666. Crowley is God!

siouxj73

The day is nearly over here and nothing catastrophic at all. I am somewhat disappointed. :)

fyreflye

Beast's real mark devalued to '616'

Beast's real mark devalued to '616'
National Post, Canada
May 4, 2005
Christ Wattie
www.canada.com

Satanists, apocalypse watchers and heavy metal guitarists may have to adjust their demonic numerology after a recently deciphered ancient biblical text revealed that 666 is not the fabled Number of the Beast after all.

A fragment from the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, dating to the Third century, gives the more mundane 616 as the mark of the Antichrist.

Ellen Aitken, a professor of early Christian history at McGill University, said the discovery appears to spell the end of 666 as the devil's prime number.

"This is a very nice piece to find," Dr. Aitken said. "Scholars have argued for a long time over this, and it now seems that 616 was the original number of the beast."

The tiny fragment of 1,500-year-old papyrus is written in Greek, the original language of the New Testament, and contains a key passage from the Book of Revelation.

Where more conventional versions of the Bible give 666 as the "number of the beast," or the sign of the anti-Christ whose coming is predicted in the book's apocalyptic verses, the older version uses the Greek letters signifying 616.

"This is very early confirmation of that number, earlier than any other text we've found of that passage," Dr. Aitken said. "It's probably about 100 years before any other version."

The fragment was part of a hoard of previously illegible manuscripts discovered in an ancient garbage dump outside the Egyptian city of Oxyrhynchus. Although the papyrus was first excavated in 1895, it was badly discoloured and damaged. Classics scholars at Oxford University were only recently able to read it using new advanced imaging techniques.

Elijah Dann, a professor of philosophy and religion at the University of Toronto, said the new number is unlikely to make a dent in the popularity of 666.

"Otherwise, a lot of sermons would have to be changed and a lot of movies rewritten," he said with a laugh. "There's always someone with an active imagination who can put another interpretation on it.

"It just shows you that when you study something as cryptic and mystic as the Book of Revelation there's an almost unlimited number of interpretations."

The book is thought to have been written by the disciple John and according to the King James Bible, the traditional translation of the passage reads: "Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

But Dr. Aitken said that translation was drawn from much later versions of the New Testament than the fragment found in Oxyrhynchus. "When we're talking about the early biblical texts, we're always talking about copies and they are copies made, at best, 150 to 200 years after [the original] was written," she said.

"They can have mistakes in the copying, changes for political or theological reasons ... it's like a detective story piecing it all together."

Dr. Aitken said, however, that scholars now believe the number in question has very little to do the devil. It was actually a complicated numerical riddle in Greek, meant to represent someone's name, she said.

"It's a number puzzle -- the majority opinion seems to be that it refers to [the Roman emperor] Nero."

Revelation was actually a thinly disguised political tract, with the names of those being criticized changed to numbers to protect the authors and early Christians from reprisals. "It's a very political document," Dr. Aitken said. "It's a critique of the politics and society of the Roman empire, but it's written in coded language and riddles."

prudence

6-6-6, so far in our home...

We have a Gamecube game from a few years back called Animal Crossing, a very conscientious game that wants to instill good values in the kids etc, like caring for the earth and even involves using Feng Shui in your home (in the game)...anywho, when we got it for our son he of course had to liven this sweet little game up a bit by naming the town in which all action takes place "Hell". (he was 8 yrs old at the time, he is still a wiseass :D)

Well today, on this unholiest of days...my beautiful little six year old girl is playing Animal Crossing and is having a fun time in Hell, Feng Shuing her home. And her Soul/Personality cards are, you guessed it, The Lovers and The Devil. })

Happy 6-6-6!! :party: }) :party:

oh, and I should probably add here that so far we've had no signs of the apocolypse...no Horsemen.... a weird creepy governor for sure, but nothing out of the ordinary. :)

prudence

more sublte shades of the Beast in suburban Cali

....so, later on we had my son's buddy come to visit..they played quietly, and contentedly ...but I knew something was afoot.

Look outside, they are happily enjoying the outdoors...no Gameboys in sight. This aroused my suspicion right away.

They were joyfully setting fire to ants with a magnifying glass.

Ah, but of course.

So, the Beast would have been perhaps glad, perhaps...something else?

I Put a stop to the ant torture, and tried my best to explain how this was indeed an act of cruelty, visited upon the Ants, by an army greater than theirs.

But the boys did not really listen.

They were just ants and thus my words were wasted.

Maybe someone will hear.

But still no apocolypse.

