Help with a re-occuring dream...

EmpressArwen

I keep having the same dream over and over. The dream won't be exactly the same but they always have certain things that are the same.

The most recent version: I need to get somewhere (not sure where)...I feel really anxious about getting there on time. My grandma (who is deceased) shows up in a van to drive me to where I need to go. It's raining and we need to go on a road by a river. The river is really high and it is raging. My grandma is driving really fast and I'm scared because the road is narrow and the river is so close to touching the van. At this point, the river is over the banks and we are driving through flooded areas. We get to a sandy/muddy beach area. My grandma stops and says "we are here." I get out of the van and I say, "it is too late." I'm looking at an imprint in the mud...it is clear that a small elephant had laid there. You could see the whole outline of the body and even the trunk. But the elephant itself was gone...I look up at the road we had driven on and we were completely surround by water. I knew we couldn't get out...that we would drown/die here. I felt scared and very upset that I didn't find what I was looking for.

The constants in these reoccurring dreams...

1. my grandma
2. needing to go somewhere/see something
3. raging water...sometimes a river overflowing, sometimes a flood from rain
4. finding that what I sought was already gone
5. being trapped, knowing that I was going to die there without having found it

So I've looked up some the images and sought advice but I just don't think I'm getting it,obviously I'm not because the dream keeps happening.

My grandma - I loved her very much. I miss her terribly..maybe this is just me missing her?

Needing to go somewhere/see something - I often feel like I am missing some part of me...that I'm not whole. Maybe I'm seeking wholeness.

Raging water - very emotional, feeling overwhelmed?

Finding what I'm seeking isn't there - maybe this means I'm looking for something that can't be found?

Trapped and dying - sigh. I don't know here...that I'll never feel whole?

As you can see I'm a little lost, any help will be very appreciated. Thank you.

celticnoodle

I keep having the same dream over and over. The dream won't be exactly the same but they always have certain things that are the same.

The constants in these reoccurring dreams...

1. my grandma
2. needing to go somewhere/see something
3. raging water...sometimes a river overflowing, sometimes a flood from rain
4. finding that what I sought was already gone
5. being trapped, knowing that I was going to die there without having found it

So I've looked up some the images and sought advice but I just don't think I'm getting it,obviously I'm not because the dream keeps happening.

My grandma - I loved her very much. I miss her terribly..maybe this is just me missing her?

could it be that your grandmother is coming to you in these dreams and 'driving' you to a healing state? Since she is the one driving the vehicle you are both in, I feel that she is looking over you and with the raging waters in the dream--which speaks of emotions--I feel she is wanting to help you heal from whatever could be emotionally upsetting for you right now.

Needing to go somewhere/see something - I often feel like I am missing some part of me...that I'm not whole. Maybe I'm seeking wholeness.
exactly! What in 'real' life is bothering you? big or little. is there anything that you are dwelling on?

Raging water - very emotional, feeling overwhelmed?
could be a feeling of being overwhelmed. Definitely something that is emotional for you.

Finding what I'm seeking isn't there - maybe this means I'm looking for something that can't be found?

Trapped and dying - sigh. I don't know here...that I'll never feel whole?

As you can see I'm a little lost, any help will be very appreciated. Thank you.

because you can't seem to allow yourself to get over whatever it is that is bothering you in real life. I have a feeling it might be something that you think is insignificant, but yet you can't let it go. You think about it a lot--thus your grandmother is coming through to try and help you let it go. Or perhaps it is that you feel cut off by something/someone(s)? Perhaps family members or friends whom you held/hold close--and now seem to be cut off by them/from them?

What is it that is bothersome to you--something that you don't believe you dwell upon, but when you are asleep, it is obviously coming up in your mind--and you are worried/upset about it.

I don't really know how else to word it and hope you can understand what it is I am trying to say here.

I also wonder if you can direct your dream to where you FIND the answer you need while still dreaming? Its not an easy thing to do--but perhaps if you consciously tell yourself that the next time you dream this--you WILL find what you and Grandma set out to find and all will be well.

