Death crossing 6 of Cups

wheelie

Okay, friends.

I read the rules and I'm going to try to post correctly.

1. My question is about the Death card crossing the Six of Cups. Both are reversed. The Six of Cups is the first/center card of a Celtic Cross.

2. I intuit this to mean childlike innocence is being resisted, that something needs to be released to experience both the transformation and the purity and gratitude of the Six of Cups.

3. I'll respond to others' responses as required.

rwcarter

Hi wheelie,

There are many iterations of the Celtic Cross. (I personally have at least 30 of them in my spreads database.) What are the first two positions in the version you used?

Thirteen

Exactly how do you read the Death card as "reversed" if it's crossing the 6/Cups? Crossing usually means "sideways" and thus, is neither upright nor reversed.

And can you tell us what that first position means in your Celtic Cross? What it stands for? There are a lot of different CC's and they don't all share the same meaning for that first/center card.

As for the 6/Cups, keep in mind that it can mean a "known comfort." Meaning something familiar that makes you feel comfortable and safe. If it's reversed it could mean either that the person doesn't feel comfortable, safe or that they're in a familiar situation, or, Alternately, that they're trying to go out of their comfort zone, as uncomfortable as that makes them feel. Thus, the Death card could be preventing them from this attempt to be adventurous...or maybe leave the past behind.

Ruby Jewel

Okay, friends.

I read the rules and I'm going to try to post correctly.

1. My question is about the Death card crossing the Six of Cups. Both are reversed. The Six of Cups is the first/center card of a Celtic Cross.

2. I intuit this to mean childlike innocence is being resisted, that something needs to be released to experience both the transformation and the purity and gratitude of the Six of Cups.

3. I'll respond to others' responses as required.

Hi Wheelie...welcome. I agree with Thirteen here. The crossing card isn't Rx. The 6 of Cups Rx means for me that the "cup of friendship" is empty since it is upsidedown. If it isn't about friendship, then it just says the past is history...look to the future.. The Death card makes it final....unless you want to call it "transformation." That would depend on the final card.

Thirteen

Crossing = Keeping that from happening?

The Death card makes it final....unless you want to call it "transformation." That would depend on the final card.
But isn't the crossing card usually what "blocks" something from going forward? If this is history, and should be history...Death (someone's literal death or their transformation) is keeping that from happening? :confused:

jnett

6 of cups: Ending of friendships/family relations, basically let down, disappointed. Death card: Unable to move on from it... holding on to a negative situation, not able to accept the situation.

wheelie

Answering your questions

I am using Joan Bunning's Celtic Cross, but I think she allows for tweaking and personalizing. I have been reading the crossing card as reversed when the top faces right. I would be happy to know definitively NOT to read reversals sideways, but I saw it done on some website somewhere.

http://learntarot.com/ccross.htm

The two center cards represent the core situation, either on collision course or an influence.

The last two cards are Six of Swords (Guidance) and Five of Cups (Outcome).
Edit: Sorry about not giving the interpretation here!
When I read this spread, I see the Six of Cups echoing the Death card, calling forth that change of mind or moving onward. It is guiding the whole reading. The Five of Cups shows this sad journey with the three spilled cups and comfort in family, friends, or fellowship of the other two upright cups.

This was just a daily reading with no specific question, so I believe the scope will be everyday (not epic proportions).

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Hi wheelie,

At no point in UTC or YR can you just mention cards without providing your interpretations of them. Please edit your post to either provide your interpretations or remove those cards.

wheelie

Still trying to follow the rules...

I am going to try to provide the required response to the interpretations given so far.

I agree that the Six of Cups might also mean friendship, history, known comfort, and any other things mentioned today. When I read this complete spread, though, I have reason to believe the reversal does not necessarily indicate complete loss of the positive energy or significance in the card. I intuited a restriction of the energy or significance. I could be wrong.

I hope this is the kind of response required by the rules.

Ruby Jewel

But isn't the crossing card usually what "blocks" something from going forward? If this is history, and should be history...Death (someone's literal death or their transformation) is keeping that from happening? :confused:

I see the crossing card as an obstacle, for better or worse, to be dealt with...not a total irreversible block. There are always ways to circumvent a block in your path....you can go over it or around it or transcend it. I see it as an obstacle that requires a choice: death or transformation. In other words the choice is whether to die and end all possibilities; or change, and in changing, perhaps transform the situation. For me the Death card is as much about a new beginning as it is about an ending....either way, the core meaning is "change."