Nature's Pharmacy Deck

room

I ordered this along with a couple other decks from Chronicle Books. I had been talking about another Chronicle deck in this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1125747

When checking, I realized that this plant deck was in stock at Chapters:

Nature's Pharmacy Deck: History and Uses of 50 Healing Plants
ISBN-10: 0811834468

There are no images from the deck online, but one card is depicted on the box and it is an antique botanical painting --the cards use art from the New York Botanical Garden's collection.

I tried to get this deck ages ago but it was a special order. So now that it's available I bought it. Gorgeous art and information about herbs and other healing plants like Witch Hazel for instance--you can't go wrong.

If you haven't seen this, you might find it a suitable deck for using with other cards or on its own.

53rdspirit

Thank you for posting this--herbs and I go back a long ways! The cards look wonderful as the old-fashioned botanical prints. I did a search and they are evidently available at Walmart, Amazon (that had a picture of the front & back of a card), and other sources. I think I will look around town and try to pick up a set this week!

These cards could be used as oracles if one knows plant lore or attributes.

room

bodhran said:
Thanks so much room for giving us a "heads up" on these cards! I love herbs! Here's a link that shows a few pictures:

Oh thank you for the link, I should have thought to look at Chronicle since I found a few samples of the Wild Weather cards there as well.

I love herbs too! All kinds of plants and I love botanical illustrations. They are harder to do than you think, I gave up interest in my own scientific illustrations as I tended to lose focus and just wanted to swoosh the paint. Real botanical illustrations have to be exact in both shape and colour and showing the leaves and seeds and fruit etc. So I'm just a plain old illustrator, not a botanical illustrator.

The blurb at Amazon mentioned there were photographs in the deck too, so I will be interested to see how they've mixed the botanical paintings with photographs (if any.)

And Chronicle decks are very good quality cardstock and laminate. I thought you could mix them with the Herbal Tarot--they are nicer artwork than on the Herbal anyway.

Lots of scope for use.

room

Yes, I nearly bought that Knowledge card deck too, but I ran out of money. It is a beauty, isn't it? That would go very nicely with the Chronicle deck.

Knowledge Cards are great, I've got 8 decks. I can't find them in Canada so have to order from the States.

I wonder if both these decks would go nicely with the Victorian Flower Oracle? They might go with any healing type of deck as well. The Flower Speaks deck uses flower essences that they make themselves in a kit (very expensive) but you could use a nice herbal card as a clarifying card with that too.

Alta

Thanks to you, I ordered this deck from amazon.ca. I think it might work very well with my loved Victorian Flower oracle. Good thought!

room

Marion said:
Thanks to you, I ordered this deck from amazon.ca. I think it might work very well with my loved Victorian Flower oracle.

Good show Marion--mine has just shipped from Chapters too.

Maybe we could compare notes on how we find it with the VFO? I love that deck too. We are flowery gals I guess!

Alta

Mine just came today... yay!!! I'll post back, not ready right now to explore it.

room

Wow, does the Victorian Flower Oracle ever go well with this.

Top row is the VFO looking very well indeed, but look at it in relation to the Nature's Pharmacy deck--isn't that something? They just look wonderful together. Every deck needs a friend to complement it!

Have to get my magnifying glass out to read the titles on the NP deck. I like that some of the backgrounds have foxing and yellowing on them--the antique touch.

It makes me want to use my VFO cards more and expand from the book while keeping the flavour of Grandville's time.