New Rider Waite Card Back!

Elnor

Following on from Roppo's post in the 'Green Sheaf' thread, about US Games publishing the Pamela Coleman Smith commemorative deck...

I decided to email US Games, and say that I wished it were possible for them to put a nice card back on this deck, because although I love the RWS I've never been keen on the back. (I actually detest that black and blue tartan plaid so badly I can't use the pocket or extra-large versions... :( shudder!!!)... and those blue lilles- well. Bearable at best, but not great. :rolleyes:

I said I hoped that they might try and do something utilising Pamela's own artwork, and that would do justice to the cards themselves... and I was totally gobsmacked to receive a reply from them within 24 hours! :eek:

It seems that the back is going to be a sort of aquamarine, with an image of the Tudor rose from the death card... in the top right and lower left corners are images of Pamela's signature. :grin:

Just thought I'd let everyone know about this- (so now have another deck to add to my wish list. :thumbsup:)

elnor

thorhammer

This is interesting news! I agree with you about the tartan - it is truly heinous (in the same vein, the brown tartan of the 1JJ :rolleyes:).

I don't suppose they sent you a preview?

\m/ Kat

Alta

Thanks for this news. It would be great to see this deck with something on the back that drew us into the cards better than the tartan.

Dean

Elnor said:
although I love the RWS I've never been keen on the back. (I actually detest that black and blue tartan plaid so badly I can't use the pocket or extra-large versions... :( shudder!!!)... and those blue lilles- well. Bearable at best, but not great. :rolleyes:

I have the one's with the blue Lilies backs, but i wasn't to keen on those Tartan plaid backs so never got one.

Someone had posted an old thread about a crackled back RWS one from a 1920 printing, it looks interesting.

I can't wait to see these new one's.

Attachments

• crackled RWS.jpg
    crackled RWS.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 352

thorhammer

Thanks, elnor - I think that's really lovely! I especially like the very retro-feel of the blue. For once, someone has put some thought into this!

\m/ Kat

GeorgiePorgie

That's beautiful. :thumbsup:

Queen of Disks

Very nice! The standard issue tartan back reminds me of some hideous old ties my grandfather had. :eek:

hunter

I don't mind the plaid backs, but do think the new card back is a better fit to the cards.

Quester

Looks GREAT!!!