And that is cool. })

Abrac

"In the Golden Dawn, great importance was attached to Enochian and it was believed that eighteen of the Calls were designed to invoke the Angels of various magic squares while the purpose of the nineteenth was to invoke the thirty Aires, these being considered by Mathers and his disciples as new dimensions of consciousness. Strangely enough, while all the Adepti of the Golden Dawn were taught about the thirty aires and the Call which supposedly removed the minds of their users to these Aires, no one seems to have ever practised the technique save Crowley. - Megatherion, The Magickal World of Aleister Crowley; Francis King; 2004, Creation Books; Page 58 (Italics Mine)

The Enochian Calls seem to have been of more imporatnce to Crowley than to Mathers or the rest of the Golden Dawn. It makes me wonder if this is the basis for his numerical formula on the Ace of Disks: 6+6+6=18+1=19. I doubt Crowley would have been influenced by an obscure Biblical manuscript that has only recently been made readable. Yet it is interesting to ponder.

Abrac

Lillie

But...

616 is such a boring number! :(

I'm sticking with 666. I'm a traditionalist.

And anyhow, that older version isn't the original version. And it could be that, rather than later versions, that had the mistake.

Yay for 666.
I watched the omen. I know where it's at.

rainwolf

wizzle said:
I'm almost finished with Crowley's biography, "Do What Thou Wilt " by Lawrence Sutin. I've enjoyed it and believe it's a fairly sympathetic portrayal.
Just ordered '777 and other...' and the biography; cant wait to read them!

(recent crowley interest uprising, sorry :))

ravenest

Abrac said:
The Enochian Calls seem to have been of more imporatnce to Crowley than to Mathers or the rest of the Golden Dawn. It makes me wonder if this is the basis for his numerical formula on the Ace of Disks: 6+6+6=18+1=19. Abrac

Thats because the Ethyrs produce vastly easier results than the elements and it is a much simpler form as well. I have seen results from the Ethyrs, with people of virtually no magical experience, nearly straight away. Not the same with Enocian elemental work.

AC would have found this a very effect way of working while wandering around the desert with his boyfriend. Have a look at the "Vision and the Voice", the result of the working.

ravenest

I Did It !

Check out that little number on the left guys, I did it! 666th post!

Wooop, wooop, wooop!

Here is my special 666th poem

PAN & BABALON

Man and Woman once were light
and played in the garden of earthly delight.
Their life and love moved ever on,
Hail Pan and Babalon!

All seemed fine and well in hand
until Jehovah made his stand:
“It’s all for you ........ except for that,”
(and pointed to the apple flat
where rows of golden apples flared
and branches danced upon the air)
"Don't eat them and you will be fine.”
“They WERE before you spun that line.”
the serpent said, as he came along that day
and so led Adam and Eve away.

To the apples Eve went with Adam beside her,
they took great tubs and made gallons of cider.
- The next day, (after the hangover had passed)
they saw new signs; ‘Keep off the Grass!’
“Put on these clothes, cover up your head.”
A stern Saturnian angel said.

And by guilt or by gall
many men fell to Jehovahs thrall.
And in their sacred hierarchy
only developed the patriarchy.

So, in secret, caba-crucians cast in their lot,
in darkened vaults under Camelot.
And pagan Knights with Holy Grail
did the very house of god assail.
- they went to savage heathen lands
and joined in with satanic bands
but the church did act, because this was sin.
(They’ed let the secret mysteries in!)
They bought from strange and foreign lands
the mysteries of initiations sands,
they broke the power of church and state
but now grow rich, fat and sedate.

So the mystery moved once more,
now knocking on Daleth’s door,
as the natural Universal Course
bought fourth Woman in her force:
The new formula of Teragrammaton;
Nuit, Hadit, Babalon, Therion.
(”He, Yod, He, Vau !”
The Rabbi cried, “Holy Cow!
“They’ve put Hathor up in the sky,
-they’ve put her first, not Adonai!
“This must be a deadly sin,
it’s the Man that brings the Woman in!
“They must be playing dirty tricks,
it’s straight out from the apocalypse.")

In that old dead acliptic doom a prophet lieth dead
and from the blood flowing from her womb
a new flame rises instead.
To the children of her eagle brood
she gives the very Sun for food
To live in light and love and strife
on evolutions anvil- life.

A new banner shall acclaim
the wondrous nature of their name,
for Beauty and the savage Beast
will live in their own peace
and their life will continue ever on,
if in temples (with their incense smoke)
gather all good, brave folk
and chanting all night long,
call to the starts in passionate voices,
speaking as one who truly rejoices
(seeing themselves as Stars that liver ever on)
“Hail to thee O thou Pan and Babalon!”

Ross G Caldwell

Quoth the raven a right riotous pome.

Felicitations, ravenest!

Ross