Best crystal reference book?

Padma

Yes, the Cassandra Eason book is complete and to the point - one short info packed page per crystal! Thick as a small brick, but portable as well.

Thanks for reminding me of it, Danieljuk! I had since moved to the Book of Stones, as it seems so complete, but in a different way.

I think it is good to have more than one reference book/opinion. You learn more that way! :)

danieljuk

I will look at both books Lotus, I will have to add all the suggestions in the thread to my list :thumbsup:

Hope you find a great reference book stone :)

Clovergirl

I have the Illustrated Directory of Healing Crystals by Cassandra Eason.

Has 150 crystals and gemstones. Talks about mythology and history, divinitory significance, uses at home and work, uses for children, animals, protective functions, psychic properties, environmental work, and how to recharge. It also shows properties, color values, and symbolic associations (zodiac sign, planet, element, candle color, chakra, herbs, insence, oil, flower, and other associated crystals. Has 160 pages. Photos of each.

This was recommended to me and I love it. I would say it is at least taking a look at. Hope you find what you are looking for!

ETA: I think this is different than the other discussed here. It is about 9 inches by 11 inches. And 160 pages.

Tanga

My first crystal reference (20 years old) which I still use today: 'Healing with Gemstones and Crystals' by Diane Stein.

Next: 'Love is in the Earth - a kaleidoscope of crystals' by Melody. Melody is fat, heavy, richly detailed and there are I think, 5 books in total. I only have the 1st one (20 years ago no self-respecting crystal healer would be without Melody on their shelf).

Sadly neither of these has pictures/photographs (Stein just lists metaphysical properties of a selection of 200 stones together with discussion on auras, charging and crystal treatment - what I would think of as basics for quick reference of well known stones) - they are perhaps before Cassandra Eason's time...
Who btw sounds really good - will have to check that one out "complete, to-the-point, packed with detail and portable" - hmm.

The Kiwi

I recently purchased the Encyclopedia of Crystals, Revised and Expanded by Judy Hall
I had looked at a few others that the book store I was in offered and what I liked about this one was that it was organized by color, as opposed to alphabetical. It's prompted a whole new study for me, so I'm foreseeing a lot of use out of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Crystals-Revised-Expanded-Judy/dp/1592335829

Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread, there are a lot of great resources.

linnie

hello stone-lotus, danieljuk, lovely lotus and all you other wonderful friends of crystals :)

I have been collecting crystal guidebooks for just about as long as I've been collecting crystals themselves, because I love understanding all that i can about them, and now, as they keep discovering more and more 'new' crystals, there's no way i can stop!!! :) I'm embarrassed thinking about how many crystals and books I have living with me, and Native American style flutes, too, but in my defence I'd note that I don't drink, smoke, buy expensive clothes or perfumes etc :) :)

Truly, people have mentioned some wonderful books... first up, i'd make a comment about Melody's Love is in the Earth. I was a huge fan of Melody's when her paperback, text only, Love is in the Earth came out. Mine is well-thumbed, and I owe Melody thanks for my initial understanding of some stones. Sadly, I was very keen on the idea of a Melody book that included her text and a whole bunch of coloured photos as well. My enthusiasm was so apparent that my beautiful daughter bought it for me, at huge expense, and I tried so hard but couldn't mask my disappointment. Compared to Judy Hall and Cassandra Eason's photos, Melody's are, IMHO, absolutely lacklustre, and not useful in identifying the crystals! I am angry about that. It is a huge, expensive book, and very little effort went into sourcing good photos, and to make matters worse, Melody has chosen to use different coloured pastel as well as black and white backgrounds against which to mount the photos, which makes the whole experience really unpleasant! I haven't opened that book since the first week I've had it, when I tried really hard to overlook its faults..it's just a really ugly book!

Poles apart from melody's effort is a truly brilliant little book by Michael Gienger, titled "Healing crystals, the A-Z guide to 555 gemstones". It is only a little larger than a LWB from your tarot decks, as close to pocket-sized as possible, but has clear photos of 555 gemstones (seriously!!!) and a few keywords for SP spiritual, S soul, or subconscious, M, mind or mental and B, body, or physical, aspects. he explains these in the book. For such a compact, go to, alphabetically-arranged little book this one is an absolute star! I've bought two copies as it is also inexpensive!

You can't go past Judy Hall for more sturdy books. I've bought Crystal Bibles 1 & 2, then another of hers titled "New Crystals" which was a stop gap, but I have Crystal Bible 3 in the mail as we speak. I also have her "Crystal Prescriptions" (just got the updated volume 2). This is an amazingly useful resource... I don't always refer to it, as i like to use intuitive process when feeling out the right crystal to gift someone in need, but obviously its well-used enough to warrant buying the updated version. I would love her new Encyclopaedia of crystals, and her
power crystals, but that would just be silly, as all of that info would be in the other books... :-O

After years of not buying Cassandra Eason's encyclopaedia, just because i had so many books already, I found her "The New Crystal Bible" (I thought that was a bit cheeky...:)), and it is also great... She does offer a lot of info re each crystal , including affirmations, and candle colour/scent associations, etc... plus, it's organised by colour, which makes it a great cross-reference text to the alphabetical ones :)

I have others hiding in the bookshelf which are cool, but these ones are the most useful as general reference books.

Best wishes with your search, stone-lotus. please do bear in mind what i said about melody's latest effort "Love is in the Earth - The Last Testament"!!!! I don't mean to belittle her efforts after enjoying her original book for so many years, but you could buy most of the other books I've mentioned as a bundle for the cost of that one!!!

linnie

Arrgghh!!!

Eek!! This wasn't meant to be an empowering thread, or not for me, anyway... so what am i doing now? Googling The Book of Stones, again... I've left it so many times, because i have so many books, but in my defence, again, I do read them all, often!!!:)