Does this make sense to you?

I also find it interesting that you were searching for the elephant--I guess to help free it? Elephants are well known for their great memory. Is there a memory that you are just holding onto that is upsetting to you? If you can free the elephant, perhaps you can 'free' your upsetting memory and stop having this dream.

I also looked up 'sand' at a dream dictionary online, and it says this:

Sand
To see sand in your dream signifies a shift in perspective or a change in your attitude. Consider the familiar phrase, "the sands of time" in which it may be suggesting that you are wasting your time or letting time pass you by. If the sand is wet, then it indicates that you are lacking a sense of balance in your life.

hope you can figure this out and correct it.

Ace

I am sorry you are having such a disturbing dream. What is the "elephant in the room" that you cannot talk about/deal with. And my partner who had a lot of therapy says that water is emotion. I DO think your Grandmother is trying to guide you, but she can only take you to the place then it is up to you to figure out what the elephant is.
Ace

EmpressArwen

could it be that your grandmother is coming to you in these dreams and 'driving' you to a healing state? Since she is the one driving the vehicle you are both in, I feel that she is looking over you and with the raging waters in the dream--which speaks of emotions--I feel she is wanting to help you heal from whatever could be emotionally upsetting for you right now.

exactly! What in 'real' life is bothering you? big or little. is there anything that you are dwelling on?

could be a feeling of being overwhelmed. Definitely something that is emotional for you.

Well right now, I'm worrying about our financial state but this dream started long before then so I don't think that is it. I think I need to dig deep here. A friend pointed out that my biggest mind-consuming issue is always SPIRITUALITY. I just want to know, you know...just have this overwhelming desire to understand, to have a solid belief system..and maybe my subconscious greatest fear is that I will never find the answer, never feel that peace, that knowing. How to let that go? I just don't know.

because you can't seem to allow yourself to get over whatever it is that is bothering you in real life. I have a feeling it might be something that you think is insignificant, but yet you can't let it go. You think about it a lot--thus your grandmother is coming through to try and help you let it go. Or perhaps it is that you feel cut off by something/someone(s)? Perhaps family members or friends whom you held/hold close--and now seem to be cut off by them/from them?

My Grandma represents pure comfort. She always made me feel better..not by anyhing she said or did, just by being around her. I don't know for sure how that fits but maybe it could be that I just need some comfort? I often feel cut off from my family...they are great, love me, respect me, treat me well but I look at their lives and it seems so easy for them. They don't sit around pondering the cosmos. They have there belief systems and just go about their lives. None of them even think about the stuff that I do. I sometimes envy their ease...just their comfortable way of being. I don't have that...at all.

What is it that is bothersome to you--something that you don't believe you dwell upon, but when you are asleep, it is obviously coming up in your mind--and you are worried/upset about it.

I don't really know how else to word it and hope you can understand what it is I am trying to say here.

I also wonder if you can direct your dream to where you FIND the answer you need while still dreaming? Its not an easy thing to do--but perhaps if you consciously tell yourself that the next time you dream this--you WILL find what you and Grandma set out to find and all will be well.

I will try this. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Does this make sense to you?

I also find it interesting that you were searching for the elephant--I guess to help free it? Elephants are well known for their great memory. Is there a memory that you are just holding onto that is upsetting to you? If you can free the elephant, perhaps you can 'free' your upsetting memory and stop having this dream.

I also looked up 'sand' at a dream dictionary online, and it says this:

Sand
To see sand in your dream signifies a shift in perspective or a change in your attitude. Consider the familiar phrase, "the sands of time" in which it may be suggesting that you are wasting your time or letting time pass you by. If the sand is wet, then it indicates that you are lacking a sense of balance in your life.

hope you can figure this out and correct it.

Thank you so much for all your help (as usual :) ). I'm going to think on all of this. Such great info!

