Why Lenormands?

ann823

Greatdane, thanks for posting this, I too had wondered about Lenormand. I thought I was safe with the Melissa out of print, but I really like the looks of the one Le Fanu posted. Darn it.

greatdane

Thanks, Le Fanu and Cardlady!

Ann823, Bernice and Marina, thank you for adding your thoughts as well. I hope there are others who are finding the posts of interest.

Thanks to all for your time and interest.

GD

Miss Divine

Marina said:
Frankly, I find Lenormand much more objective than Tarot.

In fact, I confess I've been feeling quite disappointed with Tarot lately, giving more attention to my Lenormand and Playing Card studies.

Lenormand... gives you more practical things to work with. This card is about work, this combination is about illness, this other is about gossip... it points you practical things that are going on around you. Whereas Tarot tends to be quite vague (or the readers are vague, I don't know anymore). It's always "change", "potential", "strength", and all those things that seem quite useless when you are dealing with the nitty-gritty.

It's too spiritual, whereas Lenormand seems more about the daily life. That's why I have been reaching more for it than for tarot, as of late.

Yes, I agree with everything you've said here!
When I want a clear cut no bullsh*t answer the Lenormand works best for me.
There are just times in life I need a predictive answer, not some spiritual bladibla.

greatdane

Thoughts re this link?

Le Fanu

interesting link but...

I think when I see long, exhaustive lists off all the different combinations, something inside me switches off.

I think when learning Lenormand we have to think about these combinations and I personally think it is a good idea if we get to the combo meanings ourselves. Nobody can feasibly learn these long lists.

I mean, I see from that; Rider + Mountain = activity blocked, frustrating news. Yep, I think I'd get there, but I think it's good to get into the mindset of Lenormand and these combinations then come second nature, even for a beginner (and, like I say, I'm no expert).We have to see the logic in them ourselves rather than consulting/memorising such a list. I don't think it is so difficult once you get started.

After the initial page of that link concerning the Rider, I couldn't find any other pages for each card. Are all the cards listed?

greatdane

Hi Le Fanu

Yes, to the right there is a category drop down. You're right, one must think of their own combos. The person doing this site doesn't sound like she's been at it that long and says it's just to kind of follow her on her journey. She even says on some of them that she is trying to figure out what certain combos mean, so it's kind of fun to try to think of interpretations as well along with her!
Still want that Magic Lenormand, Le Fanu! Wish someone in the States was carrying it already.

GD

Le Fanu

I suppose it's like tarot reversals. You have to think what it might mean. Like, if Mountain is an obstacle for you, and it comes together with Letter, it might mean a message being blocked or something along those lines. But only by following your own logic do you get there and - more to the point - remember it!

I haven't had confirmation of my "Magisches" order yet, but hopefully it will be on its way sometime this week...

Laura Borealis

Part of the appeal for me is that it's an established system, and it has history. With many oracle decks, the reading method was created by the artist/designer; its history only goes back as far as the publication of that particular deck. The Lenormand system was devised for reading playing cards, and the decks available simply add artwork to the meanings attributed to Mme. Lenormand.

(Note I am not saying that new oracle decks/systems are invalid, just that the history of the Lenormand cards is part of what intrigues me about them. I dig my Fantod too.)

yirabeth

I believe the Lenormand is popular because there is a system, with meanings to be used, and it's very definite. This is part of what appeals to me, and why I have become interested in Lenormands. However.....

I'm going to go out on a limb, and propose a possible idea some friends and I were batting around earlier...

To many tarot can seem vague. This is perhaps because there IS a wealth of information to be gained from each card, and once you gain a general sense of what each card stands for (Assuming you decide to have a good knowledge base to work from instead of going with the 'just wing it' philosophy) you then have to decide JUST how it applies, in its many permutations! This is done using intuition (which I believe would apply to some degree in Lenormands, too, but I'm not entirely sure -- I just want to learn Lenormands, but haven't had time due to my college workload)

This is where people can falter..afraid to offend, or even just to trust their own intuition, they give a very general idea of what the card may be about. Instead, they should understand they're learning, and take that leap into the unknown! You can't learn without making mistakes.

Also important are spread positions -- another thing which is popular to ignore! However, if you DO have positions, it acts as a combination to the card occupying it. For instance, for a daily spread you have Works, and get the 5 Swords. This could mean, you'll have a run in at work with coworkers, be aware of this so you can handle it correctly! Or perhaps in the "Influences" position there will be a card that, to you, indicates your boss. You'd want to handle that far differently of course!

Of course, if that were in the self position, you wouldn't feel warned about that, instead you may decide an internal battle with your own feelings appears, from morals, beliefs, rights, or religious path -- you'd gain information on that from other cards, and intuition.

In short, I think tarot is vague because people like to play it safe :) But there is a system, albeit MUCH more complicated than in Lenormands (78 cards vs. 36) It is there to be learned, if you wish. Of course, you WILL need intuition as well -- but I haven't heard of a Lenormand reader that doesn't use that as well :) (This is where the non-intuitive readers will crawl out of the woodwork and say, HAH! ROFL)

So, I'm interested in Lenormands because there is a system to base it from. I'm also interested in playing card divination, for the same reason. (that and playing cards have been a part of my life since I could hold a deck.) But, my interest in tarot will continue -- for the same reason!

However, I have absolutely no interest in 'standard' oracles that prompt you to just wing it...

~Yira

greatdane

Le Fanu, Laura and Yirabeth

Thanks for all your thoughts.