Goddesses and Sirens

autumn star

Are the goddesses in this deck listed anywhere? I am looking for a new goddess deck, but I would like one with some specific goddesses in them.

Red_Ocean

Are the goddesses in this deck listed anywhere? I am looking for a new goddess deck, but I would like one with some specific goddesses in them.

Amaterasu
Andromache
Aphrodite
Artemis
Athena
Baba Yaga
Bast
Boudicca
Brigid
Eostre
Freya
Gaia
Hathor
Hekate
Helen of Troy
Hera
Isis
Ix Chel
Jeanne d'Arc
Kali
Kuan Yin
Lakshmi
Lilith
Maat
Morgan La Fae
Muses (graces)
Nuit
Oya
Persephone
Pomona
Quetesh
Sekhmet
Sheela Na Gig
Sirens
Valkyries
Vesta
White Buffalo Woman
Yemaya

Hope this helps anyone else! :)

Glass Owl

Thanks for the list of Goddesses.I so want this deck and now I can at least do some research on them. Can anyone think of of someone that didn't make the cut that you think should have?

Maybe I can even come up with some spreads based on them, even if I have to use it will a different deck.

Tanjamuse

I thing maybe Frigg is missing from the Nordic mythology.

autumn star

Thankyou, Red_Ocean :) That list hepls me make up my mind, it does have the goddesses that I was looking for - Persephone, Morgan Le Fay, I like the Valkyrie too.

Thanks for the list of Goddesses.I so want this deck and now I can at least do some research on them. Can anyone think of of someone that didn't make the cut that you think should have?

Maybe I can even come up with some spreads based on them, even if I have to use it will a different deck.

I think that there are also some missing from this deck. I would have liked to see some of the Welsh deities like Airanrhod, Cerridwen & Rhiannon. I think that Selene and Sedna should have been in there too. Overall though there is a pretty wide selection :) and I think that I will get this deck.

Red_Ocean

I wanted Venus, Hel, Fatima, Coatlicue, Frigg, Virgin Mary, Magdalen, Pandora, and Medusa to appear on this nice selection, as well as others.

Glass Owl

I would have liked to see some of the Welsh deities like Airanrhod, Cerridwen & Rhiannon.
I like the story of Blodeuedd and think she would be a good choice as well.

I wanted Venus, Hel, Fatima, Coatlicue, Frigg, Virgin Mary, Magdalen, Pandora, and Medusa to appear on this nice selection, as well as others.
Medusa - that would have been an awesome choice. Too bad they can't release a second series along with one for the Gods and Titans (which I totally love).

I still don't have this deck unfortunately and it has been on the top of wish list since it came out :( I'm hoping that I will get it for a Mother's Day present.

Shade

I got this deck and I have really enjoyed it though several people I showed it to were underwhelmed - to each their own.

The goddesses in the deck appear in the same art style as the Gods and Titans which is sort of a modern sword and sandals film aesthetic (The Immortals, the Clash of the Titans). On the dvd for the remake of Clash of the Titans there is a "making of" segment where the director is talking to the costume designer about how Perseus' look needs to read as "cool." When pressed by the costume designer he says (and I am HEAVILY paraphrasing) that just recreating a historically accurate outfit won't work for a modern, mostly male audience. So here we have the gods not as our ancestors would have ever imagined them but as we might imagine them in a badass action pic.

Nearly every single Goddess is depicted in a battle stance, brandishing a weapon - most often a staff. The impression I had looking briefly through both decks is that the goddesses are depicted as being in battle poses more often than the gods were.

Because of the battle pose choice some cards - at this very early stage in my relationship with this deck - don't convey much of the meaning of the goddess. For example Eostre the Spring Goddess that the book relates to New Beginnings seems strange in her pose. The sky is dawning behind her and I will say that she does have an attitude of "beginning" but I think the giant battle staff may get in the way. The preponderance of images showing battle goddesses left me feeling that those images of goddesses in repose were the most effective. Pomona's quiet sense of fullness, Brigid's airy lightness and especially a depiction of Lilith as Leonardo's Vitruvian Man are amazing to behold.

The reason the mostly dynamic intense fantasy art depiction of the goddesses ultimately does not bug me is that we have SO MANY goddess oracles out there that the art choices of this one really make it stand out on the landscape of goddess decks. While Gods and Titans was the only God oracle deck I can think of I have culturally accurate goddess decks, young hip diva goddess decks, modern feminist goddess decks, and I kick myself constantly for not buying a deck that depicted all the Goddesses as older women.

I bought this deck as a companion for the Gods and Titans oracle but I feel it stands on its own. Currently the all-battling beauties thing does give the cards a bit of sameness but - have you ever listened to an album and thought all the songs sounded alike but when you listened to it a bit longer you start to see the differences? I think that will happen with this deck.

Some random thoughst about individual cards:

Remember the spooky cards from G&T like Ah Puch, Acat and to an extent Cernunnos? This one has a very terrifying Baba Yaga.

Conversely while most Sheela Na Gig depictions can be a little disturbing to look at, the one in this deck is quite subtle.

I was surprised that Isis looks very different in this deck than the way she did in G&T on the Osiris card. I preferred the G&T version but this one is still good.

