Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

Zephyros

It might be time to 'review the internal map' ?

Quite. So, after so many responses, have any of them changed your world view Nikita? Have your ideas developed, or are we still at page one? Because honestly, we can talk for another fifty pages and one's belief will not change. This has been a very pleasant discussion, but not entirely unlike pounding one's head against a brick wall.

Farzon

Quite. So, after so many responses, have any of them changed your world view Nikita? Have your ideas developed, or are we still at page one? Because honestly, we can talk for another fifty pages and one's belief will not change. This has been a very pleasant discussion, but not entirely unlike pounding one's head against a brick wall.
Or like running in circles. Obviously I'm not Nikita, but I'd like to answer your question as well.
This thread has not changed my beliefs - I still believe that Tarot can predict the future and it does pretty well sometimes.

But during this thread I lost my interest in even trying to foretell future events. On the other hand my interest for Tarot as tool for self-analysis and spiritual development increased heavily.
(Though I will continue to practice both uses)

Nikita_

If I didn't say this then, I will do now - I believe in an infinite number of timelines and that every single outcome actually happens and splits the thread of time so that both futures take place. I think that is something to do with quantum theory. And I certainly don't see it as simplistic - it is profoundly complex and quite scary.

Hearing something that is said as irritating and patronising doesn't mean it's wrong; maybe it was for the best. That that wasn't what you wanted to hear is a separate issue entirely. So yes - I'd say that is just you. :) Hope for the future - any future - is a valuable thing. It prevents us giving up.

It's not just irritating and patronizing-true as it may be-and who knows what was best for the querent, anyway ? A tarot reader is not all-knowing and almighty- it's simply not what people go to tarot readers for-many people, anyway, including me. If I want to be consoled and reassured with common sense optimism, I will write to an agony aunt, who will tell me things like " he didn't deserve you ", " you're-better off without him ", and so on-which amounts to the same thing-and not spend money to go and have my cards read by someone who claims he or she is a professional TAROT READER...and that's not just me, surely...

Nikita_

Just because you (and I) don't really understand it, does not make it simplistic and yes, I think quantum mechanics is considered a science these days and is much more than a theory.

The point is, I am not aware that science has finally cracked the mystery and the nature of the universe, how it really works, the past-present future or parallel universe question, and so on... there are many interesting and valid theories, but as far as I know, they're just theories to this day....and we might never really get to the bottom of it...another angle about the timelessness issue is that there is no past-present-future sequence, but everything exists in the here and now, but in different dimensions, parallel universes, or whatever you want to call them...it means that now I'm here with you writing on this forum, and on a different dimension or parallel universe I'm at home with my parents and I'm 3 years old....not before or after, but all NOW...if that was the truth, nothing would prevent us-in theory-from catching a glimpse of a future dimension, so to speak....but again, just another fascinating theory that one day MAY be proven true....

Nikita_

I think all this confusion ( I dont mean you are all confused, most posts make good sense, I mean 'some' are 'all confused') is due to the issue of falling in to the first category of tarot usage.

The fortune teller. People want their fortune told how it 'will be' , the 'set in stone' view.

But now, we realise that is a future that can only be discerned in the 'future present' ; when we open the box. From the 'this present now' perspective, anything can happen in the future. Its nearly like a religious belief , the way some look at tarot, and when it doesnt fulfill, or is seen to be false, they appear cross, angry or ripped off. Sorry, the fault lied within themselves as they had the wrong view from the beginning.

The Magician. People realise the future is a bunch of threads leading to an event, as we go along threads branch off to other event possibilities that dont occur, the threads vanish, disappear, go into another dimension, whatever. As we get closer to the event, or as Michael said, 'more immanent ', fewer potential outcomes seem possible, but still, they can swerve and bend at that last minute. This type of reading is how best to manipulate events so they turn out the way you want.

IMO this is a case of someone coming from position 1 and still being jacked off about it. In essence, it is like someone buying a lucky charm bracelet, the next day they have an accident so they take the bracelet back to the shop and want their money back.

In brief;

Belief - tarot predicts the future .

Occurrence - tarot didnt predict the future.

Reaction - upset at tarot.

Reality - Your belief was wrong.

55 pages later. ... It might be time to 'review the internal map' ?

Fifty-five pages later, my conclusion : tarot cannot RELIABLY predict the future, which to me, is the same as saying that it can't predict it-given my black and white, absolutist, binary approach....

Nikita_

True. My conclusions are in the reply to ravenest...
A very brief sentence, to sum up all this.....but that's honestly all I can come up with....
Thank you guys...

gregory

It's not just irritating and patronizing-true as it may be-and who knows what was best for the querent, anyway ?
Not the querent - or they wouldn't have asked for a reading - they were already unsure.

Nikita_

Not the querent - or they wouldn't have asked for a reading - they were already unsure.

And maybe not the reader either-readers are flawed human beings, like everybody else-and maybe asking for their advice was not the smartest thing to begin with....who knows...

Sulis

Fifty-five pages later, my conclusion : tarot cannot RELIABLY predict the future, which to me, is the same as saying that it can't predict it-given my black and white, absolutist, binary approach....

I agree with you there Nkita_ :).

Michael Sternbach

Nikita, the absolutist, binary approach belongs to the mechanistic Newtonian Universe. Welcome to the Quantum World!

Where Tarot lives.