haindl

Luna's Crone

what is the best book to go with haindl? I want to use this deck to start learning symbolism and it seems to have quite a bit. ;-)

Nemia

I would say Rachel Pollack's book that she wrote in cooperation with Haindl himself. I don't know whether another book exists?

I also have Pollack's book about the Tree of Life, based on a Haindl painting, but that was a disappointment, both the poster of Haindl's Tree and the book. But the Haindl tarot book is good.

There are some video clips on Youtube, showing Haindl at work and explaining his beliefs and how his paintings evolve. Quite interesting, too. There's a strong element of randomness in his work, he lets the materials speak and reacts to them. Much of his symbolism is personal.

Ace of Stars

I have the Haindl Tarot Major Arcana by Rachel Pollack and it is wonderful. The Minor Arcana book is very high on my wish list; I wish there was a Kindle version -- I'd buy it right now if there was.

bradford

His work is awful, and Pollock's otherwise good work sinks to his level here.
The deck is also absolutely clueless about the Yijing (I Ching)

Pipistrelle

I used the Haindl a lot a few years back and compiled a list of resources here:
https://haindlicious.wordpress.com/resources/

The separate Major and Minor Arcana books go into a lot more depth but I found the Reader's Handbook was the one I turned to most. You can still find copies of it if you look hard enough. I found mine on page 10 of Google search results and paid about £9 for it!

Michellehihi

His work is awful, and Pollock's otherwise good work sinks to his level here.
The deck is also absolutely clueless about the Yijing (I Ching)
Your affirmation that his work is awful is your opinion on it. I find it fascinating, beautiful, profound and moving. His deck gives me clear and poignant readings.

bradford

Your affirmation that his work is awful is your opinion on it. I find it fascinating, beautiful, profound and moving. His deck gives me clear and poignant readings.

I simply have higher standards and have studied more of what's available. There is so much material out there that's better. But the choice to be misguided is all yours.
His astrology isn't much better either.
I was serious about the Book of Changes too. Anybody with the most rudimentary understanding of the book should be able to see how random his overall reasoning is.

gregory

I simply have higher standards. There is so much material out there that's better.
But the choice to be misguided is all yours.
Different standards are not necessarily higher.

I have a spare copy of the Reader's Handbook if you want to "discuss", Luna's Crone. :D

Michellehihi

I simply have higher standards. There is so much material out there that's better. But the choice to be misguided is all yours.
His astrology isn't much better either.
I was serious about the Book of Changes too. Anybody with the most rudimentary understanding of the book should be able to see how random his overall reasoning is.

There is a French saying: "be careful as your head may not pass the door".
Why do you need to be so condescendent? I don't understand how I can be misguided by finding meanings to his deck, what did you mean? That what I saw in the card is not real? That I shouldn't find meaning? That if I find meaning in Haindl's cards it means I have low standards? Low standards of what, of what I have experienced in life? I am trying to figure out what you meant and I can't.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Folks are entitled to their opinions. For those who hold different opinions on the same thing, please agree to disagree. No posts have been removed from this thread yet, but continued personally directed comments will cause this thread to be pruned.

From the Forum Rules:

Stay On-Topic

Avoid meta-discussion, which is discussing the discussion you're having. Instead of talking about the thread or post itself while you're posting in it, stick to the original topic. Any concerns about our policies, rules or guidelines should be sent privately to a moderator or to administration for handling.