The choices of weapons for each Goddess are often interesting or at least fun. Vesta brandishes a fiery staff and Morgan le Fay hurls potion grenades.

One card I had a hard time loving is Aphrodite (keyword: Self-Love). The book is positive on her description, talking about her ability to inspire self-love but the image of her adoring herself in a hand mirror while her attending men cannot look upon her seemed to me to be critical of her. I may be overthinking it - I did notice that the cards I am critical of Isis and Aphrodite are two of my favorite goddesses.

There is some curse on Goddess decks that keeps MOST depictions of Asian goddesses looking caucasian. Amaterasu and Kuan Yin look like white women.

On a positive note while I felt like G&T was very notciably lacking any depictions of black men (maybe Thoth?) Oya and Yemaya are lovely in this deck.

I was very happy with the Apollo card included in this deck and moved it over to my G&T.

Most creative card (to my mind): Lilith as the Vitruvian Man

Least Creative: Nuit - who ultimately appears a beautiful woman in the sky with a staff. She's not even blue and starry.

Card that most seemed to be missing: Medusa. Like others mentioned I couldn't believe that the most iconic mythical female monster did not get a card

Most surprising inclusion: Jeanne D'arc. Who knew?

Le Fanu

Interesting review Shade, thanks for that. I don't think this is for me but I appreciate your comments. I'd like to see this deck in action on someone's blog...

Mariqueen

I got this deck and I have really enjoyed it though several people I showed it to were underwhelmed - to each their own.

The goddesses in the deck appear in the same art style as the Gods and Titans which is sort of a modern sword and sandals film aesthetic (The Immortals, the Clash of the Titans). On the dvd for the remake of Clash of the Titans there is a "making of" segment where the director is talking to the costume designer about how Perseus' look needs to read as "cool." When pressed by the costume designer he says (and I am HEAVILY paraphrasing) that just recreating a historically accurate outfit won't work for a modern, mostly male audience. So here we have the gods not as our ancestors would have ever imagined them but as we might imagine them in a badass action pic.

Nearly every single Goddess is depicted in a battle stance, brandishing a weapon - most often a staff. The impression I had looking briefly through both decks is that the goddesses are depicted as being in battle poses more often than the gods were.

Because of the battle pose choice some cards - at this very early stage in my relationship with this deck - don't convey much of the meaning of the goddess. For example Eostre the Spring Goddess that the book relates to New Beginnings seems strange in her pose. The sky is dawning behind her and I will say that she does have an attitude of "beginning" but I think the giant battle staff may get in the way. The preponderance of images showing battle goddesses left me feeling that those images of goddesses in repose were the most effective. Pomona's quiet sense of fullness, Brigid's airy lightness and especially a depiction of Lilith as Leonardo's Vitruvian Man are amazing to behold.

The reason the mostly dynamic intense fantasy art depiction of the goddesses ultimately does not bug me is that we have SO MANY goddess oracles out there that the art choices of this one really make it stand out on the landscape of goddess decks. While Gods and Titans was the only God oracle deck I can think of I have culturally accurate goddess decks, young hip diva goddess decks, modern feminist goddess decks, and I kick myself constantly for not buying a deck that depicted all the Goddesses as older women.

I bought this deck as a companion for the Gods and Titans oracle but I feel it stands on its own. Currently the all-battling beauties thing does give the cards a bit of sameness but - have you ever listened to an album and thought all the songs sounded alike but when you listened to it a bit longer you start to see the differences? I think that will happen with this deck.

Some random thoughst about individual cards:

Remember the spooky cards from G&T like Ah Puch, Acat and to an extent Cernunnos? This one has a very terrifying Baba Yaga.

Conversely while most Sheela Na Gig depictions can be a little disturbing to look at, the one in this deck is quite subtle.

I was surprised that Isis looks very different in this deck than the way she did in G&T on the Osiris card. I preferred the G&T version but this one is still good.

The choices of weapons for each Goddess are often interesting or at least fun. Vesta brandishes a fiery staff and Morgan le Fay hurls potion grenades.

One card I had a hard time loving is Aphrodite (keyword: Self-Love). The book is positive on her description, talking about her ability to inspire self-love but the image of her adoring herself in a hand mirror while her attending men cannot look upon her seemed to me to be critical of her. I may be overthinking it - I did notice that the cards I am critical of Isis and Aphrodite are two of my favorite goddesses.

There is some curse on Goddess decks that keeps MOST depictions of Asian goddesses looking caucasian. Amaterasu and Kuan Yin look like white women.

On a positive note while I felt like G&T was very notciably lacking any depictions of black men (maybe Thoth?) Oya and Yemaya are lovely in this deck.

I was very happy with the Apollo card included in this deck and moved it over to my G&T.

Most creative card (to my mind): Lilith as the Vitruvian Man

Least Creative: Nuit - who ultimately appears a beautiful woman in the sky with a staff. She's not even blue and starry.

Card that most seemed to be missing: Medusa. Like others mentioned I couldn't believe that the most iconic mythical female monster did not get a card

Most surprising inclusion: Jeanne D'arc. Who knew?

Super late, but I was underwhelmed by the Isis card in this deck too and mostly for me because of how amazing ALL the Isis cards are in her deck which Jimmy illustrated as well. I want to know what happened with the G&S illustration of her :(