New to Forum

Moon Light Pie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member from California :) I'm so happy to be a part of this awesome community. Id love to hear any recommendations regarding the tarot initiation process, anything pertaining to The Fools journey :)

Looking forward to reading your comments ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic, Moon Light Pie!

Are you asking for books and/or websites that discuss the Fool's Journey? Or are you looking more for information on how to study the tarot/begin your journey with the tarot?

rwcarter, Moderator of Tarot Books & Media

Moon Light Pie

Thank you for your response :) I'm looking for books please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOLMES

you know ,,

the fools journey isn't unique that you need a book to learn it. and it is excellent way to learn the major arcana.

you simply make story with the fool going from the magican, to the high priestress etc.
you could even with the other cards make up their own journey like the devil's journey.
hmm I used to have a thread on that from 2000 but can't find it.
but yes you can make up a journey with any of the 22 major arcana and have it going through learning as it goes.

at the end of the tarot reversals book by mary k greer, she has the cards revesed and does it like a femine approach to the fools journey.

the early psychic tarot by Craig Junjulas has like two pages on the fools journey and that is where I first learned it. (it describe briefly the aquarian tarot and is illustrated with it).

Herodotus

The best book about the "Fool's Journey" that I'm aware of is Tarot and the Journey of the Hero by Hajo Banzhaf.

This book details the progression of the Major Arcana through the lenses of mythology and psychology. If you like Jung and Campbell, you'll like this book. It's also illustrated with lots of pictures of examples from mythology. I don't think you could do any better than this book if the Fool's Journey is your primary interest.

ihcoyc

Two books that prominently feature the Fool's Journey metaphor that I'd recommend are Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock, the book about the Rider Waite Smith system and deck. It may be a bit tough sledding for a novice, but it really isn't that forbidding. It is a book that will repay multiple readings.

The other is Tarot Triumphs by Cherry Gilchrist, which uses the Marseille majors and as such is compatible with any esoteric system you choose to take up. A good introduction to the parallel Francophone style of majors only reading.

Herodotus

Two books that prominently feature the Fool's Journey metaphor that I'd recommend are Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock, the book about the Rider Waite Smith system and deck. It may be a bit tough sledding for a novice, but it really isn't that forbidding. It is a book that will repay multiple readings.

The other is Tarot Triumphs by Cherry Gilchrist, which uses the Marseille majors and as such is compatible with any esoteric system you choose to take up. A good introduction to the parallel Francophone style of majors only reading.

I totally agree about Pollack's book. Highly recommended.

The one by Gilchrist doesn't really focus on the "Fool's Journey", but it does show an interesting perspective on the progression of the Major Arcana that's worth considering all the same.

bradford

For me the Fool's journey is just that. It's trying to make too much of the sequence of cards that are meant to be shuffled. An adept reader can make a coherent story out of any sequence into which the cards fall. There is some order remaining in the Trump numbers. The signs of the zodiac to which trumps can be attributed appear to still be in sequence, even if not in succession. But I think it's just as instructive to learn to tell stories from other sequences, and to watch authors take on the Fool's Journey as an example of this.