((hugs))

EmpressArwen

I am sorry you are having such a disturbing dream. What is the "elephant in the room" that you cannot talk about/deal with. And my partner who had a lot of therapy says that water is emotion. I DO think your Grandmother is trying to guide you, but she can only take you to the place then it is up to you to figure out what the elephant is.
Ace

Thank you very much for your reply. I just don't know what that elephant in the room could be. I can definitely see the water being my emotions...I drown in emotions. lol no pun intended. That part about my grandma made me smile....sounds just like her. She was always there for me but would never tell me what to do. I can just hear her saying, "What? I drove you here and now you want me to tell you what you are supposed to do here too!? " lol

Thanks again. I will keep pondering the elephant...though I am wondering if I'm going to like what I find. eek.

celticnoodle

I was also thinking it could be a very spiritual dream--one about your spirituality. Perhaps your grandmother was driving you to where you need to start from with your spiritual journey.

Also, remember that EVERYTHING we experience is a spiritual step for us. Everything we feel, everything we have learned, everything about us. All our experiences, good and bad is a spiritual building block into whom we are, and whom we will become-spiritually, if you will.

I'm sorry you are experiencing such hardships in your life, and I'm not trying to sound flip, but everyone has something difficult to deal with in their life. Some more then others, yes, but each experience will help you to develop more spiritually. Does this make sense? Perhaps you won't allow yourself to ever "find that answer, feel that peace, that knowing" because just as you begin to-you desire even more. You are on a spiritual quest after all--after 'more'. For you, and many of us, its a never ending journey.

My Grandma represents pure comfort. She always made me feel better..not by anyhing she said or did, just by being around her. I don't know for sure how that fits but maybe it could be that I just need some comfort?
this is so lovely, EmpressArwen. :) And, yes, I do think that because you do feel so comforted by grandma, that she is the one who comes to you, so she can comfort you--and especially when you need it the most.
I often feel cut off from my family...they are great, love me, respect me, treat me well but I look at their lives and it seems so easy for them. They don't sit around pondering the cosmos. They have there belief systems and just go about their lives. None of them even think about the stuff that I do. I sometimes envy their ease...just their comfortable way of being. I don't have that...at all.
Perhaps its because they don't really care about it. They are happy with the way their lives are progressing now and don't really seek anything more? In some ways that is nice and yet, in some ways, sad too--for them.

I will try this. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thank you so much for all your help (as usual :) ). I'm going to think on all of this. Such great info!

((hugs))
:) Thank you. :) And, hugs right back at ya! :) (((EA)))

Ace does have a great point in their post. Your grandmother is guiding you, but she can only take you so far and then it is up to you to figure out your next step. (what that elephant is).

Good Luck and let us know how things progress for you.

EmpressArwen

I was also thinking it could be a very spiritual dream--one about your spirituality. Perhaps your grandmother was driving you to where you need to start from with your spiritual journey.

Also, remember that EVERYTHING we experience is a spiritual step for us. Everything we feel, everything we have learned, everything about us. All our experiences, good and bad is a spiritual building block into whom we are, and whom we will become-spiritually, if you will.

I'm sorry you are experiencing such hardships in your life, and I'm not trying to sound flip, but everyone has something difficult to deal with in their life. Some more then others, yes, but each experience will help you to develop more spiritually. Does this make sense? Perhaps you won't allow yourself to ever "find that answer, feel that peace, that knowing" because just as you begin to-you desire even more. You are on a spiritual quest after all--after 'more'. For you, and many of us, its a never ending journey.

That is the thing...I don't consider my life hard. Yes, the money issue stresses me but I don't think in the big scheme of thing that it is a huge thing. I just want to be happy, be peaceful.

this is so lovely, EmpressArwen. :) And, yes, I do think that because you do feel so comforted by grandma, that she is the one who comes to you, so she can comfort you--and especially when you need it the most. Perhaps its because they don't really care about it. They are happy with the way their lives are progressing now and don't really seek anything more? In some ways that is nice and yet, in some ways, sad too--for them.

:) Thank you. :) And, hugs right back at ya! :) (((EA)))

Ace does have a great point in their post. Your grandmother is guiding you, but she can only take you so far and then it is up to you to figure out your next step. (what that elephant is).

