Natal sky for artwork?

Grigori

I'm having a piece of artwork made, that has space for a custom design. One of the ideas I'm playing with is a sky-scape or star-scape, and wondered if there was some tool which could be used to generate an image of the sky at a place and time (i.e. my natal horizon for example). I need an image file in grayscale I could provide to the artist (for laser engraving).

Can anyone suggest something similar to this?

PathWalker

I'm fairly sure that the astronomy programmes for personal computers could do this for, you feed in the date and the longditude and latitude you are after and it can show you the sky.

Not sure if there's one avaliable on-line though, someone else might know.

Good luck with such a great idea.
pathwalker

Grigori

I'm fairly sure that the astronomy programmes for personal computers could do this for, you feed in the date and the longditude and latitude you are after and it can show you the sky.

Not sure if there's one avaliable on-line though, someone else might know.

Good luck with such a great idea.
pathwalker

Thanks Pathwalker. I do have SolarFire software, I've not seen that feature but I use only a fraction of it's function. Will see if I can find it in there. Many thanks for the idea :)

ravenest

I'm having a piece of artwork made, that has space for a custom design. One of the ideas I'm playing with is a sky-scape or star-scape, and wondered if there was some tool which could be used to generate an image of the sky at a place and time (i.e. my natal horizon for example). I need an image file in grayscale I could provide to the artist (for laser engraving).

Can anyone suggest something similar to this?

I am not sure what you have in mind, but it sounds interesting. Natal Horizon? I am not sure what that is. I am imagining a visual image of the sky, your natal Midheaven at the top and the visual horizon, local in regard to your place of birth?

If you just want a visual of the heavens at the natal time why not just use a segment horoscope picture, all you need is to line up your midheaven with the segment at top and your Asc at east, you could calculate the horizon and black out below that over to the Asc. , planets could be manually entered after looking up position.

Or for a star / sky scape maybe a pic from Australian astronomy and telescope magazine, they publish several times a year a star map for certain latitudes (not sure what they are), one might coincide with your birth month? Some of these are lineal and straight and some have a curved down (in the middle) horizon.
These examples are narrow … I have seen longer ones.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

Or maybe a segment could be used of an astrological map I like the look of this type, ( I imagine it engraved in stainless steel ).

http://img0.etsystatic.com/006/0/6934924/il_fullxfull.360115218_lbgi.jpg?ref=l2

Or finally perhaps something like this:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/skychart ( “ Interactive Sky Chart: Create a custom naked-eye map of the whole sky for any place on Earth, at any time of day or night, for any year between 1600 to 2400. Our Interactive Sky Chart requires Java to work” ).

Grigori

I am not sure what you have in mind, but it sounds interesting. Natal Horizon? I am not sure what that is. I am imagining a visual image of the sky, your natal Midheaven at the top and the visual horizon, local in regard to your place of birth?

Yea, or something similar. Or quite different. There is a place for a 'sky' image, and I thought might sneak in something subtle but personal. I don't have a specific idea in mind, just looking at what might be possible I guess.

If you just want a visual of the heavens at the natal time why not just use a segment horoscope picture, all you need is to line up your midheaven with the segment at top and your Asc at east, you could calculate the horizon and black out below that over to the Asc. , planets could be manually entered after looking up position.

I"m not sure I'm following this idea. Do you mean to get an image of the local sky, and just rotate it to align with my chart?

Or maybe a segment could be used of an astrological map I like the look of this type, ( I imagine it engraved in stainless steel ).

http://img0.etsystatic.com/006/0/6934924/il_fullxfull.360115218_lbgi.jpg?ref=l2

Yeah that is quite a good idea. I'd like without the constellation animal drawings, but that is the general idea I had in mind.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/skychart ( “ Interactive Sky Chart: Create a custom naked-eye map of the whole sky for any place on Earth, at any time of day or night, for any year between 1600 to 2400. Our Interactive Sky Chart requires Java to work” ).

Ooh that looks cool. Downloading java now to try it :)

Thanks R!

ravenest

Yes to your question.

I have a friend that used to paint charts with visual images, the night sky, the sun illuminating half the chart, landscapes, correspondence colours etc. ... there is a thread here somewhere

but you want grayscale so : Here is another idea. You chart, aligned as described above but show below the horizon as well. That is; a circular glyph with the horizon through it. I am not sure of your birth time, but say you were born at midnight, so top of design is a star chart with your MH at top and there is an horizon line through it, so the top of your chart is black with the stars and planets in white (visible in the night) and the bottom is white (day) with the stars and planets (and sun) in black (invisible in the day). Or if you were born at dawn ; sun at Asc and line running vertical through chart with night sky on the left ... get it? (Its okay folks we are in the southern hemisphere ;) ). Urrgh! Wish I could draw it for you , that might make more sense.

Sort of an asto yin and yang with black white counter-change

I drew up some charts on matt black art paper with a silver pen and appropriate colour coloured sign symbols and aspect lines and stuck little cut-out photographs of the planets in natal positions, the outer ring had the constellation patterns with stars as dots with lines joining to make a basic 'real view' shape in silver pen - looked really cool!

I have inspired myself! I am going to work on a grey scale ying-yang style chart.

Good luck with it, like to see the finished product if it isn't ... sanctum sanctorum ;)

Grigori

Thanks heaps Ravenest, you've given me lots of inspiration. I also found this site/program which has been useful. http://stellarium.org

Nothing secret, I've got a piece of sic-fi memorabilia I'm getting a display stand made for. I thought I could supplement it with something that fits the theme, but has meaning that others may not recognise. :)

ravenest

Thanks heaps Ravenest, you've given me lots of inspiration. I also found this site/program which has been useful. http://stellarium.org

:bugeyed: ... ! ... free ! .... snatch! Got it ... thanks heaps G. I have been looking for something like that. :)

zhan.thay

I am using a background in Solar Fire which is a graphic of the ecliptic cutting the horizon at my time of birth, ie my Ascendant, from an astronomy program called Sky Map. I have used the same program to get star charts, which also show the planets, for all the points of an astrology chart. In my case that's about 6 charts and, for example, show things like how close my Sun and Venus are to rho Leo (sort of the lion's elbow) .

The Sky is another more sophisticated program that can probably do it and I've generated the same sort of charts from an old program called Dance of the Planets which is a fascinating prog but you need to take a screenshot and print it from another program like Photoshop.

Thanks for the tip re stellarium I'll check it out too.

All the best in love and light.

zhan.thay

Thanks for the tip re stellarium I'll check it out too.

Unfortunately my old laptop with integrated grahics card and stellarium do not agree. It crashed twice on startup.