Druidcraft Study Group--The Sun...and how to effectively deface it

rainwolf

I hope I can start this myself, but I didn't see a group for this.

So the sun...I've read in some posts that others don't like this card as well. I was looking through my deck, and I came across this card and I thought to myself, "How could I make this card more open, and frankly, not as scary?" Afterall, the child looks like the brother of Chucky and I'd like to think happy, light, and warm thoughts when I see this card...

So, me being the barbaric card handler I am, is deciding what to do to 'change' this. I already cut my borders off (first thing I did when I got it!), and now I am thinking of taking an art eraser to the face, and turning this demon child into a faceless entity from above.

That is one part of my purpose of starting this group--to find out how to make this card more....bearable. My second of course, is to discuss it as a study group. That said, I think by defacing this 'child', I am going back to the the figurative meaning for this card: the fresh feeling after a difficult period and childlike innocence.

Any comments? I'd be glad to hear them.

Edited to add: A description of the card:

A child is standing on top of a dark brown, or possibly black horse. The sun appears around his head but there is no sillouette--possibly a miracle? The horse itself shows long, flowing hair and soft eyes that go deep and do not reflect so superficially. A harp rests on the side. The horse is dressed in a fancy decorative 'suit' while it moves through the countryside.

The horse moves with amazing grace and precision as the small child is able to ride standing up without the body tense. A bush nearby provides pollen for some bees in the summertime. Far off lies a shelter of some type, possibly representing a place of fortitude.

WolfSpirit

Hi rainwolf,
do you mean you can't find the Study Group for the DruidCraft ? If you go to the thread Index of Study Groups you will see that we have covered all the court cards in order of the book and now people are just starting threads about their favourites, I guess the moddies will add it to the Index, you can just start a thread on a card if you want.

The kid on the Sun is not my favourite but he does not bother me that much and I am not good at (re)drawing faces. So I guess I would have to resort to hiding the face behind a bird that just happened to fly over or a banner or dress the kid in a cloak, haha.
I had a closer look at the face, it is weird, it seems the only thing wrong with it is the mouth. It is the mouth of a grown woman on a child, and that gives that weird effect. Too bad he is too young to grow a moustache ;)
I will make a more serious post about the card meaning later.

rainwolf

Actually I did not find a study group for the sun and I thought this could be it; the picture itself is subject to study and interpretation so it could fit in.

I also did not mean drawing the face back in. Rather, I would just leave it blank because it would only be a soft erasing.

Free Flight

rainwolf said:
I hope I can start this myself, but I didn't see a group for this.

So the sun...I've read in some posts that others don't like this card as well. I was looking through my deck, and I came across this card and I thought to myself, "How could I make this card more open, and frankly, not as scary?" Afterall, the child looks like the brother of Chucky and I'd like to think happy, light, and warm thoughts when I see this card...

So, me being the barbaric card handler I am, is deciding what to do to 'change' this. I already cut my borders off (first thing I did when I got it!), and now I am thinking of taking an art eraser to the face, and turning this demon child into a faceless entity from above.

That is one part of my purpose of starting this group--to find out how to make this card more....bearable. My second of course, is to discuss it as a study group. That said, I think by defacing this 'child', I am going back to the the figurative meaning for this card: the fresh feeling after a difficult period and childlike innocence.

Any comments? I'd be glad to hear them.

Edited to add: A description of the card:

A child is standing on top of a dark brown, or possibly black horse. The sun appears around his head but there is no sillouette--possibly a miracle? The horse itself shows long, flowing hair and soft eyes that go deep and do not reflect so superficially. A harp rests on the side. The horse is dressed in a fancy decorative 'suit' while it moves through the countryside.

The horse moves with amazing grace and precision as the small child is able to ride standing up without the body tense. A bush nearby provides pollen for some bees in the summertime. Far off lies a shelter of some type, possibly representing a place of fortitude.

LOL Rainwolf. Son of Chucky indeed. I can see exactly what you mean! You have made me chortle though!! As usual :)

Do you have a link to post for this card...I will give a more serious answer in time..just have to stop laughing..he does look evil doesnt he or should I say Eviiiiiiiiilll
LMAO

rainwolf

Now, if you will, check my scan and my comparison of the sun and I think you'll agree that there is a striking resemblence ;)

Indeed...eviiillll.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 482
  • comparison_of_sun.JPG
    comparison_of_sun.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 484

Emeraldgirl

I always thought that the kid had kind of a sated self-satified look that was a bit too adult for someone of that age.

Free Flight

ROTFLMAO

Rainwolf you have topped the scales here.

I am never going to be able to look at this card in a positive way again!!

Free Flight

OK my serious thoughts. (although I am having trouble now)

The toddler is naked and astride a horse but not holding on at all and is standing up in the stirrups. This denotes a lack of care for consequences.

The sun is directly behind his head so only its rays can be seen. The child has a smug look on his face and putting aside all thoughts of eviiil chucky seems to be overconfident in his pose. Almost like he is possessed by the sun and has forgotten his fear of being burnt by its rays.

The day looks bright, summery and charming. The fields are green and ripe with life. The horse is bridled in rich looking kind of celebrational kit but sometimes i find its eyes a little empty.

There is a harp which I always associate with heaven and angels. and perhaps the child is meant to look slightly cherubic.

This card kind of means to me everything is rosey and happy. Angels/Cosmos/God/Nature (whatever you believe here) is looking after us but please dont take this for granted. Dont get over confident in your actions as pride cometh before a fall.

rainwolf

Good interpretation for the child standing up!

That would make sense that the child is a cherub--they scare me too!

Another point on the child standing up: I see this as overcoming the pressures and coming into the clear--physically and mentally. The child still has spiritual lessons to overcome in aeon/judgment and world.

WalesWoman

So maybe this is a bit like the Fool... see the sunny side of life and act accordingly.

I didn't see Chucky in this card before... kids get pretty smug with themselves when they do daring things and don't fall off... mine do anyway. A bit of "LOOK Ma, no hands!" So that could be a lot of what this is about... in the night he may be afraid of the dark and what's under the bed, but when the sun pops out... LOOK OUT! He can and will try everything and the more dangerous it is... the better.

In one way it's out of sequence... it could very well be the child emerging from the tomb in Judgement... only now he's on his horse making a clean get away. YEEE HAAA!