set in stone would be saying that everything is predestined to happen and thus we have no real free will. Some may believe that way but I personally do not.

I am not trying to breed any sort of hostilities though in how I look upon things.

I disagree with practically everything you say...but that's OK....That's what we're here for....

gregory

Neither do I. You aren't alone - don't apologise.

Sulis

I completely agree with everything you've said and I think tarot really comes into it's own if we do see that the probable outcome is going to be bad because then we can ask for advice in changing that outcome..
I don't like to leave any reading on a negative note so if things look as if they are heading in a bad direction, I ask how the querant can change that outcome so they leave with some practical advice about how to make their life how they want it to be.

Nikita_

I completely agree with everything you've said and I think tarot really comes into it's own if we do see that the probable outcome is going to be bad because then we can ask for advice in changing that outcome..
I don't like to leave any reading on a negative note so if things look as if they are heading in a bad direction, I ask how the querant can change that outcome so they leave with some practical advice about how to make their life how they want it to be.

Two questions :
So in other words, you always find a way of ending the reading on a positive note ?
Has tarot, on your asking how a bad outcome can be changed, given you an answer like "no, this one cannot be changed ? "
And if so, what do you tell the querent then ? ( that's 3 questions, actually...)

Sulis

Two questions :
So in other words, you always find a way of ending the reading on a positive note ?
Has tarot, on your asking how a bad outcome can be changed, given you an answer like "no, this one cannot be changed ? "
And if so, what do you tell the querent then ? ( that's 3 questions, actually...)

Yes I always try to find a way of ending a reading on a positive note and since I don't think the future is set in stone and nothing is guaranteed I don't see how you could get a 'no' answer... You take the advice that you get when you ask but it's not a guarantee, nothing in life is guaranteed....

gregory

Yes I always try to find a way of ending a reading on a positive note and since I don't think the future is set in stone and nothing is guaranteed I don't see how you could get a 'no' answer... You take the advice that you get when you ask but it's not a guarantee, nothing in life is guaranteed....
Nicely put.

Nikita_

The fact that the future may not be set in stone doesn’t necessarily mean that we can always turn things around to get the happy ending we desire. Plus, I think your approach can be very dangerous and misleading.
Years ago I knew a tarot reader, who was also a friend, who applied the same method to readings as you do : trying to make people feel good, positive, in other words, giving them hope-something we discussed widely in the thread. We were a group of friends, all into tarot to some degree, and she had an exoteric shop where she read tarot for clients. One day, one of the people in our circle took her a friend for a reading, who was stuck in an impossible love situation with a guy who was obviously taking advantage of her, and leading her on without any intention of ever getting serious with her. She did the reading-we were all there- and we all ended up with the impression that she had told her to hang on, be positive, because everything was going to work out fine, and gave her advice on how to get the “ desired result “, as you put it. The querent was all happy and optimistic when she left, and when we were alone, the reader said to us : “ That poor girl. She should really forget about that guy, he’s a b*** and has no real feelings for her…” We were dumbfounded. We all-4 of us – looked at each other incredulous. Had we been to the same reading as her ? The querent was justified in her unfounded hopes ; true, she felt positive and optimistic about life, but how long would that last ? Sooner or later, she, like all of us, would have to face reality; the fact that we can’t make someone love us, no matter how hard we try, and that sometimes, we are better off employing our energies gathering the strength to move on rather than wasting them chasing after an impossible dream.
I’ve repeated this ad nauseam in the thread, but I guess there’s going to be no meeting point, with someone who believes we are “ masters of our own destiny “ and we can make everything and anything happen. Personally, I don’t think you do people any favours with that approach, sulis. And neither is it helpful to them. And it scares me to realize that there are so many readers who believe otherwise.

gregory

Sulis did NOT say that readings should be turned around to get the outcome we desire. Nor does she "try to make her sitters feel good." She is far too responsible for that. "Making them feel good" where there are scary cards is not the same thing as giving them hope. It doesn't have to be hope that whatever they asked about will turn out the way they want - it can be hope of something completely different.
Clearly the reader you cite was not a reader anyone should go to. But I would go to Sulis like a shot. I'd get sensible information - maybe not 100% palatable, but useful and not presented as OMG the end is at hand.

SURE that exact desired outcome the sitter hopes for may not be possible - but saying that is NOT the same thing as suggesting that only a dire outcome is on the cards. The whole point is having the information available to be able to change things. IF your relationship is going to end - then look at ways you can go forward in a new way. IF it is going to end because of the way things are now - for instance, where you have someone who is so paranoid about losing their partner that they can't allow them out of the house alone - it does happen - that will kill a relationship; you might pull death for that - but you can also learn from the cards drawn that letting go of that paranoia - while not easy - could change it all and keep the relatinship going.

Zephyros

I agree with gregory and Sulis. Suppose you did a reading on the outcome of a certain test that you were supposed to be taking (a written test, I mean). The outcome of the reading was not very good, yet the answer there is obvious, and also responsible: study harder. That's a positive end to the reading yet also does not give any false hope.

So you do study harder, and give it your all and end up passing the test. The reading was not wrong, nor was the advice given. On the contrary, accepting the outcome as the end would merely mean you would sit back, tell yourself you would fail the test anyway and not even try. There is no guarantee that studying for the test would make you pass it, but not studying is in fact a guarantee that you will fail.