Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

Simple

It can. I've seen success and failures. I think it depends on a lot of things such as readers's skill and moods, clients' mood of the reading. A lot of times, people come expecting an answer or wanting to hear answer. The result might not be what they want to hear, also free will is HUGE.

moon_light

Sometimes people "get the future wrong" because things change. I view tarot as a heads up about what's going on and the most likely outcome if things stay as they are. You might not like a reading, so you use your free will to change your course and get a different outcome. The prediction wasn't wrong; you just decided you didn't want that particular future. (Other people have free will, too, of course, so they can change things as well.)

ravenest

Sometimes the Weather Guy on TV gets it wrong. Does that mean meteorology doesn't work?

But Shade ... 'doesnt work' and 'predicting the future' are two TOTALLY different things !

Tarot 'works' so does meteorology ... neither 'predict the future'.

ravenest

Sometimes people "get the future wrong" because things change. I view tarot as a heads up about what's going on and the most likely outcome if things stay as they are. You might not like a reading, so you use your free will to change your course and get a different outcome. The prediction wasn't wrong; you just decided you didn't want that particular future. (Other people have free will, too, of course, so they can change things as well.)

Well ... that has to be an all time classic !

A tarot reader predicts the future and it doesnt come about ... but "the prediction wasn't wrong; you just decided you didn't want that particular future" and also other people can change it; " Other people have free will, too, of course, so they can change things as well."

But the prediction is not wrong .... seriously ? :bugeyed:

That is like saying the weather prediction says sunny ... but some wind came along and blew some clouds in from the ocean and it rained ... but the prediction wasnt wrong ... other forces interfered .

Thats the sort of thing the Australian Government tries to tell us.

GotH

Tarot 'works' so does meteorology ... neither 'predict the future'.

Okay help me understand this then. Someone has asked me how their night will go and I can give the some information on how things will turn out. In turn, they've come back and told me I was right. Is that not a prediction of some kind?

moon_light

Well ... that has to be an all time classic !

A tarot reader predicts the future and it doesnt come about ... but "the prediction wasn't wrong; you just decided you didn't want that particular future" and also other people can change it; " Other people have free will, too, of course, so they can change things as well."

But the prediction is not wrong .... seriously ? :bugeyed:

That is like saying the weather prediction says sunny ... but some wind came along and blew some clouds in from the ocean and it rained ... but the prediction wasnt wrong ... other forces interfered .

Thats the sort of thing the Australian Government tries to tell us.

Again, I believe it tells us the outcome if nothing changes. And things change. If I do a reading and get told that something I don't like is going to happen, of course I'm going to make choices to avoid that outcome. I wasn't wrong; I decided I wanted something else. But you don't have to agree with me.

bluelagune

Tarot is just a tool. Like a car, you still need a human to drive it. So if you get a bad reader, like a bad driver it can be a very unpleasant experience. If you get a good reader, you might get where you need to be safely :)

Now, if you wish to discuss human abilities, defects, challenges or gifts as some call it, that allow them to use the tool (tarot) propertly, start new thread. :)

ravenest

GoTH & Moonlight ; One can advise about a possible outcome and that might happen ... but that is not predicitng the future.

The future is a result of possible outcomes and (as Moonlight points out) and other changes , influences and decisions that effect (or dont effect) the outcome.

The outcome IS the future (in relation to the 'present' of when the prediction was made.

A reading may be able to discern an outcome , but it wont predict THE future.

Again ... as I said earlier .... in post # 4 .

ravenest

Tarot is just a tool. Like a car, you still need a human to drive it. So if you get a bad reader, like a bad driver it can be a very unpleasant experience. If you get a good reader, you might get where you need to be safely :)

Now, if you wish to discuss human abilities, defects, challenges or gifts as some call it, that allow them to use the tool (tarot) propertly, start new thread. :)

:)

I can 'predict the future' even without the cards .... (according to some of the above definitions - that I seriously doubt would float beyond the world of tarot, astrology, etc 'predictions' ) but the cards cant 'predict' without me ;)

Nineveh

The fact is, I know a couple of excellent readers who, over the years, have been able to see the most amazing things in the present, and about people they were reading about-really talented Readers, I think, that on a few occasions have had the most incredible flops when predicting the future...I am trying to understand how that can happen....

How does it happen? His name is Jehovah and He has the last word. The mighty hand of God.! Amen!

To answer your original question. My three and five card readings have been great at predicting the future. One person on AT sent me a pm a couple of months after the reading to mention that my prediction of the future happened as read. She was very skeptical at first. Another person has sent me a pm to tell me that my prediction of an upcoming pregnancy that she hadn't even suspected during the time of the reading had come to fruition. Another memorable predictive reading was when I saw the death of someone's ill relative through the cards.

Yes, the cards can give us a glimpse of the future. I don't always blame the reader when a prediction fails to manifest due to the reasons previously mentioned.