The fish in the cup

.traveller.

Better!

Psychology defines intuition as the absence of conscious AND rational thought.

Rational means having reason or understanding.

Logic:
Etymology: Middle English logik, from Anglo-French, from Latin logica, from Greek logikē, from feminine of logikos of reason, from logos reason

capable of reasoning or of using reason in an orderly cogent fashion

the science of the formal principles of reasoning.

So by definition, intuition exists in the absence of logical thought. It is not enough for conscious thought to be absent, as it is in your argument, but reason must be absent as well.

So if you believe that your "hunches" are from a logical base, so be it. It makes more sense then to prove that hypothesis rather than make the argument that logic = intuition.

Debra

I am fairly observant and "quick to see" when it comes to other people and their motivations. (I am sometimes right and sometimes not.)

When I have an "insight" I can work backwards to figure out where it came from. I don't attribute my insights to something irrational or illogical or mystical, in other words. I assume there is something I've observed, or a set of observations that I've put together unconsciously, that produce the "Ah ha!" insight.

The people at the metaphysical shop where I hang out, on the other hand, characterize this as "highly intuitive" and suspect that I have latent psychic talent.

If you knew me you'd be laughing too.

Abrac

Psycho Cybernetics has a lot to say about this. Intuition is probably not something apart from logic, but is a sort of "super logic" that operates just out of reach of our conscious awareness.

The crowned one

firemaiden said:
I defy someone to convince me there is a difference between logic and intuition.

I am not sure I can convince you as we all create our own reality's based on our own perceptions. Yours are skewed toward a false peace between logic and intuition (cheeky or believed ;) ). They work together if you have the ability to work them as a dymanic team but are not the same. Not even close to me.

I think you are more thinking of a form of deductive reasoning, sort of Heraclitus light.

We need to separate the two: deductive as what "appears" self evident and inductively, from what we observe. You are making a classical Hellenic mistake: belief in deductive luminous axioms, invented in a clever mind, rather then scientific method and logic..

I would like to quote a man I respect: Bertrand Russell: Two things are to be remembered: that a man whose opinions and theories are worth studying may be presumed to have had some intelligence, but that no man is likely to have arrived at complete and final truth on any subject whatever. When an intelligent man expresses a view which seems to us obviously absurd, we should not attempt to prove that it is somehow true, but we should try to understand how it ever came to seem true. This exercise of historical and psychological imagination at once enlarges the scope of our thinking, and helps us to realize how foolish many of our own cherished prejudices will seem to an age which has a different temper of mind."

I feel this sums up beautifully just how well logic and intuition can work together. Now I want to show why they differ. I feel to most the differences are rather obvious, but we are looking for a sort of philosophical discussion rather then dictionary. Cool with me.

The roots of logic( as I see it) can be traced to the Greeks. Logic can be thought of as a proposed means to precisely communicate knowledge and its underlying justification. This is of course the root of scientific method (think Aristotle as Glymour for the foundation and a pretty good essay of early idea's of logic rules) and this is the rudimentary's of logic that involves alot of gods and Mystictisum to boot.. I feel you are arguing from here.

Your are not arguing logic but inductive vs deductive reasoning I feel.

One is valid or not valid rather then true or false, this is deductive. Inductive logic goes beyond our current evidence or percepts , this is sort of "averages" for example all the ice I have felt is cold, so all ice is cold, or out of 100 pieces of ice 100 were cold, therefore ice is cold....

So that is logic, simplified, but I hope reasonably clear. I can expand if need be.

Intuition, on its own is not logic, but the outcome can be logical once we take the time to derive it.

Intuition is the acquisition of knowledge with out the use of logic. I guess we could say beliefs we can not prove, and that is certainly not logical eh? Gut feelings are intuition, not logical, because they are based on what? Nothing logical, but are often right. Intuition can be a sort cut to the truth but it is not logical. Intuition by default lacks deductive reasoning which by default logic must have.

They are very different but can compliment each other and I believe some of mans greatest discoveries could not have happened with out the teamwork of these two very different processes.

I forgot about the fish in the cup! Perhaps later.

gudrunn

i think it doesn't

As most of us already know water is a symbol of emotions, and the fish in the king and knave not only reinforce that but the fish also suggests an idea or thought of a matter concerning the querent or the person who the card is representing in the life of the querent. I don't know what you guys think it's just me...

Parzival

The Fish In The Cup

Surprise! a new thought
Leaps out dark waters of mind
Surfacing meaning.

What new thought for you
Leaps out dark waters of mind
Surfacing meaning?

--a little haiku that tries to get at the image

Debra

This is lovely, Frank.

nisaba

firemaiden said:
Hm.... how Nisaba, how do you mean, tied up with the wounded healer? What wounded healer.

If it is a reference to the fisher-king, how ? Just because it is a fish?
Sorry I didn't get back to you - I overlooked the thread. There is some very basic information on both here, and an absolute bomb of literature in mystical and Arthurian literature. Karl Jung appropriated the phrase, he didn't coin it. He imported it from mysticism.

AmethystEyes

That fish I saw as his sensitive side, like an animal lover type of thing. Also what I just thought of that I see there was talk of was intuition. Pisces is represented by a fish right? And they are said to have great intuition and are the highest on the astrological circle.

TarotGirlUK

BrightEye said:
Did you mean the Page? I always see him as looking into his soul. The fish is an aspect of his soul, but this being a Christian deck, I think nisaba is probably on the money.

Just my thoughts :)

Fish live in water. Water is in motion, unpredictable, and representative of the subconscious and is the association of the suit of Cups which represents emotions and feelings.

Perhaps because he is looking at the fish, which might be is representative of his emotions within the water, he is looking into his Soul, as BrightEye said, or he is just becoming aware of what his emotions and inner feelings en-tail :)