Faerie Tarot: Eight of Wands

Alan Ross

Most of the minors correspond fairly closely to typical RWS interpretations. This card deviates more than most. Usually, in RWS based decks, the Eight of Wands signify rapid change, a swift progression of events. In this card, we have a couple of faeries riding a snail.

A snail???

This is not the embodiment of blinding speed I was expecting. I suppose I should be thankful that one usual significance of this card is covered, the significance of travel, even if its s-l-o-o-o-w travel. The LWB refers to "simple things in life, such as a pleasant stroll." It also states that "nothing is rushed, everything is done thoughtfully."

Well, I suppose that if you're face with a lot of Eight of Wand changes, it could be a good idea to proceed thoughtfully, refusing to be rushed. This is, however, a very different perspective from the RWS norm. The LWB does mention that something "will soon change for them." Four wands are planted firmly in the ground, possibly signifying a stable foundation for future developments, while the other four wands are suspended in the air, possibly signifying that change is "in the air."

I have no idea what the turrets in the border signify. Could they be the starting point of the riders' journey? or their final destination?

Alan

Alan Ross

After doing a little research on the 'net, I discovered that the interpretation of many cards in this deck, including this one, are based on Etteilla's interpretations rather than typical Rider Waite interpretations. For the Eight of Wands, Nathalie gives the following:

"Nothing is rushed, everything is done thoughtfully... This card also represents rest, and all that refers to nature and the countryside... Leisure, peace and quiet."

Here are some Etteilla significances from the Supertarot site (http://supertarot.co.uk/index3.htm):

"Pastime, Relaxation, Festivities, Peace, Calm, Tranquility, Innocence, Country Living."

I can see now that Nathalie, who is from France, is following a french divinatory tradition in this deck.

Hemera

I have never understood the snail here either..
Snails are such a terrible nuisance in my garden and I don´t like them much so this has been a bit of a problem card for me.
I think your explanation has helped me a lot with this card and the snail is beginning to make some sense now... Thank you for the link Alan!