Gemstones versus "stones"

wizzle

Of late, I've been looking into gemstones versus the same type of mineral in a non-clear version. For instance, I have labradorite cut into a sphere and heart. But I just purchased the gemstone version in yellow and red. I was wondering what your experience is with the various types of material. Are gemstones worth the price (assuming I'm not using them for jewelry or collection)?

So far, I think I almost prefer the opaque/common/tumbled verions of a stone/gem when I need to use it for healing, etc. But I can see where a gem quality stone might provide better focus.

Also, do you have any thoughts about whether material from one source might be superior to another? I'm used to getting stones from South or North America but recently there are wonderful mines opening up in Africa. Any experience with stones coming from those mines?

And as a last question... do you find "roughs" more useful than cut stones? I'm giving some thought to investing in roughs but that is an expensive proposition so I don't want to go all out before I understand what is what.

Thanks for you thoughts and help.
avw

KaiMoonshadow

Sorry, Wizzle, just to make sure I've understood - is this a debate on the different states of stones (e.g. rough, polished, cut)?

I tend to prefer tumbled stones for day-to-day use and carrying around but I have a few rough pieces around my house, which I really love. Some stones I will buy to add to my collection, no matter whether polished, tumbled or rough. Some stones like Moss Agate, I prefer to have polished rather than tumbled as you can see all the delicate moss inside, instead of it being a big mess of green!

One of my favourite pieces is a Rose Quartz point which is a combination of both - rough RQ with a shaped and polished point at the top. It is one of the most powerful points I have and I believe it is because it has the raw power of the rough rock and the concentration of the polished shape...

Certain places around the world have reputations for better quality of certain stones, although I don't have any specific information on this - you might have to do some digging (research, that is) ;) I do believe places like Brazil and Uraguay produce some of the best quality Amethyst.

Hope that helps :)

wumpkie

I would have thought though it would be the stones/crystals that you are most drawn too that are the most effective.

On the raw crystals topic, I love them, especially on a matrix. Something about seeing how they have been able to form through something else absolutely draws me in. It shows me that something beautiful and form in the most unlikely of places and the fact they are still connected almost shows a side to them you might not have seen if they were tumbled. But like you have said it can be expensive, I have dioptase on a matrix, it cost a bit, but it looks so at home sitting on it's 'parent' stone. I have a piece of Dioptase on it's own which has been polished which is easier for me to use but looks so much darker than the other. As for being useful for putting on the body for healing can be a bit difficult and they can be more fragile but for meditation I do believe they can show you something completley new.

Ramble over :D

wizzle

Sorry for posing my question in an obscure way. My question is, for healing/metaphysical purposes, do you think rough/natural, polished/tumbled or gemstone quality is the most effective form of a particular stone? Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm usually drawn to all three forms of those stones I like and seem to work well with. So I'm trying to determine which form is most effective when I can only afford one.

Also, any thoughts about whether stones mounted in jewelry versus unset are more effective?

Thanks for your input.

Sophie

This could be a totally personal thing, but I find that cut/hand polished stones work best for me, as well as jewellery. I do use tumble stones, because of the price, but I feel the energy in the hand polished stones to be clearer. Gemstone quality or lesser quality doesn't really affect the healing properties in my (not vast) experience, but it's certainly nice to have a gem pendant or earrings!

So in answer to your question, my view is to go for hand-cut and polished stones, whether they are gem quality or not; and that jewellery works very well, especially if you wear it often and want to build up the energy of the stone in you. For specific shapes you might want to apply to the body or diffuse around a room (wands, merkabas, eggs etc.) then the unmounted ones are more useful. It's difficult to use a mounted wand in directed healing.

Briar Rose

I have some rough cut (raw) rubies. I feel that these rubies still have the same quality as a *gemstone* clear ruby.

I got the rough cut (or natural rubies) from the Howe Caverns in NY. In the gift shop you can buy a bag of sand for $10.00, and take them outside to a man-man river and pan the *stones* from the bag of sand.

I have emerals from there too. I guess these stones never made the jewelers cut.

I think they work just as well.

Although the brillance of the jewelers stones are so dazzling that *that* may have some emotional effect on us.

HearthCricket

wizzle said:
Sorry for posing my question in an obscure way. My question is, for healing/metaphysical purposes, do you think rough/natural, polished/tumbled or gemstone quality is the most effective form of a particular stone? Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm usually drawn to all three forms of those stones I like and seem to work well with. So I'm trying to determine which form is most effective when I can only afford one.

Also, any thoughts about whether stones mounted in jewelry versus unset are more effective?

Thanks for your input.

I think it depends entirely on the situation and what you are using it for. For example, I love the feeling of tumbled stones. I find the smooth feeling in my hands is very comforting and cool and lovely. It always seems to be nice to hold in my palm or close my hands on them, stick them in my pocket, place by my bedside, etc. I also prefer tumbled round stones for pendulums and runes, too, and keep tumbled stones with my tarot decks. For meditation purposes, however, I turn to more translucent stones, crystals and things in their more natural state.

As for jewelry, I am all for gemstones, but I get absolutely nothing out of wearing them, to be honest with you. I have diamonds and rubies and sapphires, citrine, amethyst, garnet, etc. Lovely, pretty, but nothing more happens for me. If I had to choose one, it would be tumbled stones. I seem to feel a lot of power out of them. I've also recently become very attracted to miniature spheres...like oversized marbles of various stones. Love them!

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, for the past month I have been holding tumbled stone or small spheres in my hand for meditation and spell work, so I still stick to that choice. Tumbled all the way, for me, at least!

HearthCricket

HeavensVault said:
I got the rough cut (or natural rubies) from the Howe Caverns in NY. In the gift shop you can buy a bag of sand for $10.00, and take them outside to a man-man river and pan the *stones* from the bag of sand.

Oh, I love that place. We went when I was about 9 years old, and Watkins Glen, too. New York State has such fun places for collecting stones and gems!

wizzle

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

To a large degree you all echoed what I've experienced with my stones. If we can go bottom line here, I think we might agree that for healiing purposes good quality tumbled/cut stones (as opposed to the gem variety) are very effective. And good enough for healing so that there is no need buy the gem quality stones.

HearthCricket

wizzle said:
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

To a large degree you all echoed what I've experienced with my stones. If we can go bottom line here, I think we might agree that for healiing purposes good quality tumbled/cut stones (as opposed to the gem variety) are very effective. And good enough for healing so that there is no need buy the gem quality stones.

Exactly. They are gorgeous when they are all cut and translucent and gleaming, but to me they have become very much man-made at this point, with all the various cuts and facets and mounting, etc. Almost as though too much has been done to them to make them metaphysically worthwhile. Tumbled stones, to me, seems more like what happens when you rub a stone for a long time, or water washes against it and smooths its rough edges and shines it up until is is a glossy matter that you can hold in your hand and play with. I think of when I am walking on a beach or hiking on a trail, looking at the local stones. What usually grabs my attention and makes me want to lean over, pick it up and hold it in my hand or tuck it in my pocket? Those stones that have been smoothed out and seem inviting! Just my thoughts and ramblings!