6's and the festivals.

inanna_tarot

Reading the DC book last night (which I love to read as I always find something new to think about!) it mentions on page 42 how the aces fall at the solstices and equinoxs, which I'm fine with and can see that.
However the 6's are meant to show the other festivals of Imbolc, Beltaine, Lughnasadh and Samhain.
On the diagram on page 13 we have
Imbolc - 6 of pentacles
Beltaine - 6 of Swords
Lughnasadh - 6 of wands
Samhain - 6 of Cups.

Imbolc and Lughnasadh I sort of see in those cards, but I just dont see beltane in the 6 of swords, its so un-beltane like!! And samhain in the 6 of cups? I dont see that either.

What do you think?

cheekyminx

ohhh i'm just playing with the druidcraft now :D Let me see....

(looking now)

cheekyminx

Beltane in the 6 of swords - when most of the marriages used to occur, a time of sexuality, of having fun ;) So when looking at the 6 swords, you see a couple, heading somewhere nice. The swords are of course a phallic symbol.

Samhain in the 6 of cups - is the start of the winter and also the time where the veil is lifted between the two worlds, so contacting those that have passed over or them contacting us is easy at this time. So when looking at the 6 of cups I see someone who is remembering the past, remembering those that have passed away, remembering the long warm days of summer and spring.

*shrugs* I don't know all that much about the festivals/holidays but I thought I'd give it a go ;)

Ambrosia

I agree with the above post but I guess if you really wanted to you could substitute swords for samhain ~ the ferryman etc, and cups for beltaine ~ the spring summer feel with the kids playing with blossoms. Just a thought.

swimming in tarot

Not going too deep, here, but to relate the 6 of Cups to Samhain:
the fellow is looking at the kids playing with flowers (yeah, it looks a bit summery for late October) and there is a wall between him and the kids. The wall of time passed: he can never go to childhood again, but there is a window of memory. He can remember, and drink the essence of summer (in his cup of mead, vinted from honey, harvested from hives in autumn; and the honey made from nectar, the sweetness of summer flowers). He can also look forward in time, as the brooch over his heart, that holds his garment of lively green in place, is reminiscent of a skull: a memento mori. The law of green growth and beating hearts is death, remembered at Samhain.