The 3 of Swords as Opportunity

Rachx

I don't automatically see it as a third person either though I guess it can show that. I think if there is a third person in a relationship then the relationship itself has failed and that's where the learning will be so that's the area of focus. My Anthony Louis Beyond the Tarot arrived today so I'm hoping I will understand some more depth now to the cards- thanks for the recommendation by the way. :) x[emoji1360]

violetdaisy

I've been thinking this through today. I wonder if the card detects the mental suffering rather than the original pain? It reminds me of the Buddhist sutra of the two arrows. The first arrow thrown represents the actual hurt/pain itself, the actual "thing" that happened that caused us the pain- ie the break up or the physical wound or as the sutra might say the "unavoidable pain that life just brings us". What happens that brings the initial hurt. The next arrow represents the suffering that we then load upon ourselves - i.e. "Why has this happened? Oh woe is me, if I hadn't done this I'm so clumsy blah blah" so the pain is worsened by that second arrow of suffering that we add fuel to the fire as it were-perhaps continuing even when the initial pain is long gone.
Some western writers refer to a third arrow - which is the arrow that affects and pains our core selves- self esteem and so on. Three arrows to represent the three swords through the heart?
So maybe it's the mental suffering the card alludes to ...that which follows the original pain so it doesn't matter if it's physical (pents) or emotional (cups) ? It also would explain why the 3 can represent a minor situation or full on heart break- it's all the internal suffering we are piling on top...

Thanks for this. I got this card in a position that gave me a WTF moment. This helps augment and expand on what I was thinking on it.

violetdaisy

This is one of my favorite cards to pick apart because it provides such a dramatic diversity of impressions. Rather than ask the usual questions, I'm going to offer a few answers.

In an affirmational culture obsessed with the mantra "It's all good," it's too easy to see this card as simply meaning "Oh, you're healing." It does in fact suggest an old-fashioned blood-letting or leeching to let out the "evil spirits." But I think it's more complex than that.

Right off the top, what's a card in the unemotional suit of Swords doing so blatantly portraying upheavals of the heart, the usual province of Cups? Furthermore, why does it show such a dire state of affairs when the numeration of the card (Three) typically expresses growth, progress and opportunity? Finally, why are there four elemental emblems in a card intended to show "three-ness?"

At least part of the answer lies in the three swords as a curb on runaway emotions. They pierce the heart like push-pins holding a butterfly specimen to a mounting board. The image also reminds me of a bounty hunter relentlessly pursuing a fugitive criminal. Then there is the logical assumption of examining one's feelings under a microscope. (Never mind that the RWS version also looks like a Mr. Coffee machine on "drip.") The idea is that the rational mind holds sway over the vagaries of feeling. The Thoth title of "Sorrow" seems to convey the understanding that the heart doesn't much like to be told by the mind what it can and can't do.

In the system of Elemental Dignities, Air and Water are considered neutral and mutually supportive; I like to call them "complementary opposites." One provides what the other lacks. In this case, there is an overabundance of Air to dominate and suppress the tendency of Water to flow wherever it wants, without regard for boundaries. This is why I often see the 3 of Swords as suggesting a minor and temporary irritation rather than a total collapse of personal happiness. The three swords aren't dismembering the heart, they're like sutures holding it together through force of Will until it can mend itself! See, it's "all good" after all. :)

I'm in agreement about the overwhelming positivity expected from us. Some things are just not nice and it's ok. I'm on my phone so I'll get back later to edit

jenster

The idea of "three people involved" for any of the Three cards is another convention I'm leery of since it seems too prescriptive. I usually think of a two-person relationship as holding three entities: the two individuals and the relationship itself (the "middle ground" and sometimes "battle-ground" between them), which requires a certain type of care-and-feeding to thrive. This is why I created my "Feeding the Elephant" spread, which is based on the premise that a failing relationship is like the invisible elephant in a room: everyone else knows it's there but nobody wants to mention it, so the clueless couple goes right on happily feeding it whatever gave it indigestion in the first place. (Come to think of it, "emotional indigestion" might be a good way to think of the 3 of Swords if we must yield to the "heart" imagery.) I like this concept much better in most cases than the stressful menage a trois scenario.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

jenster

I love this thread. I love the insights the tone- I can't remember ever responding so strongly to a thread in here.

I would like to share my insights (which I will do later) but didn't want to postpone and then perhaps forget. If not my insights (because I procrastinate) I wanted to express my appreciation.