Druidcraft .. 5 of Swords

MissCW

Hello everyone,

I was just taking a closer look at the 5 of Swords tonight ..possibly my least favourite card in all tarot decks.

I notice this has all the usual things I dont like about 5 of Swords but there are a couple of differences. There is only two people in the card, not three like most decks.

And the one things I really noticed tonight - the thing I would like you to share your opinions on - the main figure has his foot on one of the swords. I've never seen this before in a 5 of Swords card and wondered what it is trying to show.

One thought was that he had his foot there so the loser could not come back for another go and pick the sword up, but it cant be that because there is another loose one by its side. Hmmm.... I have drawn the card in a reading and its that foot on that sword I am drawn to but I cant think of what it is trying to say.

But the "winner" also looks wary, and he is giving a sideways glance to the retreating man, so maybe the loser was a more formidable opponent that the victor thought he would be, and he suspects he will come back to challenge him again. But again then doesnt explain the loose sword.

You know, its really helpful when you post in a study group because the above part has only just come to me as I am writing it down! :D

coyoteblack

Hello Miss CW

In my opinion there is no 3rd person because this person is not all that happy he had to beat the man that bad. He looks not only weary but he is not laughing or jeering at the man this tells me it was a honorable fight but that he might have lost a friend in the process.

His foot on the sword can be him holding his tongue , instead of jesting or boasting he is letting the guy keep as much dignity as he can.

le fey

Oh that sounds right, coyoteblack!

I'm also thinking the winner had to 'squash' an idea the other person had. He's got his three swords (better arguments about whatever they were disagreeing about) - one has been used with two more in reserve. The other person's ideas are there on the ground, and one just got crushed... the other has just been dropped in defeat.

The 'winner' doesn't want to hurt the other one, but had to kill off that bad idea. he's getting no pleasure out of the win though and looks concerned about the relationship that might have been damaged by the conflict.

coyoteblack

I like your idea le fey

kind of like when you need to get someone to realize a hard truth about them . like they where in a bad relationship . they finally " get it" but are hurt in the process.

You as the friend had to do it for there own good but is still does not lessen the pain.

alternative a person felt bad did the misery loves company thing and now feel bad for wrecking someone else's day.

WalesWoman

Truth hurts. Or truth wins out...
a more positive take on this card is dashing hopes or busting things that aren't true, like;

fighting gossip that has no truth in it.

Telling someone the reasons why what they believe is not true or a badly thought out plan.

Swords of Contention... things that bug you, but you can't fight them and win
Know when to fight & when to walk away.

or sometimes you have to be painfully honest, but kept yourself from delivering that killing blow (that's why he's stepping on the other swords)

Sometimes it's easier to admit defeat than fight for something that isn't going to prove anything in the long run.

Disa

I just don't feel like there are any true winners in this card. One can be successful, but at what cost?