Six of Pentacles in Relationship Readings

piledrivefinger

Very recently, I'd been hoping for more romantically with a friend of mine, but the situation did not go as I'd hoped and now we are on tenuous ground. I did a reading regarding our relationship, and wound up with the Six of Pentacles in the Outcome spot. I initially thought that this card was primarily about charity, a thought that makes me feel uncomfortable in terms of this relationship, as I feel it suggests a kind of reluctance.

I was wondering what others thought in regards to having a Six of Pentacles appear as an Outcome in a relationship spread.

Empath111

I think of the 6 of pents sometimes as a give-and-take card. That there will be more balanced feelings if they are out of balance now...

Mellifluous

Yep. Balanced, mutual exchange.

rwcarter

piledrivefinger said:
I was wondering what others thought in regards to having a Six of Pentacles appear as an Outcome in a relationship spread.
As the outcome card, it really depends on the context of the other cards in the reading. It also depends on the deck you used. But generally, I'd say that it represents one person doing more giving and one person doing more taking. That might be "charity." Or it might mean that one person is generally a taker while the other is generally a giver. It could also represent any generally unbalanced relationship in terms of the people involved, what they put into/take out of the relationship, their motivations, etc.

HTH,
Rodney

starrystarrynight

This card can also mean that there is some sort of inequality on the physical plane between the two parties - financial, educational, physical, groundedness, etc. - and that until that is addressed, a real harmony in the relationship may be out of reach.

(Just my opinion.)

Seafra

Using RWS the Six of Pents brings up the possibility of a co-dependent relationship. The scales are balanced but the material reality of the people certainly aren't.

Perhaps that gent (RWS) is being careful rather than generous and that could define one of the partners in the relationship.

In regards to charity, that brings up a desire for one to feel superior to the other. After all it is a 6 yet he's only handing out 4 pentacles. Why not 6?

And why aren't the 6 pents in the sky balanced in number? The people involved may accept this type of balance in the relationship but it isn't really a true balance. Not a bad thing if everyone's happy with their role.

BTW This is not one of my favorite cards. I always want the merchant to put his cloak around one of the beggers. Sky's grey, could be cold.

Nevada

There are people who see relationships as responsibilities, so they're reluctant to enter them for fear of committing to holding up their end. Does that make any sense here? Or is there an imbalance in your incomes that either is uncomfortable about? I've even heard men sometimes say they "can't afford" a girlfriend (which stuns me) or can't afford to get married, so is it possible there's some attitude like that -- or even an issue with free time or distance to drive? Is there a cyclical element involved, a busy time at work right now for one of you? Trouble arranging time together? Is one more extroverted than the other, so there's a sense of an imbalance of energy exchanged?

Do you work together and could that be a concern?

It nearly always seems to me that a problem related to 6 of Pentacles should be solvable, because it's usually of a practical nature. But it requires both parties to want things to work, and both sharing in the resolution or adjustment needed, as well as some honesty and communication so both are aware of what's needed.

Maybe it's time to sit down and have a talk.

Bronwyn1

Seafra said:
And why aren't the 6 pents in the sky balanced in number? The people involved may accept this type of balance in the relationship but it isn't really a true balance. Not a bad thing if everyone's happy with their role..

I really like how you put this. Are they REALLY?? happy with their role? One's always giving and one's always taking and I DON'T think it's balanced.

piledrivefinger

More information about the reading

Nevada said:
There are people who see relationships as responsibilities, so they're reluctant to enter them for fear of committing to holding up their end. Does that make any sense here? Or is there an imbalance in your incomes that either is uncomfortable about? I've even heard men sometimes say they "can't afford" a girlfriend (which stuns me) or can't afford to get married, so is it possible there's some attitude like that -- or even an issue with free time or distance to drive? Is there a cyclical element involved, a busy time at work right now for one of you? Trouble arranging time together? Is one more extroverted than the other, so there's a sense of an imbalance of energy exchanged?

Actually, you're not very far off. If we were to get together, it would be a long-distance relationship. Furthermore, he has much anxiety toward relationships in general, and told me that he did not want to be involved with anyone (in this event, me) since he doubted he could give his 100%.

Seafra

piledrivefinger said:
he doubted he could give his 100%.

That's the Six of Pentacles right there. :)