Legend: Two of Spears/ Bedivere & Kay

snowy25

From this perspective it looks like Bedivere and Kay are in a deep conversation.
They are sitting in a tree and they made themselves comferteble.
One of the men is missing a hand and wears a golden hook in it's place.
Does any one know what happened to his hand?

Sophie-David

Its Sir Bedivere that has only one hand. I've looked at several references but can only find that he lost in it battle. This knight was with Arthur during his last moments in his native realm and eventually threw Excalibur into the lake at Arthur's bidding.

Bedivere has an interesting tartan cloak and looks like a seasoned campaigner. He seems to be teaching Sir Kay who looks like he may be a bit younger. Kay's legs seem to blend into the vegetation as if they were roots. In fact I get a strong sense of harmony in this card, not only between the two men but between them and the environment. The forest they are in looks harmonius yet very fertile and active. White flowers in the left foreground seem to speak of hearts that are pure. Both these men gave Arthur years of faithful service.

WalesWoman

The story behind this card is that they had to manage one of the provinces for Arthur, so they are putting their heads together and coming up with ideas, plans and strategy to run it successfully. Or that's what I think when I see it, brainstorming, discussing, figuring out how to deal with problems and keep everything running smoothly. Being wands I'm sure it wasn't always an easy or calm process. But I see this as consideration, consultation and cooperation for the better good.

snowy25

Thanks Sophie-David for the link.
I don't know all the stories very well.
This one I didn't.
I'm sure there will be something on the net or in a book were there is more on this.
(I'll post it if I find it.)

WalesWoman
A Keeper of Words didn't have much info on this card.
But your post made sence.
Being a firesighn to it's well known sometimes things or discussions can get fired up sometimes;)

WalesWoman

"All Fired Up and ready to go" sounds like a good description.

I'm thinking of how you get a couple people together and the way one idea can take on a life of it's own once they get going and into it...except Spears are Air. Darn. So maybe it's the partnership of building on ideas rather than the firey exchange of them. More of a democratic process based on respect and harmony.

WalesWoman

Here is 2 Spears

Attachments

• Legends 2 Spears.gif
    Legends 2 Spears.gif
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,000

Lyones

I strikes me that inspite of Bedivere's handicap, he is still accurate with his spear throwing, is favored by the king and given tasks by Arthur because he is capable, willing and faithful. He must have been a very determined man to not be detered by missing his right hand, and what a thing to have survived that loss in the first place without modern medical attention.

He stubbornly follows Arthur, and yet he is also a leader in his own right, and I think that Arthur realised how lucky he was to have someone like Bedivere as a companion.

Both Bedivere and Kay are given provinces to govern for Arthur, and I see this meeting as a high-powered conference, putting forward ideas, discussing what would work better, how to further Arthur's vision, working together to protect the land and it's people and make it prosper. Neither of them are put off by such a large task, they know they have each other as back-up and the authority of the king to handle whatever obstacles and responsibilities are presented to them.

crazy raven

"All Fired Up and ready to go" sounds like a good description.

I'm thinking of how you get a couple people together and the way one idea can take on a life of it's own once they get going and into it...except Spears are Air. Darn. So maybe it's the partnership of building on ideas rather than the firey exchange of them. More of a democratic process based on respect and harmony.

I thought this too, until I looked up the symbolism of Birch

In Nature Speak by Ted Andrews he says...
The birch tree... awakens the energy of new beginnings and cleansing of the past. She (Lady of the Woods) will help us manifest opportunities to clear out old ideas, those things that are no longer beneficial. She speaks to us of a need to keep our energy and efforts purposeful.

When we have something in common with another we hit it off quite well and can easily spend several hours just talking and enjoying one another. Also, when our purpose is focused on the welfare of others, we tend to express concern and be more open to discussion.

Reversed: if either Bedivere or Kay had felt more superior than the other, or if one felt he had a deeper understanding of the topic, then the conversation between these great knights may have become more aggressive creating a communication barrier and possibly arguments would have ensued.