Good Luck and let us know how things progress for you.

Yes...none of them care about this stuff. They are just the kind of people that go to work, are nice to people, have fun when they can...and someday die. Not a bad way to live but I'm obviously not like that. lol At all.

I will keep trying to figure out the elephant...I tried to dream last night but ended up have a scary dream. Maybe forcing it to come won't work for me on this...sigh. Thanks again,dear.

celticnoodle

You know, my own siblings are the same way and many of our friends too. Sometimes I look at them too and think they've got it so easy! For me though-there is more out there and I just feel like I need to have access to it too. It is sort of what drives me--always pushing on to find 'the answer' or to get more out of life. So, we're different then our siblings and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

You will figure out the elephant. I'm sure of it. :)

danieljuk

this is about your goals / direction

Hi Empress, I am sorry you have this disturbing reoccurring dream and you can't get to the bottom of it :( My first thought about the whole dream is that the theme is drowning in emotions and second thought is that your Grandma is there to help you or guide you. Does she have a quality or something about her that is something you admired about her? Perhaps you need to handle things in a way more like her.

I do agree with the other takes on it about something in your life currently. Are you stressed out or is it an anniversary of your Grandma and thinking about her more? There is something going on that you are dealing with or have to deal with.

Are you always going somewhere in a hurry, in a stressed, anxious way? "I have to be at this place by this time" sort of thing. Is your work / job/ life quite stressful with responsibilities like that? this could be about burdens and responsibilities.

Dying in the fast flowing water, is such an emotional transformation of yourself! I looked up the symbol of the elephant and it can represent memories of the past but also patience and other qualities like strength and power. The part in the dream is really interesting.

Your Grandma is helping you by driving, going on a journey along a road. I think that represents your direction in life and getting to your goals. like in career or in other ways of life. Perhaps you have a goal you really want to get. She is helping you, the road is a little narrow and along side the river (emotions). So there is obstacles in your direction / goal. But not physical obstacles in the road, apart from it being narrow. The obstacles are emotional! Even though you go to the end place safely, it was still too late. Perhaps you feel that what you want in direction / goals is unachieveable by you or if you leave it as long as possible you don't have to work torwards it! You know if you leave for somewhere really late, so you just have to deal with the last 15 mins of a party or something like that (I have done that ;) ). It's an avoidance I think! Or perhaps you feel it's too late to achieve this one :(

So you miss what it is you need to be there for and the mark of the elephant in the mud and then you were trapped to your death. I think the elephant represents patience and strength, transformation is about to happen. also you don't say how you feel about this? was it really scary? I kind of feel this is rebirth and transformation! I feel quite positive personally about the end, even though you are trapped!

your goals seem unattainable and I would really do work on this area. What do you want? can you get it? I think your Grandma is a really positive omen, you have help from her and the universe! Perhaps with the lateness and rush you might feel it's too late already. It's cool I think you can still achieve something you want, work through this and the dreams will stop :thumbsup:

I hope this fits in some way! :)

EmpressArwen

Hi Empress, I am sorry you have this disturbing reoccurring dream and you can't get to the bottom of it :( My first thought about the whole dream is that the theme is drowning in emotions and second thought is that your Grandma is there to help you or guide you. Does she have a quality or something about her that is something you admired about her? Perhaps you need to handle things in a way more like her.

My grandma was the strongest person I know...physically she could work anyone under the table. She worked very hard her whole life. Oh how I dreaded the days she would look at me and say, "Let's do a little cleaning today." lol There was nothing LITTLE about her cleaning days. She was the center of our family. After she died, my mom and my aunts had a falling out...cousins no longer talk. It's like when she died, the family died with her. She was emotionally strong too. My granpa left her when my mom and aunts were pretty young. He never gave her a dime...but I never heard her complain. She worked so hard. She was also my friend. I loved making her laugh by saying naughty things. I remember I was bitching about my grandpa being an ahole (he was parading around his 20 years younger gf at the time) once with her and my mom. My grandma said,, "people make their choices. We just have to move on with our lives regardless." I was all fired up and said, "well, I'm glad you're not with him...I would vomit if I knew you had to have sex with that wrinkly old, hideous man." lol my mom about died but my grandma laughed for 20 minutes...finally she said, "Arwen, a day doesn't go by when I don't have a chuckle about something you've said...I'll be laughing about this one for years." oh man...I miss her. :(

