Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

NoelleNoey

Rodney,

Thanks for explaining it to me :D I understand what u mean about using keywords for a card. I assigned key words to my cards and I think that's where I started to get confused. I believe I've got alot of work to do in order to understand my cards.

rachelcat

rwcarter said:
Specific questions or discoveries about the Thoth should probably go in the Thoth forum since there doesn't appear to be a study group for the deck. A general update about your studies would be fine here, but the posting of any form or format that you're following probably shouldn't go here.

Hiya, Rodney and Nicky! After I posted my pledge last night, I realized I should have asked advice on where to post our studies. I'm thinking it should be the Thoth study threads in the Thoth forum. And since there are three of us Thothites, the study threads will be nice and cozy!

Or do you think we should start an individual study thread for ourselves, like "Rachelcat's Thoth IDS Thread"?

Like I said, I'm leaning toward the already existing study threads. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

nicky

rwcarter said:
nicky, it all depends on what "stuff" you're referring to. This thread is primarily for your highs and lows about your studies. Specific questions or discoveries about the Thoth should probably go in the Thoth forum since there doesn't appear to be a study group for the deck. A general update about your studies would be fine here, but the posting of any form or format that you're following probably shouldn't go here.

Rodney

Okey Doky ... I'm not that good a rules person anyway ...
as per an update... I found my DuQuette book which was such a wonderful resource on the Thoth and began to reread it last night. Ended up reading until 2am and woke up with a headache...which may mean Uncle Al was out drinking with me on the astral (or not... wish I could recall if I had any dreams like that) LOL.

Immediatly recalled why the deck was so overwhelming and thought I bit off more than I can chew but this morning I am back on task as it were :)

Nicky

rwcarter

rachelcat,

I'd just post to the existing Thoth threads. Why recreate the wheel if you don't have to?

nicky,

Drinking with Uncle Al on the astral plane? :laugh:

Rodney

Mateo06

I was thinking, maybe exchanging readings within the IDS will help members get to know their deck better. I have started reading the study group for the H/R deck, and thought offering readings me get better in so many ways. Search every horizon, and leave no rock unturned I guess you could say. There are so many resources available,I figured Intesive study woudl require the utilization of all of them offered on the AT forum.

rwcarter

Great idea Mateo. Once I had a firmer grasp on my first IDS deck (the Ancient Egyptian) I offered readings for feedback in the Personal Readings forum. It went very well. I don't know if it would've gone as well (for me) if I had done the readings before I was comfortable with the deck though. But I think that as long as folks indicate in the thread that it's a deck they're learning to use that the Querents will cut you some slack if you don't get it right.

There is already an IDS Reading Circle thread from the first IDS. There's no reason it can't be revived or a new Reading Circle started.

Rodney

SolSionnach

Thoth. is. kicking. my. ass. and. messing. with. my. head!!

I'm doing more of an ODW (reading with one deck, rather than studying the cards individually - to open up one's intuition), and my readings have been... interesting.

My first reading (which I posted here) was spot on, very insightful, and a great beginning. Then I did a door/window reading on my business. The first card is supposed to be what I want my business to become - and I got the 7 of Cups! W.T.F. No way!

My third reading was for a character in a book I'm reading, and it made perfect sense again.

Then I did a reading about my job (not my biz - two different things). I work for a non-profit which I just heard is expecting a 1.5 million dollar deficit by August. Not good.

So I did a 5-card spread about that: past, present, hidden influence, advice, outcome - and it was all hearts and flowers! I mean, the 9 of cups for PRESENT! WT major F. Outcome of Temperance. As I just PMed a friend here, I think that it's pissed off after being in a drawer for years. I'm going to clear off my coffee table, and spread the deck out there for the day. I'd already put it in order once, and because I'm having difficulty shuffling I don't want to do that again... but I mean! This is just crazy.

rwcarter

sravana,

Yeah, maybe the Thoth is a little testy with you right now. Maybe try asking it what it will take for you to have a good working relationship with it?

Rodney

nicky

Rodney,
I stole your idea from your post to sravana, and asked myself how will the Thoth deck and I get along.
the cards :
QW - KnC - 10C - and 2C fell out while shuffling which I take as extra info.

FWIW, I don't generally use positions when I read.

QW -this is my card, according to birthday, so I took this as a good fit... how encouraging to have the first card pulled be 'my card'.
KnC - I took this to be also encouraging, but warning that this will not be my 'forever deck'. I find this card often says a quickie is in store - enjoy it while it lasts. :)
10C- More of the same... alot of enjoyment but not a forever thing .. but it felt like an abundance of enjoyment...cups overflowing.. (I think I am gonna love this deck!).

For the card that falls out (hey you need to look at me) 2C
I think this card implies this deck could not only be one I love but could be a real working partner for me when I do readings. Many times when I do reading parties or whatnot I want to have a non RWS deck to offer and this looks like the Thoth will (someday) be that alternate style deck :)

I don't know if you wanted these posts here but what the hell...

anyone?

Nicky

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
sravana,

Yeah, maybe the Thoth is a little testy with you right now. Maybe try asking it what it will take for you to have a good working relationship with it?

Rodney
Good suggestion!
I threw three cards, no positional meanings, and I got 2/Wands, 2/Cups, Prince/Disks.

Looking at the three cards, I see an X, a triangle, and a vertical line. I notice that Air is not represented, leading me to believe that an intellectual take is not what's needed.

Dominion/Love. The most opposing elements (fire/water), but under the influence of duality, the two.

My deck wants enthusiasm and trust from me, with an undercurrent of focused study. IOW, just let go of all my preconceived notions of the deck/Crowley, etc, but *study* the deck. So... and IDS, rather than an ODW. I guess I'm not ready for an ODW with it just yet.

I received my deluxe Thoth from tarobear's lair (geez, that was quick), and the not-so-LB looks like a good re-intro to the deck. I'll be looking at that first of all. Interestingly, the cardstock is noticeably thinner than the regular sized deck from the 1990s, and the finish is divine. I also love the smell of the deck - for some reason it reminds me of bananas! :p I've noticed that my older deck seems a bit sticky - I'm either going to wipe it off with a slightly damp paper towel, or use fanning powder, or both. I like how the edges are grey - I did use this deck quite a bit back in the day. I guess that's why it's sticky now. :eek:

Nicky, I notice that you've got the fire/water thing going on, too... even to the point of the Knight being fire OF water. (come to think of it, the Prince/Disks is *air* of earth, so I do have air in my draw.) I think this speaks of enthusiasm and emotion together, as we go into this project.

(I just noticed that my court card is the Knight/Disks - based on my sun sign - supposedly hopelessly stupid. Geez.)