Chart Reading: Step #4, Martha Stewart -- ASC & MC, Sun & Moon

Minderwiz

I'm pleasantly surprised at how differing approaches are leading to similar conclusions. No one approach is right, despite the views of one or two 'experts' out there.

As Dave says a diversity of views leads to a more considered review and analysis.

I've no idea what Martha looks like - does anyone know of an internet link to a photo?

M-Press

little things...

Hi!
It's funny how among my friends I'm considered an "expert" in astrology, and here I feel like a baby , learning to...crowl!

Thanks so much for all these insighful comments and discussussions!
Some of the recent comments , reminded me the following:
- Scorpio Asc: I see those as people who when you first meet the, they need to first observe, feel the ground, evaluate the situation, and only then they act.
When I saw Martha on TV, although she has that "shiny Leo look", when interviewed, one can see that she first waits to hear "all the facts", and then she bursts in, in mighty confidence, but never before she has figured out where she stands. (so, the scorpio ASC controlls the uncontrollable Mars in Aries)...

Dave wrote: "When I see Scorpio ascendant signs I expect to see an angular, strong nose and chiseled lips."
I never saw that as a Scorpio ASC, although now that i think of it that way, I can already think of a few.
BUT, i myself have a whole "philosophy" about people with such characteristics (unaware of their rising): These are usually people, that while your interests are mutual, they are your best "back" and friend. If their interests shift though, they are exactly those to stub you in the face and in the heart!
Is that about the "all or nothing" scorpio approach? Just putting it out there... I've had this "theory" for years...

dadsnook2000

Pictures & background on Martha

Minderwiz has asked about Martha and what she looks like. I can suggest the following sites:

www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/People/Shows/Stewart/Profile.html

This profile offers pictures, biographical background and comments on her father, a gallery of pictures. EDITED: In the above URL, once I posted it, the full address didn't print. The middle portion should read /People/Shows/Stewart/Profile.html I guess the URL was just too long. Dave. END OF EDIT.

www.marthatalks.com

This site has a personal letter from Martha and is frequently updated. It doesn't show many photos but it has a personal letter showing her mode of expression.

Dave.

Minderwiz

Thanks for the links Dave.

The pictures aren't that good to judge facial characteristics but from the accompanying article on CNN website it does sound as though she is definitely Choleric! - if the accounts are true there's definitely anger, irritability and impatience!

gloria

Posted by gloria on 13-10-2003 11:33:
Reading your post Minderwiz I realised I'd missed out Moon square Neptune.

"I have just read that this could show, amongst other things, that associates, (business associates?) could prove to be unreliable.

Also a possibility for her to be deceived by women."

Posted by Minderwiz on 13-10-2003 17:29:
"Gloria,

Neptune's in her eleventh so it would be a female friend rather than a business associate. I tend to take Neptune as self deception rather than deception by others - but unrealistic expectations, hopes and aspirations could well be involved with Neptune in the eleventh and these could relate to friends.

So whilst a friend might not purposefully decieve her she might have unrealistic expectations, which when not fulfilled lead her to believe that she was deceived - she shifts the responsibility."

It would seem she has been let down by a male business associate.
Douglas Faneuil has agreed to a plea-deal Oct 3rd in which he admitted to passing on the insider tip. In exchange for plea he is expected to testify against MS.
He was a friend (11th house) at one time I would imagine.

Her being deceived by women would surely be apt, considering her husband had a number of affairs, one being Ms’s aide.

Gloria.

dadsnook2000

For Gloria

Some great views, Gloria. As I've always said, "If you have options then exercise them all." A Jupiterian view that applies to astrological symbolism -- sooner or later all/most options will show up in how ones experiences or expresses one's chart.

This is especially easy to see in the charts of public figures as they live out the energy of their charts very strongly. Its only the couch potatoes that sit home year after year and complain that nothing ever happens for them. Have you ever done a chart for a person who thinks life is a spectator sport? I'm glad M-press suggested this chart, we are getting a lot out of it. Dave.

Minderwiz

Just a quick marker for future discussion.

MS has Uranus in the seventh and I know that a number of modern Astrologers, such as Carol Rushman, take that as a possible sign of divorce.

