RWS 101 Ace of Wands

PAMUYA

RWS Tarot 101 Ace of Wands

Being new to tarot I want to take the time to explore each card and hear all the different interpretations, and opinions on the cards. Each of us has our own special insights and experiences which we can share and help each other grow in our knowledge of tarot. I read from the Rider/Waite/Smith deck, it would be very interesting to hear from you that work from other decks as well.

Please feel free to join me. I will start the thread in the Rider/Waite/Smith section. I will name the thread “RWS Tarot 101: Ace of Wands”. We will start with the Minor Arcana, and work our way through the different suits then work on the Major Arcana, one card per day. Each card we will start a new thread.

Peacebewithme and Sassyjackal

peacestartswithme

Perfect

Its really is great to connect and to share. I look forward to this experience.

PAMUYA

What do you see?

When looking at the Ace of Wands this is what I see:

Ace of Wands – Fire/will/energy/passion/action

“I recognize this opportunity for new ideals and creative growth” Greer..

Looking at the card I see the hand gently holding the wand with the thumb pointing up, I see the castle, the rolling hills, trees, and river. Castle-foundation/strength, River-emotions flowing, Trees-new growth/beginnings.

Direct: Creative growth, time to take on new projects, a new start, travel, passionate action. This is a fire card, it has fiery energy, its force can be unpredictable. I have been taught that it can also mean a birth, good health and a commencement-do you see that in this card?

Reversed: Looking at the reversed card, it’s “thumbs down”-delays/cancellations, feeling powerless, hesitation due to lack of resources, lack of determination. I know many do not use the Reversed meanings, I was brought up with them, so I could not discuss a card without touching on the reversal (ying and yang thing).

The crowned one

Aces are power cards and can mean either potential or an overload of the given suites energy in my mind. Aces can indicate obsession or potential power of pure energy.

Wands as an Ace are generally new actions or adventure and acting on inspiration. Perhaps a new venture. I also see this one as conception and fertility as do all the traditional cartomancers from Etteila to Waite. Sometimes it is a card of invention. Think of wands as a birth of anything, from a child to writing a book. It the a source of passion, action and the will to create.

PAMUYA

yes!

I see that now! Aces have energy of its own..I wasn't looking beyond the suit. Very good!

What about color? Sometimes color calls to me and I am not sure how to take it. This card has a lot of blue. I view blue as relaxing, using imagination, being inspired, blue water of the ocean, travel? Looking at this card the blue seems to be hopeful, a new hope?

Thank you Milfoil-I plan to have lots of fun!

GryffinSong

I tend to view aces as beginnings. And I associate wands mostly with creative endeavors. In this card, I see the hand as holding power. Taking up pen, or brush, or some other tool of creativity. The hand glows with energy. The curls of the clouds imply abstraction, or something new, or a fluid flow of strength. When I see this card I see happiness, home, starting a path to joy.

peacestartswithme

Ace of Wands

When I look at this card I see power, strength, change, holding ones destiny in one's hands. I see control. I just get a sense of power when I look at this card on the more intuitive side. It feels like that wand could both be used to manifest one's future, or break down everything around you- both could be positive or negative depending on how you look at the card

The crowned one

I wrote this for another site I belong to : I felt since we are discussing Aces it would not hurt to have a bit of general background. This is of course just my opinion. Feel free to toss out or think about any of the bits and pieces :D

The power cards: Aces. I find it interesting that some people seem to put Aces on a pedestal that is higher then even the majors. I think this is because they feel they have some control over them. Everyone loves potential and what they feel are inherently good cards.

Aces are about new beginnings, they represent pure energy, it is untapped and ready for you to utilize if you play your cards right. These cards are seen in a almost purely positive light, and that is good but I would like to point out all cards have a negative aspect. Generally, for Aces it is a overload of energy in the form of the suite the Ace represents or types of megalomania. An Ace of wands with the Devil may indicate sexual compulsion as a simple example. An Ace of cups can easily be representing a completely emotional response to a situation or perhaps being manic! Swords: how about heartless actions through lack of emotion. You get the idea I am sure.

Another key point for Aces, I feel, is they are static and can do nothing; you need to take action to use the energy or see the changes offered by Aces. There are two exceptions to this for myself when I read. One) when they are surrounded by major trump cards this energy may be forced into your life as a unstoppable force, but at least you can prepare, which leads to the second exception: Aces are occasionally a warning of being careful not to lose yourself in something about to enter your life, the cards around them will dictate what.

HoneyBea

I always see the Aces as the "raw energy" of their suit, no stable form yet, just full of the potential of what they could be.

Keywords I have for the Aces are basic quality, beginnings, opportunities.

The Wands is a suit that I see as energy, action and creativity and when the ace turns up I may well have to ask myself what spark of an idea do I need to grab here and set in motion, what burning desire do I have to start something new. The Ace of Wands says the time is right to take that idea, thought, put the energy into it and help to translate it into reality.

So this Ace may well indicate fresh and new ideas and the desire to do something different may well appeal, it also indicates here that one may well be facing a new challenge and with its energy it suggest that you go forward to meet this challenge with enthusiasm even though you do not yet know how it will work out.
Wands are a fast moving energy, and even though this card does indicate new ideas, different directions, it also reminds you not to rush into it — take you time to set into motion those ideas so that they have every chance of success.

Again the Ace is offered to you from a hand that emerges from a cloud, a gift if you like from the heavens, the thing to remember here is that you are offered the gift now it is up to you what you do with it.

The Esoteric Title: Root of the Power of Fire indicates that this is where the Wands energy begins the wand itself is depicted as a living branch which may well symbolise the power within, this power could well be the creative power that is roused and it encourages us to be brave in expanding those new ideas.

You will notice on this RWS Ace that eight of the leaves are shaped like the hebrew letter yod and so may well represent the seeds of ideas falling to the ground and taking root.

The castle in the background could well symbolise here the manifestation of those ideas seen now in reality and the flowing water may well represent those emotions and feelings that help us to put those ideas and thoughts into action.

Just some of my thoughts on this card.

~HoneyBea~