I do agree with the other takes on it about something in your life currently. Are you stressed out or is it an anniversary of your Grandma and thinking about her more? There is something going on that you are dealing with or have to deal with.

Are you always going somewhere in a hurry, in a stressed, anxious way? "I have to be at this place by this time" sort of thing. Is your work / job/ life quite stressful with responsibilities like that? this could be about burdens and responsibilities.

I am always in a hurry...always...and for no reason at all. I'm chronically early. I would go into panic attack mode if I wasn't at least 20 minutes early to everything...even things that don't actually have a set time! Something you said here triggered a response in me...the I have to be at this place by this time feeling. wow...seriously I just had an epiphany...so I'm 37 and it bothers me that I am not further in my life...like I pictured by 40 I would be financial better off, more emotionally stable, settled spiritually...just generally have more to show for my life's efforts. But that isn't the case and I'm panicking that I'm not going to "get there" on time...or maybe ever. I just realized this...thank you!!! Not sure how to not feel like that but at least I know that it's there bugging my subconscious mind.

Dying in the fast flowing water, is such an emotional transformation of yourself! I looked up the symbol of the elephant and it can represent memories of the past but also patience and other qualities like strength and power. The part in the dream is really interesting.

That is what I would like in a way...to die to my self...to not feel these attachments to things, to achieving, to outward shows of success. I would like to be very zen like...just flowing, loving, giving, receiving from the universe without being tied to an outcome...does that make sense?

Your Grandma is helping you by driving, going on a journey along a road. I think that represents your direction in life and getting to your goals. like in career or in other ways of life. Perhaps you have a goal you really want to get. She is helping you, the road is a little narrow and along side the river (emotions). So there is obstacles in your direction / goal. But not physical obstacles in the road, apart from it being narrow. The obstacles are emotional! Even though you go to the end place safely, it was still too late. Perhaps you feel that what you want in direction / goals is unachieveable by you or if you leave it as long as possible you don't have to work torwards it! You know if you leave for somewhere really late, so you just have to deal with the last 15 mins of a party or something like that (I have done that ;) ). It's an avoidance I think! Or perhaps you feel it's too late to achieve this one :(

Another epiphany lol...so maybe I'm afraid that even if I am financially successful, achieve something nite worthy, etc...I will still not "have it". Like I still won't be happy or peaceful because truly that is all I want...just contentment..for the seeking to end.

So you miss what it is you need to be there for and the mark of the elephant in the mud and then you were trapped to your death. I think the elephant represents patience and strength, transformation is about to happen. also you don't say how you feel about this? was it really scary? I kind of feel this is rebirth and transformation! I feel quite positive personally about the end, even though you are trapped!

I was anxious and afraid but mostly just kind of disappointed that I was going to die without ever finding it.

your goals seem unattainable and I would really do work on this area. What do you want? can you get it? I think your Grandma is a really positive omen, you have help from her and the universe! Perhaps with the lateness and rush you might feel it's too late already. It's cool I think you can still achieve something you want, work through this and the dreams will stop :thumbsup:

I hope this fits in some way! :)

Truly, I just want to be unattached to the outcome..of everything, just to flow like water, cool, clean gently flowing river...to be at peace regardless of the external circumstances...this makes me think of Buddhism (which I know very little about). Maybe I should look that up?

***I decided to do an automatic writing and I wrote a quote. I looked it up! lol It's a quote said by Winnie the Pooh

"Rivers know this. There is no hurry. We shall get there someday."

Wow. That about sums it up, right?! Thank you so much. I appreciate your help very much.