The argument being that the native (Martha) requires to maintain their own individuality and idiosyncratic expression in a relationship. This demand for substantial independance eventually leads to a breakdown in the relationship.

Now I gather from the CNN link that Martha is indeed divorced and given gloria's comments about her husband's affairs - perhaps we could look at her relationships when we get round to Venus (ruler of the seventh) and/or Saturn and Uranus (both in the seventh).

Back on the theme of Ascendant and MC, It occured to me that there aren't very many books devoted to the Midheaven as such. One that I do have is by Stephanie Jane Clement - The Power of the Midheaven. So I thought it might contribute to the discussion if I use her approach and also contrast it with a traditional approach to the MC. Both will give some useful insights or supporting evidence for the ideas we have formed up to now.

gloria

For Dave/Minderwiz

I mentioned the midpoint (Sun and Asc.) conjunction with Neptune a couple of posts back.

I would imagine it to be important in the chart (please tell me if that isn't so), but as I have no idea how midpoints are interpreted, I wonder if you could throw some light on the subject.

Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, I don't mean to.

Gloria.

gloria

rewinding just a bit.

I’ve always been a bit jumbled in my mind as to Asc and Midheaven definitions.

But I think I go along with the Midheaven being our goal in life, not necessarily in terms of career, it could show our personal or spiritual aims.

And the Ascendant shows the way, or how we will go about achieving that goal.

What I find interesting is the tendency for us to identify and admire the qualities of the sign on the Midheaven, whether or not we have those qualities ourselves.
This makes me think that we must, even if it’s on an unconscious level, be continually striving to reach our Midheaven status.

Gloria.

Minderwiz

Leo Ascendant Modern View

High aspirations coupled with persistence, can endure through all sorts of challenges. There’s a desire to achieve social status, they want to be at the top. Lots of self confidence, ability to lead, and excellent organisational skills.

But the can be hypersensitive to humour, may take jokes seriously and thus may take offence at a humorous jibe (taken from Ebertin). Also very loathe to change their minds, rather withdraw from a discussion altogether - refuse to play again till the rules are changed. Can respond to situations with sustained effort. Can bring dignity to any situation and indeed demand dignity from others in formal and informal situations. Also they can strip dignity from friend or foe with one sentence or one word. Can use this to control others but probably only as a last resort – its not true Leo leadership.

She has her Midheaven in the middle of Leo – the neurosis common to the pure fixed sign is the ability to avoid inconvenient facts about change – this manifests through a fear of change – a better approach is to create space to allow change to occur and to act in a magnanimous way when doing so and to encourage it in others. Alice Bailey is quoted as saying Leos function through sensitivity. Hypersensitivity is a pivotal problem with Leo Midheavens and they begin to have a positive affect on the world when they have been personally affected by the world.

I would expect that aspects to the MC will modify the reading. In Martha’s case she has the Sun conjunct the MC (as already noted), Mars is trine the MC from Aries where it is dignified and the MC is sextiled by Jupiter. All of these strengthen the MC, the link between creativity and the MC, suggesting that she will make a career out of her creativity and possibly business expansion. The Mars trine suggests that her career may be closely linked to her personal creativity, may be linked to her hobbies, how she relaxation, or her other interests – which suggests a career related to the leisure market. The fifth also rules her children so possibly her children may indirectly lead to her career or be involved in her career in someway. Jupiter in the eighth may have a slightly negative to potentially very negative effect. The eighth is the House of taxes! So there may be an ‘easy’ approach to tax returns or tax liability may grow quickly. Jupiter needs to be directed and kept under control to ensure that eighth matters do not grow out of proportion.

The MC is also biquintile to the Part of Fortune. I’d actually be careful of this as neither the MC or the Part of Fortune reflect light, so arguably this is not a true Aspect. However the Part of Fortune does lie in Pisces, ruled by Jupiter and as we have seen Jupiter does aspect the MC. The Part of Fortune covers her health as well as her success in life. Jupiter’s rulership from the eighth perhaps suggests again that success will again depend on other people’s money, commercial activity, creativity.