Druidcraft Study Group--The Sun...and how to effectively deface it

WolfSpirit

LOL at Chucky - I think you'd better turn it into a faceless entity :rolleyes: although I think that would still be more scary than the original :laugh:

I don't see the kid as a cherub as it is a pagan deck. The harp is a symbol of the bard, one of the druid grades, so I think the kid may be a bard in the making, but at the moment he is having fun on the horse. Does anyone else think the horse looks a lot like the wooden horses on a merry-go-around ? Maybe to add to the playful image.

In the background to the right I think we see a bit of New Grange. This makes the card tie in closely with XX Rebirth, where we see the same kid and the same building but more close-up.
More about New Grange here. You can see the exact entrance that is depicted in card XX.

In the foreground, yellow flowers with bees on them. In the druid animal lore bees stand for celebration and community.

Shade

Ok not to try my hand at armchair psychiatry but... Rainwolf have you considered that the strong negative reaction to the sun could be something that is going on in your life? Is it possible that you're projecting onto him something that you are working on right now? I don't think projecting is a bad thing, it's part of what we do reading tarot, so when someone says "Oh the Empress is so kind and healing" I assume that they to are projecting onto the card, it's the part of intrpretation that gets us past numerology and astrological correspondences.

That being said maybe some research could further understanding of the card? He reminds me of Taliesin and Llew. So I headed to Encyclopedia Mythica:

Taliesin
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/taliesin.html

Llew
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/llew_llaw_gyffes.html

Lugh
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/lugh.html

rainwolf

Thats an excellent thought shade! I'm actually majoring in psychology so I should take that into account. However I am not so sure how the sun would fit into this because for me it describes more of a feeling instead of an archetype. However, using projection, I could see how the feelings of the sun could be personally changed because I have a natal sun conjunct natal saturn. I translate this as "stop having so much fun, this is serious!".

And no, I'm not serious with that chucky picture, I thought it would make Free Flight laugh (and she did! mission complete!). But seriously, that picture is quite scary. :tremblingiconnotyetmade:

I guess I'll have to erase his face on the XX card too, just to be fair ;)

Thank you both for the links. I read about ceridwen before--an interesting story ESP since the member caridwen is on the boards. Or does the 'A' make a difference? Oh well, i dont really study celtic mythology (it that is right)

Shade

No I think the "A" is a ruse Cardiwen has used to try and sneak onto the boards without us knowing that she in an ancient celtic sorceress goddess. I think she'd probably have to pay a higher fee if Solandia knew her true identity... but we've exposed her for who she really is. Wich, if you thikn about it, is probably a bad idea... she can't be too happy about having her cover blown... and if either of us turns into a pig or moth over the next few days... well I tihnk everyone willknow why. Are there board rules about transfiguration?

rainwolf

Haha--Oh great, I just screwed about 5 of us over. It's like the ring...

WolfSpirit

Caridwen is travelling around at the moment. If we are lucky she won't discover this thread yet :shhh:

caridwen

WolfSpirit said:
Caridwen is travelling around at the moment. If we are lucky she won't discover this thread yet :shhh:

Cheeky Monkeys!!!!:bugeyed:

I'll turn you into something unnatural if you're not careful:D

WolfSpirit

Too late, I am already as unnatural as it gets :D

caridwen

WolfSpirit said:
Too late, I am already as unnatural as it gets :D

So that's why you wouldn't come to meet me;)

BTW I think that Sun card is strange as well...

Shade

It was only a matter of time Caridwen before your secret was out... but hey we're an accepting bunch here I'm sure no one will be upset about your "other life."

RainWolf, I was reading my post again and I think I come off as pretty smarmy about the whole projection thing, sorry if it came across that way. After thinking about it the sun child's face is pretty aesthetically... umm unapaealing... I'm usre his mother would say he's beautiful... but probably very few others.

The other day when I met up with Cerulean she showed me several cards she had embellished by using a very cool tape to place otehr pictures on her cards. They still shuffled well and the taped pictures came off without damaging the cards. Maybe you could put one of the guys from Instinct or DNA over the sun child without having to erase the card. They would probably make a more appropriate sun god. The sun tends to be a deal-breaker for a lot of folks, I know a bunch of people hate dthe sun from the Wolrd Spirit and it kept them from buying the deck. The Fey sun on the other hand was what made me get a copy as soon as I could.