Has anyone with Spanish cards done this...

Lee

Hi Cerulean,

As Tongodiva suggests, I think $5 would be rather expensive. I got a deck by walking into a Latin American dollar store in Arizona, you could probably do the same thing in California.

-- Lee

Cerulean

The Neoclassica and Romantica arrived...

...more than $5 and they were from Grimaud and Fournir, through Alidastore.com..perhaps there are more readily available and closer sources for the beautiful reproductions...but I feel happy that I have these.

The Grimaud 1810 one is 48 cards and charming for the courts in pantaloons, long locks and the engraving of the pips, so it seems Napoleonic like my favorite di Gumppenberg 1810 Neoclassical Tarocchi...Ace and Two have decorative touches, even the coins in Three and Four have different heads, not the same design...the Number Four of each suit has a small scene insert in the pip cards.

The Baraja Romantica has my heart for the most romantic, as the Victorian transfer designs, soft watercolor washes and slight blurring seems charming. I'd say the Aces through fives of each suit have interesting designs, then the courts are as lovely.

It reminds me that transformation cards and Hodges Astrological cards had decorative pips around the 1800s. Now I think I see that decorative pip cards were a more natural development around playing cards than I first imagined...

I'm using the very simple and gentle "Fortune Telling Book" by Gillian Kemp--it's not too expensive and the feeling of each description is more positive than the dire doom and gloom of some fortune-telling cartomancy books.

The packaging of the Neoclassica and the Baraja Romantica are very nice and will keep the reproductions safe and beautifully straight--although to me, these playing card size decks seem sturdy enough. I just don't like doing Las Vegas style flip-shuffles with my decks, though.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Real world story and unexpected reading...

The charming 48 card Neoclassical and Romantica decks are a week old and I felt drawn most to the Romantica, which follows a pattern identified as the "Cadiz" pattern set in 1847. The pattern from Antonia Chavarria card maker was around from 1841 to 1864.

The coloring is similar to the majors of the Giorgio Trevisan Romantici, with beautiful blue-greens and supposedly, a small tradition of some of the fours of historical Spanish decks is the beautiful insets--typically romantic. This deck has additional costume and mythical figures on the aces through fours and courts (10, 11, 12), which is a pleasure. I've been studying them for art charm. They also have female pages, which is a novelty for Spanish cards.

After an appointment this morning, I went to a used bookstore and browsed the different sections. In the antiques section, a handpainted book had such lovely illustrations and the author, Stefan Salter, wrote in such a familiar and kind voice of his casual collecting in Europe from the 1930s through 1970. The handpainting by Hilda Simon was very very nice. The book fell open on 'tarot cards' and while the pattern looked more like playing cards, the story was how the author missed the bus, was stranded for three hours in a very hot small town and somehow happened in an antique shop. His last purchase was 'tarot cards' and five of the cards chosen for illustration was briefly described in passing. He had just enough time to grab his final purchase and literally run after the returning bus, shouting and catching attention before it made it's way back to the town where his hotel was located.

The story was captivating; the cards were also enchanting, and I bought the book and read it in a nearby cafe. I did a reading with the cards displayed, using the tarotlike meanings from the Revelations Tarot book, which is similar to the Arthur E. Waite style of gathered meanings in Pictorial Key:

3 of Swords: Miscommunication, misunderstanding
The author, not speaking Spanish and noting troubles with the bus in the hot weather, takes a tour. However his caution at eating at local places in hot weather had him search out a deli with fresh food; he was served and ate his sandwich, strolling back to the bus stop; he missed the bus and saw it's tailpipe of smoke as he stood at the fountain. Meantime, it's getting quite warm.

Ace of Swords -Mental prowess, intelligence
Making the most of his situation, he looks around the square of the fountain and finds its siesta time for many shops or places; however he finds the one or two people who are moving about will come to the fountain for water or refreshment. He manages to talk to someone who knows French and is pointed to an area that might have an open antique store.

Four of Swords - Rest and recuperation
He finds a shop where the kind owner allows him to enter in the air conditioned space...the author takes a leisurely stroll and finds things to delight him.

7 of Batons - The card of the warrior spirit...
The author finds a goblet that has the three fates and a German declaration of "Spin on for a long time" and it's unusual attractive declaration is his first purchase. While he looks around, he decides he is almost done, then finds the small deck of cards catching his eye. Great condition, handpainted, unusual...he asks, no information is forthcoming, and pays the equivalent of $5, which is reasonable for 1958.

King of Batons - Charisma, charm, witty and intelligent
The author literally has to run for the bus for about a block and shout to catch the driver's attention, but he makes it. And he writes about the trip and the finds and the 'tarot cards' afterwards, describing it's old-fashioned suits and successful finds in a chapter of his book in Mallorca.

The artist, Hilda Simon, did such a good job that I was able to identify the pattern in the Fournir Museum catalog by the King of Wands. The card has a 12 on the upper left hand corner, broken lines around the border, four red balls in the green club/baton, a green robe with red-pink coat, yellow cuffs and white lined borders and yellow crown. The head has longish hair down the neck and a mustache.

In the Fournir catalog, page 82-83, it is most similar as far as I know to the entry 600, related to the deck of 40 cards made by the Rodolfo de Olea, Cadiz, with designs of the region (Cadiz), year 1905...it is very similar to the Leon pattern here:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/belgium/hidalgo.html

Other Cadiz patterns:
http://www.wopc.co.uk/spain/cadiz.html

I'll post scans or a link...I adore card or tarotlike allegories coming to life unexpectedly! Close enough for me to feel a charming affection and affinity to these things...it may mean nothing more than a pleasant afternoon discovery, but it's charm is still fun to share, nonetheless. Hope you fans of such things had some fun reading this..

Regards,

Cerulean

Lee

Thanks Cerulean, I enjoyed those scans, and the reading/story as well!

-- Lee

levannah60

Oh my, I thought I was the only one....I have two decks of those cards, the red one and the blue one. Blue one a bought two days ago. I don't much go by the meanings on the website though.

levannah60

By the way, I bought both my decks at a 99 cents store.

catlin

*sigh* some more for my wish list.

MareSaturni

Phew...you can buy this deck in any small shop here in Brazil, specially where i live. I have a deck like this, but i use it to play Truco, not divination :p

If you wish, i can get one for you. I mean, it's VERY easy to get one here.
The cards are pretty, different from the standard deck.

~Yuko

Skydancer

Hi!!
I have a niece from Brazil, but can never catch up to her to buy cards there!!

In the meantime, do you have a PayPal account? I could PM you, but thought others here might be wondering the same. What is the currancy exchange these days??

So - roughly how much for one deck with shipping to US and how much for 2 decks?

Thanks!

I hope this info helps others as well.

(I live in the Boonies so don't have access to a Latin American book store!!!!) :D

*S*

Ladybro

Sometimes I read with that Cartas Españolas without Major Arcanes