Druidcraft Study Group - Princess of Swords

tarot4fun

Having just acquired this deck, I’m glad to see these study threads resurrected. :)

What I notice is the stiff prickly brambles behind her and the soft foliage in front of her. Her billowy cape and hair with the bright open sky makes me think of imagination, opportunity, ideas, thoughts and daydreams. And yet her lower skirt is almost bound tight - so as to impede her steps. And speaking of steps, she is sort of balancing on two stones; a rather precarious path to be walking while examining a sword!

The scene reminds me of these words:
“...your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains, while all the Company is true.”
~Lady Galadriel _The Fellowship of the Ring

One aspect of the Princess of Swords is about learning. Since education is a sort of personal quest; it makes me think of the need to clarify our thoughts, focus our mind, set goals, have good intentions, be aware of our path, and watch our steps.
Lesson: One little decision can make all the difference for the rest of our life ~ good or bad.

Suz :heart:

MissCW

tarot4fun said:
Having just acquired this deck, I’m glad to see these study threads resurrected. :)

The scene reminds me of these words:
“...your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains, while all the Company is true.”
~Lady Galadriel _The Fellowship of the Ring

Suz :heart:

That is amazing you have said this because I drew the Princess last night with the Star card ..! How fitting what you wrote there ..

inanna_tarot

What strikes me the most about this card is her 'enlightened brow' like Taliesin. She has a strong yellow glow around her head, her crown and even her third eye chakra. There is inspiration and lots of thoughts turning and swirling like the winds, but they do not rock her centre of self. Like others have put better than I, her environment moves and yet she finds a place to stay still, the earth part of air.

The bird in the sky is like this connection of air and earth - needing to get a really good view or overview of something before landing and going with one idea. Shes still pondering and thinking, but with the possible hope of finding a way to ground that energy and let it run.
Or of course she could just keep flying, day dreaming and pondering, flitting from tree to tree, place to place and never settling on one path.

If we go with the inspired poet idea of Taliesin, then seeing her holding the sword its as if she wants it to be a pen, to write and let all her ideas out into the world. I find this helps me when I get inspired but yet not enough to fully go with a train of thought lol. I can see myself here a lot.

The flowers are of spring - and her connection with snowdrops and new growth, spring and the winds of change again make me think of Brighid, but I'm Brighid obsessed lol.
The flowery hedge looks more like blackthorn - ogham few Straif - the first tree to be in bloom at the time of midwinter to imbolc. She is the darker sister of Hawthorn, and the more painful one. Maybe the Princess has realised her words and speech can be a weapon as well as a friend and is pondering on the ethics, the use and damage it can do. Like a bard would satirise a bad leader or a worthy warrior.

I love all the other thoughts about her cloak and the hacked nature of it, her gorgeous hair and eyes and her crown of flowers. She really feels like the Spring Maiden.

Willow Huntermoon

inanna_tarot said:
The flowers are of spring - and her connection with snowdrops and new growth, spring and the winds of change again make me think of Brighid, but I'm Brighid obsessed lol. I love all the other thoughts about her cloak and the hacked nature of it, her gorgeous hair and eyes and her crown of flowers. She really feels like the Spring Maiden.

I too feel she is a Spring Madien, all the wild flowers around her would indicate that the Forget me Not's, Snow Drops, Buttercups, Blackthorn IMO.

The full moon in April is called the "Wind Moon" a very windy time that helps scatter the seeds of Spring around the Earth. (the billowing of her cloak reminds me of this.)

To me this Princess seems to be wrapping the sword, just because the angle she is holding it by, and whispering some spell onto the winds so her intent can be carried far and wide just like the seedlings of the Windy Moon, to plant her intent and plant her sword in the ground to physicaly tie/impregnate her intent into Earth this is a fertile time.

This card embodies the essence of Spring for me especially the month of April.
The freshness and newness after a long slumber.

I too have a special infinity with Brighid

Willow Huntermoon ;)