Questions on using my own spread.

truntum

Hi all,

This is going to be long. If you would, please, bear with me. Those who do, I thank you.

This forum contains a wealth of information especially for a student-level interpreter like me. I found out about this forum long before I actually own a deck. Have always been so attracted to Tarot since ages ago, but didn't have the gold to buy one. Back then, it's really hard in Jakarta to find a store that sells Tarot cards. One day my mother bought me one and it's a marseille deck. Didn't find anything attractive about that card. To this day I always find it difficult to be interpreted, but, curiously, I interpret better with that card.

OK. So, I somehow struggle more in finding a spread that... works? My interpretation was never as smooth as I have wanted.

Finally, at one reading, feeling thoroughly exhausted, I asked the querent to just take five cards. I interpreted whatever came to my mind upon seeing the cards and it was... magical. The interpretation happened just like I have always wanted. It was flowing out nicely and the querent was happy. Afterwards, I asked the querent whether or not they are satisfied or would they like to ask questions. She asked more question(s). Then, I asked her to pull out a number of cards and interpreted it for her.

Because it worked so well for me--and have always been since then--I never use any other spread other than that. What I realized is that almost regularly, a card that represents the querent would appear among the first five cards drawn by them. To my experiences, that five cards tell the almost exact condition of the querent's current thoughts, battle and emotions.

Now my question is this: Is it OK for me to never use any other spread than my own?

I'm asking this because I'm not yet a pro. Every now and then the cards tried to channel tons of information but I missed it because I haven't got a firm grip on all of the meanings of the cards, positive of negative. Could it be that I missed it also because I (only) use my feeble spread? Or is it simply because I haven't master all the meanings?

Currently I'm interpreting with the Marseille deck, the Art Nouveau Grand Trumps, the Aquarian deck, and the Wild Unknown deck. I'm learning by doing interpretations and reading a book that is very good to my opinion, "The Way of Tarot, The Spritual Teacher in the Cards" by Alexander Jodorowsky.

Much, much thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.

Salam from Jakarta,
Truntum

Hemera

Now my question is this: Is it OK for me to never use any other spread than my own?
But of course it is ok. Why wouldn´t it be!
Sounds like you are a very intuitive reader which is great. I have been using different spreads for over 15 years and only during the past few years have I been able to let go of the safe rope of a spread and develop my intuition and make my own spreads during a reading.

I'm asking this because I'm not yet a pro. Every now and then the cards tried to channel tons of information but I missed it because I haven't got a firm grip on all of the meanings of the cards, positive of negative. Could it be that I missed it also because I (only) use my feeble spread? Or is it simply because I haven't master all the meanings?
I think it´s neither. Each card has so much information and so many possibilities that you will always have to choose one over the other. I think very few people actually master all the meanings.
If the readings flow well and you and your client are happy I don´t think there´s any reason to worry or to change anything. Just keep studying and give yourself time and don´t worry. I think it sounds like you are doing just fine.

Oh, and welcome to Aeclectic Tarot truntum :)

truntum

Dear Hemera,
Thank you so much for your response! I feel a bit relieved after reading your response. :D

The meanings for one card alone are so much indeed that I think I might never consider using reversals.

You've been a reader for 15 years? Wow. I hope I could be as experienced. :)

Again, thank you.

danieljuk

welcome to the forum Truntum :) :thumbsup:

I think one aspect of learning tarot is experimenting to find what exactly works for you! we all have our own methods and spreads that work best for us, we all do things a little differently!

if you have found your spread works for you, you have found the best method for you! :) it is ok to just use your five card system! buuuut I recommend in your own reading and practice to perhaps try other things. Don't just close off to everything else forever now. In my own readings I find 3 cards with no positions works best. I do that a lot! But each month I do a large spread for myself at least once, or I pick a spread from the wonderful index here. This is to keep me on my toes and try other things. Different spreads with formal positions are sometimes important and even I can see now they are needed sometimes. It's worthwhile challenging yourself and trying things you don't normally do!

For example you might use your preferred system 90% of the time, but 10% try other spreads and ways of doing it, it just helps you see other ways of doing it. Spreads with lots of positions are good for really complex questions or one's with lots of options as outcomes, even I have to admit my 3 carders don't fit exactly all the time :) But there is no one way of everyone doing a spread Truntum. It's great you found what works!

truntum

buuuut I recommend in your own reading and practice to perhaps try other things. Don't just close off to everything else forever now. In my own readings I find 3 cards with no positions works best. I do that a lot! But each month I do a large spread for myself at least once, or I pick a spread from the wonderful index here. This is to keep me on my toes and try other things. Different spreads with formal positions are sometimes important and even I can see now they are needed sometimes. It's worthwhile challenging yourself and trying things you don't normally do!

First of all, thank you so much for your response.

I shall not think that I will ONLY use my spread from this time forward. It's just that so far, I haven't found any spread other than mine that works the way I want it.

I'm very open to suggestions and, in fact, I'm thankful beyond words that this forum has more of it than I could ever ask for. This forum is filled with creative and intuitive readers. WOW.

Do you have a spread in mind that you would suggest to me, danieljuk? A spread that also works for you other than your 3 cards spread, perhaps?

Again, I thank you. :)

danieljuk

I just think it's a bad idea to only use one technique 100% of the time, even if you try one different spread each month apart from your technique. It's keeping yourself open to other ideas :)

In this spread area there is always new spreads posted by people and also there is an index at the top of the spread area which has spreads on every topic categorised! there is also reading circles on here that you can take part in it when you have got to 25 posts on the forum. They are exchange circles where you get a partner and a random spread chosen for that month. I look for a random spread or something I want to try in that moment. Maybe a seasonal spread, maybe one you see in a book! So my way is just random or trying different one's.

your view of the cards and interpretation knowledge starts to improve, keep using them :)

ana luisa

I read your "long" post and when I saw the word MAGICAL, I got hooked. OF COURSE you can read without a spread!!! However, you will realize, as you go on practising, that they "way you display your cards" will turn out to be a spread. YOUR spread. The one that works for you. I also agree with daniel in that you should experiment with other ways of laying the cards but they do not necessarily to come out of books or even here. They can come from your head/hear/intuition. The only instance I think spreads should be advised is when the whole reading seems to be absolutely chaotic, and you, as a reader cannot make head nor tails of what the cards are saying. Thus, a more "structured" mould is necessary.
Above all, I hope you continue enjoying this great journey ! :love: