A New Marseilles Person Intro...

jmd

A few days too late for me to have seen it in person...

Next Tarot Café, maybe... or the 16th October :)

The Conver, like the Dodal, Hadar, Camoin and but few others, reflects well the Ür-Tarot - Welcome to the world of the Marseille, TemperanceAngel :)

Anna

Woohoo! :D :D :D :D

Congratulations on your new deck TA!

Rusty Neon

jmd said:

The Conver, like the Dodal, Hadar, Camoin and but few others, reflects well the Ür-Tarot

As regards commonly-used Marseilles versions, I would include among those few others the Marteau/Grimaud and its close clone, the Fournier.

TemperanceAngel

jmd said:

The Conver, like the Dodal, Hadar, Camoin and but few others, reflects well the Ür-Tarot - Welcome to the world of the Marseille, TemperanceAngel :)
Thanks jmd, my only fear of showing you my new Marseilles is being overwhelmed with info!

But I will bring it anyways :D

Moongold

Congratulations TA on your first Marseilles.

I have a Conver (Lo Scarabeo) which I purchased in Borders, Carlton last year. I notice they frequently have one, and faithfully replace the deck each time it is required, so some people in Melbourne must be buying them. I notice because I go to Readings and to Borders quite a lot.

I found the Lo Scarabeo Conver difficult to get enthused about at first and there were not the beginners' groups at Aeclectic that there are now so I put it away except for the occasional look. Then discussion commenced here again and I discovered the Fournier, which I love. It's a cheerful deck and speaks a lot to me. There is something about the vibrancy that appeals. I call it my Kitchen Marseilles .

Earlier this year I purchased a Hadar which I haven't really done much with, although it is beautiful. I was interested to see Rusty Neon's comments about the Hadar being a compilation deck. Does that mean it 's almost a clone of the originals? I guess variations are par for the course i n all sorts of Tarot so that need not dampen my interest.

I intend to purchase Heron Conver in a few months because that is supposed to be a better production. I think one card was actually missing in the origiinal Lo Scarabeo deck

I am not reading with any one of the Marseilles as present, just using them for study through books like Meditations on the Tarot and others by Gad and Nichols which deal with the symbolism and other aspects. There is quite a lot on the internet as well. I'm fortunate in being able to read French fairly well and have ordered a few books from overseas. Marion recommended one, which Diana had suggested and I have found that good.

Part of the fun of this for me has been rediscovery of the French language. I loved it at school but we didn't have teachers who could speak it very well. I haven't really forgotten much and there is something exotic about learning in a different language. It is actually very stimulating because sound, understanding and visualization is entirely different.

I know eventually I will read with the Marseilles once more. Reading is the main purpose and pleasure of the Tarot for me, and I'm sure that one day I'll want to do that again. At the moment it simply feels enough to study.

Good luck with your Conver. I am sure there will be continued explosions of laughter as you discover new things and trip over hidden boundaries. I still retain a strong interest in other types of Tarot. The Ancient Egyptian is my current reading deck, although I am enjoying the Buddha Tarot which I got a few weeks ago, also from Borders. They are all quite different.

My best wishes ~

Moongold

Diana

Moongold said:
I was interested to see Rusty Neon's comments about the Hadar being a compilation deck.

Not a compilation deck. Only Hadar can explain what his deck is based on. All the rest is just assumption and suppositions. But it's not a compilation deck. Most definitely not. (He has spoken to me frequently about his deck - but I prefer NOT to summarise his words in case I say something he did not intend which would be most regrettable and unfair.)

But it is most definitely not a little bit of this, and a little bit of that.

Maybe I will ask Kris Hadar one day if he would find the time to explain to you all a bit more. Although he has broached the subject somewhat, I seem to recall, in one of his e-mails that I translated and put up on the boards here. There is a thread somewhere called "Kris Hadar's Véritable Tarot de Marseille - what is it true to", or something like that. There are plenty of clues there if my memory serves me well. It's a very long post (English and French version) and it is MOST interesting.

Not a compilation deck.

fyreflye

Speaking of French texts, I wonder if anyone here has read Jodorowsky's recent La voie du tarot http://makeashorterlink.com/?C34C23749
My faded French would never survive over 500 pp of text (I just do a bit of Rimbaud) and I'm sure an eventual English translation is unlikely, but I'm curious as to what the co-designer of the Camoin has to say.

Moongold

Diana said:
Not a compilation deck.
I accidentally misquoted RustyNeon. He actually said "compendium deck" not compilation deck. That may make a difference to his comments about the Hadar.

I'm aware that TA does not want this to be a discussion of the merits of any deck and this is another thread about some of these differences that people might like to refer to : http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21791

Just one comment to TA, the more I know about the Marseilles the more affectionate I feel towards the Conver. It's simpliciity is beautiful, enhanced by the history that it reflects. I hope your enjoyment of your Conver continues.

Diana

fyreflye said:
Speaking of French texts, I wonder if anyone here has read Jodorowsky's recent La voie du tarot http://makeashorterlink.com/?C34C23749
My faded French would never survive over 500 pp of text (I just do a bit of Rimbaud) and I'm sure an eventual English translation is unlikely, but I'm curious as to what the co-designer of the Camoin has to say.

I am trying to read it.... but keep on falling asleep before I reach the end of a chapter.

Moonbow

TemperanceAngel said:

Before this thread turns into a big discussion about what Marseilles you should buy you must know a few things:

Firstly, I like both the Grimaud and the Hadar and other styles.

Secondly no-one will EVER tell me what deck to buy and influence me in that manner.

And thirdly, let me enjoy my deck and my happy little thread. Please don't turn it into an arena for your opinion on what Marseilles you should/shouldn't have, the best Marseilles etc.

Many thanks TA :)

Okay Okay.... are you done?

Get a Hadar!!! :D

and....... a Grimaud :p

and....... I would love to have the Conver too! Heck! get them all! :D

Nice one TA.... you won't regret this move ........