Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

ravenest

ravenest said:
Sorry ? Are you saying you are trying to understand how a 'really talented' reader can fail at predicting the future?

That must be one of the easiest things to understand :confused:

Why don't you give me your theory about it ? I don't think it's as simple as you make it, and I don't think we would all agree with the possible explanations...

Do I really have to explain why a tarot reader can get it wrong?

The answer is obvious and is contained within what both of us have said ... I'm not going to re-run the conversation and explain each part of it and what it means :rolleyes:

Anyway ... the simplest answer is ... things change, people have choice and no one is perfect ... even a good reader can fail to get it right everytime

ravenest

I totally, TOTALLY agree with you on this one, ravenest, but I have yet to understand where you stant exactly on the question of WHY TAROT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK AT PREDICTING THE FUTURE...

Because it DOESNT predict the future!

You have it in your head that it DOES .... yet you see it sometimes doesnt ... so you are looking at ... or trying to understand why it dosent work at times as that goes against your belief system and you want me to explain something to you that doesnt exist .

The better question is ; why does it seem to us that sometimes tarot CAN predict the future?

Then you might get somewhere with it ... but a lot of people here dont want to think that way about it so .... <shrug>

ravenest

No, I'm afraid I agree with ravenest on this one...either the future can be predicted, or it can't; either the reader can predict it, or he/she can't....and if she predicts something, and the opposite happens, she simply got it wrong, full stop.
If indeed there are so many variables, and there's free will, and everything is so open, then in my opinion, there's no point in even trying to foretell the events....to take the example of the weather forecasts again, who would watch one where the guy says " Tomorrow it might be sunny and warm; on the other hand, it might rain and possibly there might be storms as well....depending on tomorrow's winds, which way they will be blowing..."
I mean, what good would that do to someone trying to plan a trip, maybe by boat ? Nobody would watch them again !....

Ohhh ... it sounds like a tarot reading .... except the language is more subtle in a tarot reading :)

ravenest

If you think the future is an invariant result of the past, you might think we could (theoretically) predict it "perfectly," so if our predictions are not perfect, then our fortune-telling is at fault.

This is a mechanistic view of the universe. A --> B --> C.

But the universe is not mechanistic. Randomness and uncertainty are built in to the system. The future is not completely fixed by past events. It is probabilistic. The best we can do is to identify the trends.

Yeah ! :)

ravenest

Nobody knows how it works, that's the whole point...And I also think that the connection of everything is probably the reason why it works...but I still don't think those readers-like many Others, no doubt, all over the world-have failed because they're human and were influenced by her in some way. Of course we, as humans, can fail, but believe me, I have seen her cards, in that case, more than once, and even a monkey could have read them-and now I expect an endless series of jokes and comments on how monkeys can be good excellent tarot readers just as any of us...

Not so ... monkeys have a very sticky electromagnetic field that causes the cards to come out in the wrong order. })

Nikita_

Nikita,
If I may ask, what has the time frame been so far in your story?

In the example I gave you of myself, the reading I originally gave myself is closing on 8 years now and still isn't over. I think many people also fail to consider that our time frames do not always coincide with what we read. I've seen from many discussions on this forum that opinions vary greatly in how far tarot readings can "see". I personally believe there is no such thing. A reading can "see" as far as you continue to exist as far as I'm concerned, so maybe your fairy tale is yet to be told...

I did take the time frame thing into account...the thing that puzzles me is that now, when I do readenings for her, on that relationship the cards that come up reflect clearly that it's over...I mean like Death and the World....well, thank you, tarot cards, for stating the obvious!!! This is mirroring the present situation correctly, not seeing the future...!

Nikita_

Ohhh ... it sounds like a tarot reading .... except the language is more subtle in a tarot reading :)

It sounds like one of YOUR tarot readings, maybe ! Remind me not to ever ask you for one !!!

Nikita_

Not so ... monkeys have a very sticky electromagnetic field that causes the cards to come out in the wrong order. })

Have you had tarot read to you by a monkey ???

Nikita_

Do I really have to explain why a tarot reader can get it wrong?

The answer is obvious and is contained within what both of us have said ... I'm not going to re-run the conversation and explain each part of it and what it means :rolleyes:

Anyway ... the simplest answer is ... things change, people have choice and no one is perfect ... even a good reader can fail to get it right everytime

Can 3 tarot readers who usually get it right get it wrong all on the same occasion, for no reason, and with unambiguous cards ??
And don't give me the " we're all human beings " reply, it's been done a million times already in this thread, and I've already replied to each one of them...

ravenest

It sounds like one of YOUR tarot readings, maybe ! Remind me not to ever ask you for one !!!

No ... nothing like the way I read tarot actually ... but since you have decided that is what I do ... and so you will never ask for one ... I suppose you will never know or understand the way I read, ... <shrug>

Have you had tarot read to you by a monkey ???

No ... I wouldnt do that because ; " monkeys have a very sticky electromagnetic field that causes the cards to come out in the wrong order."