Druidcraft Study Group - Princess of Swords

jota23

There are plenty of hawks in Utah and they always seem to come around when you need someone to watch over you, but a hawk is also a predatory bird. The princess seems to be unsteadily unwrapping her sword. perhaps she is accepting her true calling as a future leader of her people and believes she must be as familiar with a sword as she is with herbs. She seems to be aware of her delicacy and wishes to strengthen herself. She has returned to her herbs to unwrap her sword for the first time because it is where she feels most secluded. I suspect she is preparing to lead by any means necessary, even if it includes the sword she'd rather not use.

Sophie

I am new to the Druidcraft, so I'm starting here, like a good new student :)

And I'm also starting here because I drew the Princess of Swords in a reading, and though I was beguiled by her, I had no idea how to interpret her there (in the position of finances!)

I've been reading through the thread - many good thoughts. I like Jota's post just above mine - the princess who is learning her own strength, who is starting with the tools of her future chieftainship (is that a word?). I think, like others, that she is unwrapping, but I imagine that in some readings, she might be wrapping the sword. Perhaps that is how I should see her in the a/m reading? She wraps what is precious (back in those days, swords were worth king's ransoms - no-one would have left them lying about in a field, as some have suggested, unless they died with it) - and she cares for her thoughts as she does for her belongings - passionately but lightly.

I too was drawn to the spring flowers - snowdrops, primrose and hawthorn (may blossom), which flower respectively in February, March and April/May. The Princess is winter going into spring, as the days start to warm (much as is happening now in the Northern hemisphere). Renewal - yes. It is emphasized in the background by the pale spring sky, sunlight colouring the palest primrose yellow soft clouds, a chill in the air even though it is getting balmier - she still wears a cloak.

The hawk, I think can be a reminder that predators abound especially around newlings. When we have new thoughts, new imaginations, new projects, we must protect them from predators. But the hawk is also the strong masculine principle, focussed and goal-oriented, and for all her feminine delicacy, this young lady has a steel core and masculine single-mindedness - all wrapped gently in this graceful blue-eyed exterior.

She is wearing some kind of jewelled panel on her front, which could almost be a breastplate, except it is too short to cover the vital organs - another reminder that she is not yet well protected; but also, that she is free of her movements, and trusting of nature and of her own mind.

Finally, her bare feet on the rocks and moss - looking at them, I feel my feet yearning for the feel of rock and moss...soon....

irisa

I recently read something about the hawk in Celtic and Druid tradition that seems to me to fit this card...

"Celtic oral tradition lists the oldest animal as the hawk of Achill. As with other birds, the hawk is a messenger between the Otherworlds and this world. However, it is of greater skill and strength than other birds. It symbolizes clear-sightedness and far-memory. If you hear a hawk cry during a journey, be alert to upcoming situations that need boldness and decisiveness to keep from being thrown off balance."
"By Oak, Ash, & Thorn" by D.J. Conway

irisa

Sophie

Good one, Irisa. Upcoming situations requiring boldness and decisiveness - I like that (she says, trembling in her bare feet) :)

WalesWoman

Am looking for symbolism for flowers and have found a few...not quite what I want yet

...but I like the thought of "blossoming into womanhood" or "They can also show a girl who is a "late-bloomer" or one who hasn't shown her true aptitudes or abilities by having a blossom that hasn't opened up completely yet." from this link Blossoms showing the beauty and innocence of youth and the fleeting quality of it.

These all sort of are good thoughts for the Princesses of the Courts as well as the Princess of Swords.
http://www.three-musketeers.net/mike/flowers.html

These links looks pretty good for one word descriptions of all flowers and plants.
http://www.minogue.com/druidstone/vow/flowers.html
http://www.weddingbokay.com/symbol.html
http://www.romancestuck.com/ideas/flowersymbolism.htm

Snowdrops are hope
Primroses early youth
White rosebuds girlhood
Are those forget me not's? remembrance, true love
or violets...purple(blue) one's are modesty,faithfulness, simplicity yellow are happiness
It sort of looks like thyme, but I can't tell activity
buttercups are richness
Larkspur is lightness, laughter, open heart

computer is being a pain so I"ll post before I lose this again.

bryony_macgreine

Wrapping or unwrapping?

In looking at this card, I see her more as wrapping the sword with cloth, almost as though she's trying to distance herself from it, which would fit with the association with aloofness.

Also, I noticed that, while her cloak is whipped by the wind, her dress is untouched. To me, this would seem to indicate that the world around her can act on her surface, but she herself remains unaffected (again, aloofness and distance from the world).

Bright Blessings,

Bryony

Laurelin

Bryony,

I really like your interpretation of her untossed dress. I think you're right about that. If you look at the design of it, it's wrapped very carefully. It doesn't look like she can take too many broad steps because the fabric seems a little close around her ankles.

When I noticed the wrapping, all I could think of was peace tying a sword. The thing is, she has no sheath. During festival times, all blades would be peace tied with ribbon or whatnot. This would keep people from drawing weapons suddenly. If you wanted to draw your sword, you would have to untie the knot, then draw. By that time, someone would be able to stop you, or you could have the chance to remember why you ought not start fights in public. She's winding her sword, but she doesn't have the sheath. So, she's not thinking of fighting or of not fighting. It almost seems to me like she's just fidgeting with the cord/ribbon and the blade. She doesn't look especially reflective to me, and she doesn't seem intent on what she's doing. I feel like she's waiting for something to happen.

She stands in the wind, the weather just beginning to warm (as evidenced by the flowers around her), fiddling with her sword of office, not yet ready or interested in making a move. Perhaps she untied and unsheathed her sword just to have a look at it. Perhaps she doesn't feel comfortable openly bearing her sword around others. The flowers to me seem to underscore her youth. It's a very "pretty" card, but the Princess herself doesn't really feel as weighty as the others. Our Wand Princess is striding boldly, our Cup Princess is pondering/meditating deeply, and our little Pentacle Princess looks more than intent on her Pentacle. This one is unlike the others. She looks distracted. She seems to me like she's dainty, delicate, and a little less focused than the others. The art reminds me more of the pre Raphaelite artwork than any of the others. I just expect her to be in an old painting in a museum... except that the medium seems a little off.

What else strikes me about this card is how lovely the day is. I love the way the light has given the clouds a sunny yellow tint. Perhaps the day is just too beautiful and tepid for heavy pondering. Perhaps our Princess is just out taking a break from everything. Maybe she wants a moment to suspend thought rather than always being bound to make decisions and think things through.

--Laurelin

KaiMoonshadow

I've often thought that the way she is looking at the sword represents the fact that she's not quite sure how to use it yet... She looks uncertain or unsure of how to wield it.

Arania

Yes, my first thought was that she has no real idea what to do with the sword. But on second look... maybe she is working on a spell with it. Her dress doesn't look torn or ragged ot me, more like this being an intentional design. Probably ceremonial?

MissCW

I am resurrecting this thread because I am new to the deck - I really like this Princess.

After looking through the other theads and studying the card the ribbon round the sword really struck me. Could it be "ties" in some way?

She only has to yank that piece of ribbon and the tie is cut. She looks like she is debating it and playing with that ribbon - should I shouldn't I?

Am I making any sense here - I know what I am trying to say but its very early! I often get princess of swords (or the equivalent in other decks) with Ace of Swords so this cutting would make sense to me.

At least the Druidcraft princess is giving it some serious contemplation although I eventually feel (given her youth) she will eventually get bored with her own thoughts and just give that ribbon a big hard tug!